What on-line companies do you buy your camera from?

Tiggerlover48

Mouseketeer
I'm looking and there are so many. Not sure if all of them are above board or not. So I thought I would seek your opinions. Thanks so much!!!

I only buy from bhphotovideo.com (also known as B+H). Their price tend to be a bit pricey but so far (touch wood) I've never had any bad experience with them. I've purchased from other online stores, but most of them are not Canada friendly (either they don't offer UPS Express -- no brokerage fee as opposed to $40 brokerage fee using regular UPS, or their shipping cost is crazy expensive, or their 1-800 line doesn't work from Canada etc).

B&H and Adorama have been great. I always check Amazon.com, too.

Steer clear of USAPhotonation.

Check out resellerratings.com for customer reviews of online stores.

When I bought my S2 in February, I used http://www.bwayphoto.com/ - on that particular day when I compared prices of several different on line stores, they had the best price/deal. I actually called them rather than ordering on line, as I had some questions. They were great and answered my questions without a high pressure sales job. I got everything as ordered, as promised

That's my only experience.

I've had good success with Beach, Buydig and Amazon. Newegg ships really fast( for cards and such) and i got some decent deals and fast shipping at ecost and overstock but some have had problems with them

I've bought from buydig.com and newegg.com and have been very happy. :thumbsup2

I've bought my digital cameras from amazon.com and J&R Music and Computer World. I've also bought accessories from amazon, buy.com, sterlingtek, and another that I can't think of right now.

I bought my current camera (Canon 20D) from buydig.com. Lenses from B+H Photo, Sigma4Less, Adorama, and Amazon. Memory cards from buy.com and Amazon. Bags and cases from Adorama, newegg, and eBags. Sensor/Lens cleaning supplies from CopperHill.

I have also used ebay for misc as well. No problems anywhere except eBay.

Mike

Service wise, BH is king.

Price wise, Buydig/Beach sets the bar. There maybe some with lower prices but anyone below them would be a risk(IMO).

Do you have kids in local schools? Are your roads in need of repair? Would you like the fire department to come to your house if it is on fire?

Find a good price online, from a real brick and mortar store like B&H. Most local retailers will pricematch it. Buy local and pay the taxes, you will have it the same day and without shipping charges.
Support your home town.

It's just my opinion.
Of course, I buy online as well, but only if an item is not available localy.

Mikeeee

Yes, that applies here in the UK, too, Mikeeee. Often it's so convenient to buy online (and I'm not just talking photographic here), that I succumb. If they offer free next day delivery, it's almost too hard to resist. :teeth: But, when I can, I like to give my local independent store the opportunity to price match. If they make an effort to come somewhere close, I'll usually buy.

I used to try to support my local camera shops, but selection, service and attitudes have changed it is not just about price anymore. But I do pay PLENTY of taxxes, California puts plenty of them on EVERYTHING most notably Gasoline and property. Has anyone heard of the real estate boom?
So no I am not concerned that my roads will not be maintained due to me buying online.

With the digital era a camera that they keep in stock could drop in value too quik to make it worth the effort for them, same with media and "some" other accessories. Yes you can special order but I really dont think it is my duty to pay more, wait longer, and drive farther just to support them.

The biggest camera shop in the LA/OC area is Samys(dotcom), guess what their prices are lower online vs in store. And I hate that none of their instore prices are marked, that is fine if you like to haggle on every single item(I dont).

And then the old "I know what you need" routine or the "this one is better" sales pitch does not help keep my business. One time I went in to a local store that has been open since the 70s and asked for a Canon 50mm 1.8, the owner insisted that the lens was not available and used this line. "TRUST ME, I have been in business for 28 years." and then tried to push a Phoenix 28-70 lens cuz it covered the same focal length and more...

Their is a new store Cai cameras that has a decent selection and I actually bought 2 lenses from them in the past year, only difference in price vs online was sales tax but I did not have to wait for shipping. They adjusted in order to compete.

I do not understand why other shops do not adjust in order to compete with etailers, but instead use the old guilt trip to keep customers.

I have also tried to support the local stores. They just don't have what I need, but they can order it and then their prices are outrageous compared to online, including shipping.
I drove an hour away to a hole in the wall camera shop that had exactly what I wanted on premises and the price was comparable to online stores.

I guess it's a double edged sword. The local shops arent carrying items because people are buying online, so it makes it difficult when you do want to buy locally.

Anewman said:
With the digital era a camera that they keep in stock could drop in value too quik to make it worth the effort for them, same with media and "some" other accessories. Yes you can special order but I really dont think it is my duty to pay more, wait longer, and drive farther just to support them.

And I hate that none of their instore prices are marked, that is fine if you like to haggle on every single item(I dont)
Yes, I can go along with that. I do know that my local retailer is not only competing with online retailers, but with grey imports, too. There is a local 'high street' retailer here which stocks grey imports at prices with which he can not compete. Trouble is, no matter what he says about warrenties, et al, it doesn't matter too much to me that they are grey imports - it's basically the same product at a deeply discounted price. That's globilisation for you. It's just an overly developed sense of loyalty which keeps me faithful. Sometimes... ;)

OK, I think I made my decision. I'm going for the Sony H-2. I checked on-line with the suggestions you all have made (thank you for your comments) and I came up with a price that would include shipping and handling. I called my LOCAL camera store, where I played with their camers and spoke with them (and also my boss who is a professional photographer uses them). I told them the price I could get on-line and after checking with the boss they came down $60 - to the price I quoted them. So I'm going to buy it from there. I'm so excited. They ordered it for me and it should be in soon. I can't wait. I 1st digital camera!!!!!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter