• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What NY Hotel to choose from CC?

timC

DVC Member at BWV
My wife and I are thinking about ditching the kids for a week in July, and go to New York for some theatre, shopping and general sightseeing. Could I have some advice on these hotels from the Concierge Collection?

The Plaza Hotel - Classic 44/night, delux 56 night.
Shelburne Murray Hill - Studio suite 35/night
Eastgate Tower - Studio suite 35/night
?did I miss any?

I'm not sure about availability, and I've never tried the CC before, but I'm leaning toward The Plaza only because of it's fame, but I'm open for comments/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Speaking as a DVC member and a New Yorker..... pick the Plaza, and there is a THREE STOREY DISNEY STORE right up the street from the Plaza Hotel (55th and Fifth Avenue). You'll be in heaven.

There are some excellent room deals in New York, it might not be the time to use points. Friend of my just had reservations at the Crowne Plaza downtown for $120 a night. What's that equivilant to, 12 points?

Bank those points and look for a cash deal. It's not worth the use of points. Even if you rented your points, you'd come out way ahead.

I'd go for The Plaza. It's an idea to check rates first, but by July things may be pretty much back to normal for The Plaza.

Haven't been to the others, but if you can afford the hefty points, the Plaza is a real treat. Can't beat being right across the street from Central Park. The place is beautiful, the staff is amazing.

Thanks everyone.

I think I'm going to check in with MS to findout exact what rooms apply for "Classic" and "Delux". The Plaza has a "delux" room but not "Classic"... There is a "standard" room, but it looks like it's very small.

If the "Delux" is the room size I'm hoping it is, I'll go for it. If not, I think I'll try looking for a rate deal somewhere.

By the way... Are there any tricks in using CC? Do I need to be concerned about booking in advance or anything?

I definitely would check out cash deals first, since poster above is correct...lots of great deals in NYC now. If that doesn't work out, I'd pick the Plaza.

Thanks PKS44. These look like great links. I'll have to poke around tonite. In the mean time, I checked with MS regarding The Plaza Hotel rates:

The "Classic" is a 290sqft room; rack rate of $304. (44pts)
The "Delux" is a 360sqft room; rack rate of $344. (56pts)

Not sure why the delux has such a high premium over of the classic. I wonder how much the 5000sqft Presidential Suite would go for?

Either way, I'm a DVC member, partly to avoid paying $300+ for luxury accommodations. If I want to stay at The Plaza I guess I'll be using points.

"The "Classic" is a 290sqft room; rack rate of $304. (44pts)
The "Delux" is a 360sqft room; rack rate of $344. (56pts) "

So if you can rent out your points for $7 a point - a low rate at which I suspect you would have many offers, you could turn around and pay cash for the RACK RATE in the deluxe room and still have enough left over to buy a nice dinner for your self. (or pocket) At $8-$10 per point you can get yourself theater tickets and dinner...

Just a thought...

Paul

Thanks Paul... I'll have to look into the renting idea. Doing the math, The Plaza is basically giving me about $6.14/pt based on the rack rate. Not a good deal.

Actually it is even worse than that because you also have to chip in $75 for any Concierge Collection transaction, so that drops the value even more...

Paul

Has anyone stayed at the OTHER hotel? One tends to think Plaza because that's so New York & also because you can say you stayed there...but the other place could easily be as nice just not well known.

And...I agree with everyone who is saying pay cash...here's a website for you www.redwhiteandblue.com This was set up after 9/11

Here's a link to the other hotels' descriptions. I have not stayed at the Shelburne Murray Hill but I'm familiar with it on the outside. It is a perfectly fine, safe place to stay for a NYC trip. It is not far from Grand Central Terminal. It is in primarily a business/residential area but you can easily get to the more touristy areas. It is a "suite" set up -- really more like staying in a rented apartment -- than the luxury hotel The Plaza is.

Shelburne

Eastgate Tower

These two hotels are part of the same group. If you click on the Home it will take you to the listing of all their properties.

I have stayed at the Shelburne three times and I love it. The previous post is correct -- it is like a small NYC apartment, not a luxury hotel. The Shelburne is clean, in a great neighborhood and has a great staff. There is a restaurent ( I haven't tried it_) and there is a gym on premises that is terrific.

I have also stayed at two of the other hotels in the Manattan Suites East collection. You will not be disappointed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter