• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WHAT part if the OBX? should I go to?

comax

Earning My Ears
I am trying to plan a quick trip next month (also a cheap one) to outerbanks....I went on hotels.com and noticed there are many different areas! Looking for beach of course and lil town feeling! More or less whats the best part of the OBX? thanks!

they have gone every year for several years. They get a big ole house with friend though.

Enjoy.

We rent a house every year as well. We really like South Nags Head.

Most of the "chain" hotels are in Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills.

We go to Corolla every year with a bunch of family and rent a big beach house. Corolla is much more residential but on the way up to Corolla you drive through Duck which is very cute. They have a lot of nice condos you can rent with great dining options and lots of cute shops along with the beach of course. From my understanding Nags Head is much more commercialized and there is a lot more going on.

If I were going to OBX I would go to Okracoke.

Where are you coming from? If you want a beach and a small town, I recommend Kure Beach, especially if you are coming from the South.

If you're interested I wrote about where we stayed in my blog linked below.

I went to OBX last year for my first time. Rented a big old house with a few other couples. It was a nice way to visit with our friends, but I wish we would have all used the money and time to go to the Diz World instead. I was not impressed with OBX at all. We usually alternate between Atlantis in the Bahams, Hawaii, Bermuda, and Aruba for beach vacations. We go to Diz annually, as well. OBX paled in comparision to the other beach locations, and the cost was in the same ballpark. Cold water even in summer, moscitos, water was not clear at all, crowded, the traffic to get n and out was disgusting, and touristy junk shops galore. Next time I'll tell the other couples that we can rent a place from www.homeaway.com or www.vrbo.com for a lower cost and be at a better place, like Diz World or Atlantis.

We go to OBX in late August after most of the southern schools are back in session as we don't go back until September. Usually we stay in Rodanthe or Waves area and it's very quiet with low traffic. We will take day trips up to Kitty Hawk, etc.... We camp so I can't recommend places to stay.

Do you plan to stay in a hotel? If so, you will want to stay between Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills (that's where most of the hotels are located). Several are beachfront.

If you can swing it, you might want to look into renting a beach house. This is still the off-season, so prices are much lower than in the summer. But, the trade off is, I think the ocean will still be too cold to swim in.

We love the OBX and always stay on Hatteras Island (we love the Waves/Salvo/Rodanthe area, because it is secluded (you might have the whole beach to yourself in the middle of summer) and has that "small town beach feeling". Yes, there are a few restaurants and souvie shops on HI, but you might want to check which ones will be open in March.

Have a great time!

We been to Avon, Nags Head, and Duck, and Duck is our favorite. Avon is a little secluded when you have kids, Nags Head more commercial, Duck is right in the middle - quiet, but close to the action. It's also very narrow, so no matter where you are, you are right by the ocean and bay. We live one hour from the NJ shore, but will drive 10 hours to the outer banks, because it's nicer and much less expensive.

Have been going to OBX for the past 30 years. It's not the same as it used to be (i can remember when the only fast food place used to be Kentucky Fried Chicken), but we always rent a house on the beach road in the Kitty Hawk or Kill Devil Hills area.

Our family LOVES OBX! :lovestruc

We have camped in Buxton (great little campground), rented a house in Frisco, stayed in a little motel in Hatteras Village...this summer our rental house is in Avon (close to the grocery store!):rotfl:

If you are looking for a small town feel, I would say stay somewhere on Hatteras Island, south of Nags Head...Check the websites for Outer Beaches Realty or Midgett Realty for small homes or condos. Its the off season...everything is cheap now! :flower3:

Have a great trip!

We used to vacation in OBX every year. Now we have a mobile home at a closer beach, so we don't go any more. I really miss it, though. We really liked South Nags Head. It's only accessible by a small beach road with a dead end at the end, so there isn't a great deal of traffic. Additionally, it's close to restaurants, shops, etc. We found the best deal was to rent a house. Never went the hotel route. Good luck.

Lori

The Northern part of the OBX is the best and most tourist-friendly. The southern OBX areas have less to do and see, but are more relaxing if you're looking for a unique beach vacation.

DH and I had our first date to the OBX on accident when we got lost! Haha. It was GREAT fun, and we've been inseparable ever since. Our college was only about an hour away from there - we miss it!

We vacation every year and we love Duck! We love the location- especially having Duck Donuts nearby:rotfl2:! We also love the fact Duck is a dog friendly beach too. Have a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter