What really works for pet stains/odor?

I am happy to see this thread. Not that I have a great product to endorse, but that I am no the only one living with pee stained and smelly carpet. :guilty:

I mean- what can you do??? Personally, we are waiting until the kitty passes away and then getting hardwood!:laughing:

Personally, I think Nature's Miracle sucked. And I thought it was very expensive too. I think it was $24 for a gallon bottle...yikes! My main pee culprit passed away in December. But when he was still alive and I would find a fresh pee spot, I would just drag out the steam cleaner. I appreciate the budget friendly tips. Next time I'm gonna try the Borax or vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Thanks!

All these remedies are great, but it still may be an easy medical problem to fix. I would talk to the vet for sure. My dog started having this problem when she was 12, but we put her on meds and after that my carpets were pee free until she died at 15.

We have an older dog who apparently can't "hold it" like she used to, and as a result our bedroom carpet is now stained and stinks. Can't afford to have professional carpet cleaners come right now, so I wondered if anyone knew of a product that would help, especially with the odor!

Spot Shot

I use hydrogen peroxide on all pet and kid accidents ranging from pee to vomit; works on the smell and the stains!! Has not ruined my carpet; however, I would recommend you testing a small area of yours before using!!

We use Nature's Miracle. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. 1 is a puppy. It works.

Another Nature's Miracle user...we buy the gallon jug, it is cheaper in the long run. WE then transfer it into spray bottles.

We have 2 dogs and 1 cat as well.

Good luck!

At my (cat) hospital we swear by Urine Off. Animal Odor Eliminator (A.O.E.) works pretty well too. But I agree about getting your vet involved. "Old age" is not a disease in and of itself. These kinds of things (inappropriate urination, weight loss, etc.) aren't "normal" - something is causing it.

I am happy to see this thread. Not that I have a great product to endorse, but that I am no the only one living with pee stained and smelly carpet. :guilty:

I mean- what can you do??? Personally, we are waiting until the kitty passes away and then getting hardwood!:laughing:

Just to warn you - hardwood floors can smell too!!! A few years ago we had two male dogs living with us for a short time. They engaged in a pissing battle (literally) and the house reeked!

Not to hijack the thread....but do you think vinegar or hydrogen peroxide would work on leather couches and the fabric between the cushions on the couches?

In my old house I had this issue due to a dog that just didn't want to be trained (despite my best efforts and dollars for a trainer). So, he got nice new digs outside and I called a professional steam cleaner guy. He said white vinegar. You can use specialty products for the stain etc, but when doing the rinse - put vinegar in the water. It worked like a charm....

Also - when I steam my rugs I remember what he told me about detergents. They actually attract dirt after you steam - rug looks great for a bit but then the dirt attracks to the detergent residue. I always use vinegar in the rinse water to cut that detergent residue. It has worked for me to this day. I may smell like a salad for a wee bit after but it is worth it to me.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have a puppy that although she is getting better we have a little ways to go.
I did try the vinegar idea but it doesn't seem to be working. Especially, when it humid outside, it seems that the smell is worse.

I guess I will try Natures miracle.

Thanks again!

Hey! Thought I'd bring back this thread to you all, since I have a related question...

My DMIL told me she read an article about how dangerous pet urine is to have in your flooring. Now, since I subscribed to this thread, I obviously have an elderly cat/pee problem. I have tried the removers, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, etc....I think the problem is deeper than that-no pun intended. The pee has soaked into the pad and/or floor, and there is a smell. We will have to take up the carpet.

But UNTIL then, do any of you know if this carpet is DANGEROUS?? I have googled everything I could think of, but found no articles saying it is dangerous to be on carpet saturated with old pet pee.

I have kids that play on this carpet, and I will pull it up TOMORROW if it's dangerous. If it's not, then I will have to put up with the odor a bit more.

Thanks, guys! I know you'll have some answers!:hug:

This board is always a life saver! I was just at my wits end about this, but now I have some ideas to try!

Thank you all for posting!

We tried everything with a former cat and nothing really worked until we got rid for the cat and replaced the carpet and padding. :)

baciDogs.jpg

I don't think I'd let my kids play on a carpet that has been peed on. Could you buy a throw rug or those rubberized play mats for the areas your kids are on? That way if the cat peed on the rubber mat it would be easy to deodorize.

Good luck. I'm going through this right now with two new puppies. My solution was to pull the carpets up and put down new floors. It wasn't a cheap solution!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter