What Photo Site?

MarkBarbieri

Semi-retired
What photo site do you use and why?

I used to use PBase. They were good, but they added pretty low storage limits.

I switched to Smugmug several years ago. The things that I love about them are:
1) Virtually unlimited photo storage (I've got several gigabytes of photos there)
2) Flexibility in how you arrange your pages (although the default style is also quite good)
3) The ability to upload pictures at their original resolution but people can see them at several smaller resolutions
4) I can directly reference photos there from another site
5) People can view my photos without having to become members, get spam, etc.
6) People can buy prints from my photos (good for relatives)
7) They support cool new technology like geotagging photos and RSS feeds

My pet peeve are those sites, usually designed to sell prints, that show only small copies of pictures and that require you to register before you can view anything.

and we can offer a discount for new folks!
here is my personal discount code EDfLfDAAygNVM Mark has one as well and since it's his thread....
www.mnmstudios.com

Mikeeee

It looks like they upped the price to $39.99 per year. I still think this a good value. I've been using it for some time and I'm locked into the old price. My only complaint is that it's slow at times. They must have had more activity than they thought they would have and that's why they've increased the price. Just a guess.

If you use a referral code (see JR6ooo4 above) you'll save $5.

I just signed up for them with the free trial..... I'll give it a shot. Looks like a good solution for me. I can get prints, saves the full size files, can share and link pictures....

SmugMug is great. I paid the premium price so I could customize the site to mesh with my trip report site. However, any price (Well, under $100 to me), is worthy the safety of knowing your originals are secure with SmugMug's unlimited storage. SmugMug also has great flexibility, giving you options for public, private, and password protected galleries, too.

There's even a thread on another forum about someone who wanted to upload 2 terrabytes of photos! Smugmug committed to investing thousands of dollars in equipment accommodate him at their standard pricing. Of course, they now have so much more resources for the rest of us. Anyway, to me, that's Disney customer service!!

Dirk

i use both pbase and mac.com -

-pbase as it's specifically a photo site and i put photos on it which i want to be looked through/searched/etc. also it's a great reference site for cameras and lenses
-mac.com as it's so easy to upload photos as well as any other file i want.

I use webshots for storage and sharing with family. Imagestaion and wdwinfo for photos posted onto the DIS :)

I use flickr too, much of the things you said about smugmug are pretty much applicable to flickr. They do have a transfer limit per month on free accounts and a much higher one for pro(paid) accounts. They have user created groups that you can add your photos to and discuss. Partially I joined because a bunch of friends were on it and we can share and look at each others photos since you can add other contacts on flickr and when you log in it will tell you if they have updated photos and show you thumbnails.

Right now I'm using Phanfare and it's awesome. You can post video clips too. If anyone wants to join, pm me and I can refer you for a discount as they have a referral program too.

Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter