What photo manipulation program do you use...

Chickysmom

Sadly....tagless
I have access to PhotoShop the professional version but understand it can be difficult to master. Is it worth the time investment to be able to manipulate photos? Or should I look into something less comprehensive? Maybe PhotoShop can be used for more basic items and I can save myself money since I already have it?

I use Photoshop CS2 and I love it. I took a class in college on Photoshop 5 (I think - it was 1999) and have been going ever since.

Welcome to the photography board Chickysmom! :) I've been over here for a while myself.

I personally have PaintShopPro X, and I am loving it! I have been able to do things with it that I have not been able to do with other photo editing programs in the past, and I find it to be pretty user-friendly. I am still learning though. I have also heard that PhotoShop Elements is good, but I have never used it myself.

Kelly Grannell said:
Maybe Photoshop Elements 4 will be more suitable for day-to-day usage. I'll PM you with more info.
Thanks for the info...I'll let my hbby know and see whathe thinks. I am thinking the PhotoShop he has will be too much for me and am hoping for a more user friendly program with a smaller learning curve that can still do all the little tricks!

And thanks for the welcome my VMK frined!

Photoshop can be overwhelming but once you decide what types of manipulations you want to do, it is easy to navigate. Adobe Elements is more user friendly for those just starting out. Paintshop Pro also has a VERY loyal following and can be very powerful. Personally, I have had good luck with Crayola. They have 96 different colors and the back of the box has a cool crayon sharpener so that's a bonus.

Jeff

Well, after lots of trying and reading and practicing, I still could not figure out the layers business on Paint Shop Pro for NOTHING. I wanted to scream. So as I'm surfing, I find some program called AKVIS COLORIAGE which is apparently a plug-in and not a whole program. Well after downloading a free 10 day trial and linking it with PaintShopPro, I finally was able to do some selective colorization. So now I have PaintShopPro free for 30 days ($80 or so after that to buy it) and this AKVIS thing that is my new best friend which I'm thinking can't be that much to buy after the 10 day trial because it is just a plug in after all. NOPE! It is $97!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now I've downloaded Picasa from Google, but don't see partial coloring options. I want to get Photshop Elements (thanks Kelly for the PM information), but I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to figure that out either since I can't manage to figure out PaintShopPro. Is there any help for me???????? (Just say no)

Photoshop has a serious learning curve, after that you probably wouldn't want to use anything else, but for basic imaging it is overkill. Elements is good and has most of the controls people really use. If you decide you need more later then move up to Photoshop.

Adobe is working on a new program that is made more for photographers (Photoshop was not) called "Lightroom". The Mac beta version is available now and the Windows beta should be out soon, final versions are promised by the end of the year. This could be the program a lot if us are waiting for!

boB

OH --so, what I'm hearing is I should avoid the PhotoShop Pro version I currently have (such good news!) and go with either PhotoShop Elements or Corel PaintShop ....should I be looking at the Pro version of this one? and what are the average prices on these two programs? (Thanks Kelley for the info you already sent me...sounds like a great deal and with me already having PhotoShop Pro, I might lean that way...)

Sorry to dissagree with everyone here, but I am old school. My dad taught me to swim by throwing me in, and not letting me climb out on the same side. He made me get to the other side.

My son saved his money and purchsed a Rebel xt, I banned him from using any auto settings. He used FULL MANUAL since day one, just now am I teaching him the priority modes(shutter, aperture).
My daughter is going to buy a Nikon D50 soon, she will not be touching any auto modes for a while.

Both of my kids are also very competent Photoshop users, because that is all they have ever used.

Photoshop CAN be used for basic processing and IS worth the time and effort in my opinion. No baby steps needed.

I don't think I would abandon Photoshop, it is by far the best and most comprehensive application currently available. My point was that you need to be aware that it can be intimidating at first and if you go into it with an open mind you should be fine. My wife would be the first to admit that she is "computer challenged" when it comes to image manipulation. But after working with her and showing her how Photoshop works she can get around and do the minor modifications that she wanted to do (red-eye reduction, adjust contrast and color saturation, remove color casts). It didn't make sense for me to buy her a separate piece of software when we had Photoshop. But it did require me to take the time to help her understand the interface. When she gets comfortable doing with these controls and if her needs expand she has the tools at her disposal to add to her image manipulation toolkit. She just needed to get through the initial terror of seeing all of the power and features and understand where to find the few things that she did need.

Jeff

i have a question i am not allowed to buy photoshop unless i earn the money can i get photoshop for free online :moped: :moped:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter