What odd things do you remember

I was a kid in 1973? when I went the first time. We stayed at the Contemporary. I was wowed with the monorail of course. Then I have this distinct memory of standing in this crowed lines to get orange juice in one of the plastic oranges they had back then.

Many years later of course I took my DGD then 6 just her and I. We were exhausted on the bus back from one of the parks. This big husky but not fat man was sitting next to my DGD and she fell asleep and started hugging up to one of his big arms.lol I noticed and appologized and was going to move her and he said, No, she's okay, just let her sleep. Also on that trip we got to open MK and they gave us a bunch of that Mickey shapped confetti. DGD had a pocket full and would give one to people she met during the day. She tought that was the best stuff and called it pixie dust.lol

On a trip with DH in 1991, Pluto took me for a walk around Tomorrowland and shoved DH away whenever he got too close!

Fast forward to our trip with our boys in 2006 - The cutest little brown bunny always seemed to be on the grass at Pop to greet us when we came in at night. My boys said he must have known the "crazy bunny people" were coming from California so he decided to come out and see us!

A lot of people have mentioned smells and for me, the "I know I'm in WDW" smell will always be the Star Jasmines.

So how about "I know I'm in WDW" sounds? For me, it's the Boat-Tails. No question. The ones in Disney World are a little more melodic than the example they have in that link, and it doesn't feel like I've arrived in Florida until I hear them.

There are a lot of times when I'm leaving for work in the morning that I get reminded of walking out to the busses at thre resort. Especially now that the spring weather is here I get reminded of the fall trips when it was just a little cool in the morning.

I love those days.

I remember the most fun thing I did on my first trip to Disney was go to MGM/HS with Mom to go on a quest to find a giant Turkey Leg. She had seen them earlier in the week, and so one day when my Dad and Brother stayed back at the hotel to hang out in the pool. We made it a "girls day" and went to find her a Turkey Leg. I don't remember doing any rides, but I do remember that being my favorite part of the trip.

For a long time as a kid I kept trying to tell my family that there was a ride at Disney that had a scent like orange slices. No one would believe me. Finally, on the boards someone mentions the smell of Horizons. I knew I wasn't crazy!

Also, the sounds of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I remember being in that inbetween place of a small child who has yet to truly figure out what is real and what is pretend. I was pretty sure the crabs and the fish were real.

And, glowing tennis shoes on Peter Pan's Flight.

One of my first lasting Disney memories is from when I was two and went. I remember being in line to meet Minnie with my dad. The girl in front of me had an autograph book and I was not very sure of what it did so I thought Minnie was writing her a secret message. My jealousy disappeared completely when I got to hug the Miss Mouse herself though!

I also thought my mom was Indiana Jones when I was little. We went to see Epic and the noise upset my brother. My mother took him out of the theater and then I saw Indiana Jones onstage so naturally my mother was Indiana Jones. I never questioned her double life until I realized the Hans Solo and Indiana Jones were the same so since my mother was not Han Solo, she therefore was not Indiana Jones. Never question child logic!

I love when it is hot and muggy out, and the escape is into another world, like at Tower of Terror or Mansion. I forget it is hot and bright outside and get lost in the world created for us.

Whenever I smell chlorinated water combined with a certain humidity, I immediately think of Splash Mountain, and also other water rides POC, Kali, and Maelstrom.

As far as aromas go, I can almost smell the popcorn at the entrance/exit to Magic Kingdom when I think about it. We always make a point to get popcorn at that particular cart.

And it's funny, but now whenever I am at a shopping area where background music is coming from outdoor speakers, I think of Disney where ever-present music so often sets the atmosphere and mood.

And one particular moment that was unique was our first time at MNSCHP when my DS was 7 years old. We were there very late and had ridden Splash and BTMRR multiple times until we were pleasantly worn out. As we walked back toward the exit, it seemed like we were practically alone walking through Adventureland, and it was a very peaceful, happy moment together.:love:

Odd but also sad in a way. I remember visiting in the last week of January after 9-11. This was back when there was still an "off season" with smaller crowds. This time however I remember walking through the parks, MGM in particular, and there were very few guests there, even for the off season. CM's were standing outside attractions, that would normally have a line out the door, as if they were hoping they would get some guests to come in. I actually felt sorry for them.

I remember that too! I also remember walking along RR tracks @ WDW but I never could think of where it was because I remembered it being a wooded area. My DH thought I was crazy but then I read posts about the RR that used to be @ Ft. Wilderness. My first trip to WDW was @ Ft. Wilderness so that must be the RR I remember.

Wow! I hadn't thought about those RR tracks until I read your post! My first visit was also at Ft Wilderness and our group of 10 did alot of walking around and I remember my older cousin tripped trying to do a jump near the tracks and my aunt scolded him! :lmao:

1. trying to plan which side to enter in the great movie ride so you get the wild west robbery scene

2. How I one time got into the hotseat on Who want's to be a millionaire (funny, the person to get it after me was my brother)

3. When the backlot tour had the houses

4. The smell of fire from Spaceship Earth

5. A troll saying "Back, Back, Over the falls"

6. " Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, Your party from saturn has arrived"

7. The maps

My odd memory is of a family in front of me and my sister years ago in line at The Great Movie Ride. They chatted with us for a minute and told us they were from France. The entire time I was smelling B.O. and I was worried it was me. Then once the line moved forward, one girl in their family turned to the mom and tried to whisper "Everyone here smells funny....like soap!" Me and my sister looked at each other funny and I realized it was the family that smelled like B.O. I've always wondered why the girl didn't speak in French to her mom so that I wouldn't know what she was saying.

I had an odd Disney moment yesterday. I looked down at my shirt (one I don't wear very often) and realized I had worn it our last trip. My jeans I was wearing were those bought last trip. Yup, same shoes. I smiled, and felt good for the rest of the day.

Oh there are loads of things, I agree about the musty water smell from POC but for me it would be the smell of the yankee candle that smells the same as mainstreet.

Its the vanilla cupcake one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter