what others rave about and you just dont get it

I loved everything about the GF except the rooms - too small for my preference at that price point.

Le Cellier
Cheddar cheese soup
Filet
Dole Whip
Mickey Bar
'Ohana bread
Boma
Zebra domes
And
Soups

This thread intrigues me -

My thoughts-
1.) Food in general, greatly overated- I'm not a foodie, pretty simple tastes- but I find Disney food at best just ok, and considering the price not really ok.
My local Cookout hamburger drive thru joint sells better food. You just expect more from Disney.
2.) To each their own, but I don't get the stay on site. We've done both and spending a lot of money to stay in a room the size of a closet just to have the Disney magic closer does not appeal to me. We have rented condos and houses and it broke down way cheaper and so much more to offer, including not being far from the parks. And don't get me started on the buses.

3.) I don't think anyone has mentioned this but I don't get the big deal with photopass. I have never been rejected by anyone to take a picture with my own camera. Photopass photographers are in limited areas in the park anyway. I saw the pictures- really wasn't impressed at all. I'm not saying I'm a great photographer, but the pictures taken with my own camera - by far way superior and I got prints for a 1,000 pictures for the price I would have a gotten a few prints through photopass

American Idol...not only is it a Fox show but it's old and tired.

Lights Motor Action or whatever it's called is a waste of space and time. I was glad when they announced they would be closing it. The noise is annoying when your at DHS.

What I don't get about WDW:

- Pins and lanyards
- The hair salon. And people who get their girls to wear those severely pulled back hairdos and wear long polyester gowns around in the summer time. Or the makeup that makes them look like... well I wont' continue as it wouldn't be very Disneylike :)
- Kids wearing costumes around the parks, in general.
Wow! That's quite a list! I can't imaginie what it is you don't get about the pins and lanyards. It's Disney pins of favorite characters and Disney places represented on pins. People display these pins on lanyards and wear them throughout the parks to show what it is in WDW that maybe means the most to them or just plain tickles them. My girl digs Chip and Dale and she wears C&D pins to show that. My wife loves Orange Bird and she wears a couple Orange Bird pins to show that (she won't wear a lanyard, but she wears them on a hat or on her shirt.)

The BBB? You don't get the hair salon? As you probably know, most kids like fantasy. They really let their imaginations soar. At WDW, this is encouraged for everybody, not just kids; however, kids especially like to pretend at WDW and dressing up is a huge part of that. You mention you don't get the people who get their kids to do this, as if the child has no say in it, but I can assure you it's the kids who drive that particular bus. More likely than not, when you see a kid in a costume or with made up hair or with face paint, that child has requested it. I don't think it's too typical for a parent to drag a child to WDW, demand that child wear a princess dress, have that child get made up at BBB and then force that child to parade around the parks like that. That would indeed be weird.

I don't get that you don't get that.:confused3

Epcot World Showcase. We tried so hard to like it, but it's apparently not our thing.
I feel your pain. The World Showcase never really excited me. I thought it was a quaint nod to social studies that was pretty much meant for boring adults. I will say that in the past two trips I have grown more fond of the WS. While I'll never be all that much into it, I at least have come to understand it's function is to share other cultures with us, so I really try to interact with the CMs and find out more about their homes and peoples. Plus, I really do like the Maelstrom in Norway. Who can't get into the whole Viking thing?

CRT.

Talk about an over priced, god awful breakfast. Every body talks about how the "expression" on their little princesses face make shelling out over 200 bucks worth it.

I must have a defective princess, because when we went she was 7 and she even noticed how nasty the food was (nasty was her adjective). She wasn't anymore excited to see Cinderella then she was jasmine or Mary Poppins

LOL. I keep saying I'm going to have a tee shirt made saying "My parents took me to CRT and all I got was indigestion".

I just don't get the hype.

All the character breakfasts are like going to the Golden Corral.... Cattle call.... Not even mediocre at best.... A lot to pay just for the character interaction but I guess it beats standing in a line in some park for a meet and greet... One will suffice.

eliza61 said:
CRT.

Talk about an over priced, god awful breakfast. Every body talks about how the "expression" on their little princesses face make shelling out over 200 bucks worth it.

I must have a defective princess, because when we went she was 7 and she even noticed how nasty the food was (nasty was her adjective). She wasn't anymore excited to see Cinderella then she was jasmine or Mary Poppins

"Defective princess" just made me laugh!

New Fantasy Land...eehhh, maybe once the construction is done? Just seemed crowded
BOG~ yes it was very pretty, but the food didn't look fabulous. We had cupcakes the icing was very granulated sugar
The hate over the cheeseburger.... no it's not the best burger I've ever eaten, but it was ok and the topping bar was nice. Much better then the questionable burgers I've had at other theme parks

This thread intrigues me -

3.) I don't think anyone has mentioned this but I don't get the big deal with photopass. I have never been rejected by anyone to take a picture with my own camera. Photopass photographers are in limited areas in the park anyway. I saw the pictures- really wasn't impressed at all. I'm not saying I'm a great photographer, but the pictures taken with my own camera - by far way superior and I got prints for a 1,000 pictures for the price I would have a gotten a few prints through photopass

I COMPLETELY agree.

But I love to stay onsite.

The Outpost area in World Showcase. Wish Disney could squeeze India in there.

I agree that I would love to see another country there. It's wasted space, IMO..

Same thing you do with any other knickknacks.

Which for me is not buy them! Vinylmation's confuse me, too.

The Dining Plan

Seriously, price out how much you'd spend on food (for the way your family eats) then see how much they're charging you for the dining plan. Major rip off
if you ask me. And there really is no such thing as "free" dining. They just up your package to accommodate the food. Buy your room with a discount pin code and you'll save enough to buy your own food.

Liberty Belle River Boat. NO seats, no AC, slow as all get out.

"Free" hot chocolate and "snow" at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Hot chocolate any place other than Disney is cheap. Those of us visiting from the North come to Florida to escape the snow. If you want snow in Florida, visit Blizzard Beach or better yet, Gaylord Palms during their Winter Fest thing. THAT is impressive. And totally free.

We love the hot choc and "snow" at Osborn Lights. very magical. And the dining plan makes financial sense for us whether we are getting it "free" or not. I have boys who are big eaters, and a husband who always orders the most expensive thing on a menu. So it works. Glad to have it around, still!

Only for character meals and Sig TS's

Popular meals, too. Ohana, Cape May, etc.

Agreed. We go to walmart get cereal, juice and milk etc and keep it in the fridge. Have breakfast in our room and take more time and money to the parks! :-)

We (4 of us) cannot eat sugar in the morning...in the form of cereal, granola, fruit, pastries, etc. We all get sick. So that is one area I refuse to scrimp in. We all get a hot breakfast, or at least some good protein each morning. Hard to keep that in our room...peanut butter sandwiches are as close as we could get to that, but I prefer hot breakfast.

We absolutely love Disney, however there are several things we just don't get and will not waste are time on again. Also some things that should have been left alone.

1.Animal Kinkdom-Dinasaur and Everest then we're outta there
2.Tiki Room-hate it
3.Crystal Palace-food not very good, too many tables too close togather
4.Peter Pans flight-not a ride worthy of that long of wait
5.Duffy-???????????????????????????
6.The Seas-if I wanted to take my family to an aquarium I wouldn't go to Disney
7.Pleasure Island-is not Pleasurable any more, shoud have been left alone
8.Light, Motor , Action--Takes up way too much space that could be used for better things. put Hunchback of Notre Dame back

I will add one more comment. All the ADR's I read and dinner reviews I read. I seems the Biergarten gets left out more than it should. Great atmosphere and fantastic food

eastcarolinafan said:
Wow! That's quite a list! I can't imaginie what it is you don't get about the pins and lanyards. It's Disney pins of favorite characters and Disney places represented on pins. People display these pins on lanyards and wear them throughout the parks to show what it is in WDW that maybe means the most to them or just plain tickles them. My girl digs Chip and Dale and she wears C&D pins to show that. My wife loves Orange Bird and she wears a couple Orange Bird pins to show that (she won't wear a lanyard, but she wears them on a hat or on her shirt.)

The BBB? You don't get the hair salon? As you probably know, most kids like fantasy. They really let their imaginations soar. At WDW, this is encouraged for everybody, not just kids; however, kids especially like to pretend at WDW and dressing up is a huge part of that. You mention you don't get the people who get their kids to do this, as if the child has no say in it, but I can assure you it's the kids who drive that particular bus. More likely than not, when you see a kid in a costume or with made up hair or with face paint, that child has requested it. I don't think it's too typical for a parent to drag a child to WDW, demand that child wear a princess dress, have that child get made up at BBB and then force that child to parade around the parks like that. That would indeed be weird.

I don't get that you don't get that.:confused3

Wow Go Dad That in itself is the "Magic" To the one that "doesn't get it" realize this is a dad not a over obsessed mom that points to you it's common sense a large percent of Lil ladies LUV to play dress up & in WDW its def Magical

I openly admit, there is a lot about Disney World that I don't yet 'get'. I've been as a child and a few years back as an adult with free tickets...but I've never been fascinated by it. I was always turned off a bit by the materialism (which admitedly is the pot calling the kettle black). I've also been 'that person' who says things like " You can go to Europe for much less than a trip to Disney World?" or 'Why go to Epcot when you can go to the real Marrakesh much cheaper? (And I've done both recently for less than what we are paying as a family for our upcoming, well-planned trip!) Feel free to roll your eyes at me....I understand.

That said.... I am sooo excited to go to DisneyWorld this April with my kids. I even made them countdown calendars for Valentine's Day and they got cards from Mickey. I can't wait to see the joy in their eyes.

I kind of hope that I am bitten by the Disney bug when we go - I know my extended family is - and we are good friends with CMs....but regardless, this trip isn't about me (or my DH) -- this trip is about spending time with the kids and hopefully a little pixie dust magic.

Things I totally get...but aren't for me:
- wearing matching clothes as a family
- fanny packs
- turkey legs
- Mission space (I'm too clausterphobic)

I kind of hope that I am bitten by the Disney bug when we go - I know my extended family is - and we are good friends with CMs....but regardless, this trip isn't about me (or my DH) -- this trip is about spending time with the kids and hopefully a little pixie dust magic.

My dh is the same way, he could take or leave WDW, but once we got there and he saw all the excitement and joy our kids had walking around WDW, he got into the fantasy part of it toopixiedust:
Here's hoping some pixie dust finds you on your trip

Oh my goodness, this thread was made for me! I enjoy Disney and go at least yearly, but I don't think it's the be all and end all of happiness. Even as a kid, I thought it was fun but didn't beg to go or anything. Nowadays, I appreciate Disney more for the details, the excellent theming, and the customer service/business side of things. A little touch of magic does slip in occasionally, so I'm not totally cynical, I promise! ;)
My overrated factor was through the roof last trip, partially because of heightened expectations. Before our last trip, I did a lot of research for "the best of the best" in terms of food, attractions, tips, etc. and found myself disappointed.

• New Fantasyland - or, as I like to call it, the alleyway behind Fantasyland. Enjoyed it (Be Our Guest and Little Mermaid ride were the highlights), but it was way overhyped by Disney.
  • Studio Backlot Tour - waste of TIME!
  • Animal Kingdom - like some of the rides and the concept, but the execution/theming, meh. It always feels dirty to me, too.
  • Camp Minnie-Mickey - Disney should have shelled out the $ to make this section of the park actually entertaining.
  • Parades - just don't get the craziness, except for the MSEP.
  • Families that wear matching t-shirts
  • BBB - those hairstyles look painful!
  • Vinylmation
  • Downtown Disney - would rather spend time in the parks.
  • Shopping at the park - I'm here for the park, not the stores.
  • Contemporary - that is one hideous resort!
  • Polynesian - visited this on our last trip prior to our meal at Ohana. I really expected a lot, considering how everyone loses their minds about it on here and I love Polynesian/tiki stuff, but found it dark and unimpressive.
  • Ohana - had really high expectations thanks to the raves on here, but our service was horribly rushed and it ruined the food and dining experience for me.
  • Cantina de San Angel - I'd rather not be harassed by wildlife while eating awful Mexican food, thanks.
  • Mickey ice cream bars - it's just a normal ice cream bar with a Mickey head!
  • Turkey legs - gross, how can you eat something with visible veins?
  • Refillable soda mugs
  • Making dining reservations 180 days in advance - I love planning my vacations, but this is crazy to me! Most of my Disney trips are last minute (thank you FL residency), so I'm never able to get a good reservation.
  • DDP - I'd love to do this just for the convenience of pre-paying and not having to worry about money in the parks, but I don't eat enough to make it worth it money-wise.

So people love, hate or don't care about just about everything! :) For those who don't get some of our loves:

We visit WDW at least twice every year, so we have few "must do" items. We sleep in, have a late breakfast and really enjoy a big meal around 3 pm. Then we have something light in the evening.

We all choose where to spend money or not. We rarely do TS meals...we have favorite CS in every park and DTD. I don't enjoy sit down dining enough to devote the planning and eating time to it.

When my DH golfs -- at courses that are some of the very best in the US -- I am at the spa. It's vacation!

If I have a business trip on the Space Coast, I run over to AK and ride the Safari, then do an animal trail, at a minimum. I find the detail amazing and the opportunities to watch the animals go about their business is fascinating to me. I'm glad so many people don't get it, since it's hard to get a good viewing spot if it's crowded. :)

To each his or her own! Viva la difference!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter