What rides are the same at FL and CA

familyman12

Earning My Ears
Hi, we live by Disneyland and go there all the time and love it. Now we are going to Disneyworld fore the first time and don't want to spend time going on rides or to shows that we can see anytime at Disneyland. So I need someone with experience at both parks to advise. I've looked through some guides and web sites, but I can't find one that specifically talks about this.
Please help.

I'm not sure if I would say this would be easier saying what is the same or what's different.

Epcot, Soaring and Turtle Talk is the same. I don't think anything else in the park is in DLR except Innoventions but it's not like the DL version.

DHS, ToT is different make sure you ride. Muppets and Toy Story are the same. Star tours is but you may want to see it one more time before they change the ride in DL and DHS.

AK Bugs life is the only duplicate.

MK Most is the same, Jungle Cruise, Splash, HM are different and IMO must dos. Of course Dumbo and Teacups are about the same but they are simple rides. Most things have little differences like the layout. It does have a couple attractions that are not in DL and some that have left DL are still in MK. Tiki Room is not great in MK only see it if you are really interested. Pirates and the speedway are a shame compared to Pirates at DL and Autopia.

Stay on property and if you want to eat a lot and enjoy table service meals use the Dining Plan.

TIKI: "Under New Mngmt" courtesy of Gilbert Godfried at MK vs. traditional at DL
JUNGLE CRUISE: virtually the same if not actually the same
INDY: no Indy ride at MK, only an Indy Stunt show at DHS
POC: que lines are different, ride is different
HM: que lines are different, ride is extremely similar
SPLASH: virtually the same if not actually the same
POOH: different
BIG THUNDER: virtually the same if not actually the same
BUZZ: slight differences between the two
STITCH: thankfully, does not exist at DL
STAR TOURS: located at DHS, soon to be updated to next gen
MONSTERS INC: an interactive comedy show at MK, a ride at Cali Adventure
ASTRO ORBITERS: same ride but located on elevated platform at MK
TOMORROWLAND TRANSIT: operational at MK, not operational at DL
CAPTAIN EO: currently showing at DL, soon to be showing at EPCOT
SPACE MOUNTAIN: different, recently updated
AUTOPIA is at DL, TOMORROWLAND SPEEDWAY at MK
NEMO SUB: only at DL
MATTERHORN: only at DL
COUNTRY BEAR JAMBOREE: at MK
HALL OF PRESIDENTS: different from LINCOLN at DL.
FANTASYLAND: major expansion happening at MK. Mickey's Philharmagic is at MK but not DL
TOONTOWN: Roger Rabbit at DL only, roller coasters are different. Toontown overall is different between locations
SMALLWORLD: different exterior theming. attraction is different but won't seem that way.
CASTLES: You can dine (need reservations) at Cinderellas Castle in MK. Cinderella's castle is much more grand and majestic.

That is the major differences between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. However there are some DL and CA attractions that are located at Epcot and DHS.

At EPCOT: LIVING SEAS, ELLEN's UNVERSE OF ENERGY, TEST TRACK, MISSION SPACE are not at DL/CA

At DIS HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS: Rock n Roller Coaster is similar but different than CA Screamin'. Tower of Terror is slightly different, Fantasmic is at DHS, Beauty and the Beast is at DHS, Indy Stunt Show, great Movie Ride, Lights Motors Action, BAcklot Tour, Muppets is the same, Sounds Dangerous (horrible), American Idol Experience, Prince Caspian thing, Toy Story Mania has different que lines but same attraction, Star Tours the same but to be updated to next gen.

Animal Kingdom: all different from DL or CA. Dinosaur is similar platform as Indy Jones ride but totally different experience.

Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon: Only at WDW, totally awesome

Boardwalk: worth spending an evening there to enjoy the street performers, etc...

Downtown Disney: much different and better in FL in my opinion. see LaNouba if you can, it is amazing but pricey.

Also, there are a whole lot more table service restaurants among the parks at WDW compared to DL and CA. Make reservations.

Soarin is @ Epcot (& exactly the same.) I grew up going to DL. You'll find the magic kingdom @ WDW will feel almost exactly like DL, with the differences noted above. The castle @ WDW is grander, there's no Matterhorn and no lagoon w/ submarines. The monorail stops in front of the MK. If your time is limited focus on Epcot, AKL and HS, all completely different and new experiences from DL. Be prepared, WDW is HUGE compared to DL. Study the transportation system, it's key to getting around and maximizing your time. I also like to visit different resorts on site - usually having dinner there, there's nothing even close to the Poly or AKL @ DL. Be sure to hop the boat between Epcot & HS so you see those resorts. Just be aware, once you experience WDW, you may become a frequent flyer.

This thread reminds me of something I've meant to ask on these boards. I always wondered why the Matterhorn wasn't built at MK in WDW. It was always a DL staple growing up.

Just a few other notes or additions to the PP's comments. POC and HM both have similiar scenes, but are often in a different order, which can make the ride feel very different. For HM, I wouldn't have said extremely similiar because there are several scenes in at MK that aren't at DL (like the larger library, footsteps, etc.). We really like both rides at DL and make a point of riding them at MK because they are different enough (opposed to things like Soarin' which are identical or virtually identical).

One 'not really a ride difference' note, is that the loading system for Peter Pan is much better at MK. It's on a moving sidewalk, rather like HM, which did make things seem a little smoother.

I read that MK is getting a new fireworks show this summer, but the current one (Wishes!) is very different from the show (Believe, Remember, etc.) at DL.

I don't think they have Mickeys Philharmagic at DL, but at MK. Nice 3d show that!

I've been to DL well over 100 times and to WDW only once. I say experience it all - even the rides that are the same. I can't think of a single one where the queue is exactly the same. Even the teacups are set under a covering that makes it feel a little different. I really enjoyed discovering the differences between the rides and coming up with things I liked about both. There will be some disappointments and some nice surprises. Have a great time!

Just be aware, once you experience WDW, you may become a frequent flyer.

This is sooooo true. :thumbsup2 After taking my dd to WDW at 10 months, I swore I wouldn't take her again until around 6 when she'd really get something out of it. Well, I have 3 more trips scheduled...all before she turns 4 :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter