What money saving tips do you think are a bit extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what the OP means is that some people get off on penny pinching, to the point where it is ridiculous. Those people deserve to be mocked, especially those who are abusing the system.

Here is the OP:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw in a thread once that people will carry hamburger buns with them all day and then order a double hamburger so they then have 2 hamburgers.

Seemed a bit extreme when you are spending 1000's on a trip.

Any other one's you have heard?

The OP was looking for others to mock people. No salad was mentioned until later, by another poster. Clearly the OP was judging (and assuming..how does he/she know what people pay for their vacation? How does he/she know where anyone is staying. Maybe they saw/read about a FL resident visiting for the day??) then everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Im glad this thread took a nice turn. I love reading the stories of how you got your children to have a wonderful memory and the small sacrafices/creativeness you had to be able to do it for them! (and my mouth is still watering thinking about the chicken salad pita wrap!!;))

This thread makes me very sad :sad1:

Most of us are fortunate to be able to take our families on a nice Disney vacation, but others may have been saving for years just to get through the front gate and may have to get creative to feed their family. Are any of you in the position to judge a person for carrying around a bun? How did they "cheat" the system. They paid for a double cheeseburger...they didnt steal it. If they cut it in half and shared it with someone else would that be offensive to you too?

I really cant believe the noses up on this thread.

I'm going to agree with you on this one. Disney food IS expensive....and no longer all that great.

We always have a Garden Grocer order...working on one now for our NEXT trip by the way. We have assorted beverages delivered plus fruits and veggies for afternoon snacks.....some fresh salsa and chips for DH indulgences, a few deli items for roll-ups....breakfast items for the days we sleep in a little.

If I ate nothing but Disney food for 10 days I'd be ill. WAY too much salt and fat for my regular diet. We generally eat only one disney meal p/day.

The first time I took my son in 1979, his grandmother gave me m oney to stay at the Contemporary. It cost $90! That was a fortune to me but it was her money. As we got closer to Disney World, I saw signs for he Days Inn for $19.99 and free breakfast. That's where we stayed. With the extra $$$ he got a ton of souvenirs and we stopped on the way home at shell shops.

As an aside, on the way down, we pulled off the interstate in Tallahassee for the night at a discount motel. The beds had coin slots- yep vibrating beds:scared1: I gave him a quarter when he asked for one because I couldn't explain to a 4 year old why he couldn't play on the bed.

:goodvibes Wow..great for you! Im sure you both loved the trip (and the bed!!! :rotfl2:)

...The OP was looking for others to mock people. No salad was mentioned until later, by another poster. Clearly the OP was judging (and assuming..how does he/she know what people pay for their vacation? How does he/she know where anyone is staying. Maybe they saw/read about a FL resident visiting for the day??) then everyone jumped on the bandwagon...

That's your interpretation. What i read was the OP was looking for other's stories/knowledge of extreme penny pinching. Someone who uses an iron to make a grilled cheese sandwich or uses a coffee pot's heating element to cook meals or uses the condiments stand to create a salad, does indeed deserve some scorn. Some of these 'tricks' are dangerous (and putting others at risk, like a fire), some are just plain unhealthy, some are simply gross and some are (dare i say) unethical.

The OP doesn't know what people pay to go to Disney, but that isn't the point. Point is, it costs a lot to go to Disney, if properly, adequately, ethically and safely feeding's one self is not doable as a result of the cost incurred by visiting Disney, then that person should wait until they can afford to properly feed themselves.

Bottom line is there are those who do stupid things and the OP was looking for examples. Seems that you are the one judging by stating the OP's intent was to mock people.

That's your interpretation.

I was replying to another post...

"Originally Posted by luvthemouse71
I think what the OP means is that some people get off on penny pinching, to the point where it is ridiculous. Those people deserve to be mocked, especially those who are abusing the system."

But, thanks for asking.

I personally don't care if people bring whole packages of hamburger buns with them. I just said that it was too much trouble IMO and I meant for me. I also don't understand how people heat poptarts with coffeemakers. Do they lay them on the element?

I stay offsite and eat offsite and so on. I don't judge people for how much money they have because I don't know and it's also none of my business. However when people do odd things, it's frankly interesting to discuss it.

As for judging people, I don't judge people for what they post either like some do. Well, not usually at least.

I personally don't care if people bring whole packages of hamburger buns with them. I just said that it was too much trouble IMO and I meant for me. I also don't understand how people heat poptarts with coffeemakers. Do they lay them on the element?

I definitely want to know this one!! How does this work exactly?:confused3

I've seen many ideas/suggestions people post and how you save money is your own choice but I do find many beyond breaking the rules and maybe more like fire hazards as well as I guess kinda gross. Perhaps its stuff I just don't get like crockpots and toasters. Personally I think its gross to cook in the rooms. When you cook in a room you leave the odor of cooked food and risk a fire on property that you don't own. ( Ok lets clarify I'm not knocking using a coffee pot to heat up water for tea or an instant soup cup or maybe even oatmeal which I only eat when its really cold out but hey to each his own (I still don't get how you get rid of coffee flavor). I think that's all ok. I'm talking about people leaving food cooking in a crock pot while they are at the parks. Personally I would hate to be in the room next door or the next guest in that room. But again that's me. Also for those of you who cook in your rooms you know as a guest at your resort they don't care if you use the microwave in the food court. Just a thought.

I also don't get the people who suggest bringing your own via packets to the park and asking for free hot water. First off if your buying via packets you can afford to pay for the cup of coffee because even though your thinking of it as hot water. Once you add the cream and sugar and account for the cost of heating it you just purchased a cup of coffee even if you don't get the coffee if you use the condiments pay for the coffee. If you really don't use the condiments and just want hot water I guess power too you maybe leave a tip. Now asking for free water and ice I understand and actually commend. In the long run this means less water bottles and less waste and lowers the impact on the environment. :thumbsup2 I don't personally like the taste of Florida water but its water its free and it makes sense.

I also don't care who shares what food I mean personally I'm not at someone else's table and I'm not the food police so if they want to dissect their meal and then reassemble it, go for it.

For me I think there are ways to save for disney and ways to enjoy it. I think everyone sees the park experience differently. I for one prefer to do the dinning plan and just not stress about anything.

OMG, I remember those vibrating beds! My family always went on big car trip vacations; with four kids, six airfares was out of the budget. We mostly stayed at Howard Johnson motels (remember those?), but we also stayed at Quality Courts and whatever else we found in the AAA guide book. Quarters for the vibrating beds were rewards for not driving our parents batty during those long hours in the car. :rotfl:

I stayed at the Howard Johnson on Hotel Blvd with my mom, dad, and brothers on our first trip to Disney World in 1973. Loved the light switches right above the nightstands. We thought it was the Ritz:rotfl:.

Here is the OP:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw in a thread once that people will carry hamburger buns with them all day and then order a double hamburger so they then have 2 hamburgers.

Seemed a bit extreme when you are spending 1000's on a trip.

Any other one's you have heard?

The OP was looking for others to mock people. No salad was mentioned until later, by another poster. Clearly the OP was judging (and assuming..how does he/she know what people pay for their vacation? How does he/she know where anyone is staying. Maybe they saw/read about a FL resident visiting for the day??) then everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Im glad this thread took a nice turn. I love reading the stories of how you got your children to have a wonderful memory and the small sacrafices/creativeness you had to be able to do it for them! (and my mouth is still watering thinking about the chicken salad pita wrap!!;))
Yep, if someone is bringing in extra hamburger buns so they can turn a double cheeseburger into 2 singles, then that is mock worthy.So is the burger topping salad.It is mock worthy because at most they are going to save a few dollars and it is shady. Actually only a few steps above stealing. :rolleyes:

Wasn't there something about using an iron to make a grilled cheese sandwich?

A different movie was mentioned earlier, but this also happened at the end of "Benny and Joon" (1983).

As for the thread...I think it's gotten a little out of hand. It's unfortunate one can no longer join in a discussion where judgments aren't being made right and left. And I'm talking about both sides.

Here's how DW and I penny pinch.

- We bring a lot of food from home to the parks, both snacks and instant meal type foods to help level off the cost of food in the parks. Granola Bars, Nut Mixes, Fruit Bars, Cereals for Breakfast, Instant Soups, and pasta dishes

- We use the Hotel Room Coffee Maker to heat water for things like soup, dried instant pasta and we'll bring our own coffee and tea to use as well.

- We refill our own water bottles and bring those in the parks with us oppose to buying water in the parks. We will use the water fountains to refill the water bottles.

- We'll sometimes buy one meal from Counter Service Places and share the items from it. Depending how hungry we are.

- For the salad thing, We'll often take extra pickles and vegis to go with the meal. I love pickles, and they're there, so that's about it.

Though I'm sure there is more we do that's all I can really think of. Now go ahead and make fun of us for it. Penny Pinching, Budgeting, Saving Money and still having fun. I see nothing wrong with it. But by all means, have your laughs.

I am surprised many are looking at the practice of using crock pots or hot plates, etc. to cook in the rooms as a personal decision when it is actually often an issue of legality and fire codes in most cases.

If we all were to inquired at each hotel or motel that we stay at, most have policies against this. They don't do it to make it hard on people with low finances but because it is a fire hazard.

This is one reason there are some hotels (not just disney) that have a kitchenette or microwave in the room, you pay more for those rooms because they specifically allow you to cook your meals there for whatever your reasons - cost or convenience.

It is sad that many do not think to inquire if this is allowed or worse, some even know it's not but sneak the appliances in anyhow.

I have never looked into it but I wonder in some cases if it isn't the resort that makes that decision but the local fire codes. It would be interesting to know. But regardless of WHO makes that rule (resort or fire regulations) there is a good safety reason to comply.

Yep, if someone is bringing in extra hamburger buns so they can turn a double cheeseburger into 2 singles, then that is mock worthy.So is the burger topping salad.It is mock worthy because at most they are going to save a few dollars and it is shady. Actually only a few steps above stealing. :rolleyes:
What does, "a few steps above stealing" mean? Is there a name for that "step"?

Can people bring their own sunscreen or is this, too, "a few steps above stealing" since it wasn't purchased from Disney?

Also, what are the rules for what is "mock worthy" and what isn't? Is there a generally accepted list or does it just get determined on a personal level determined by the meanness and/or strength of the desire to mock of the mocker?

If people want to bring sunscreen or water or extra buns to a park, I'm all for that. If people want to pay extra for the convenience of buying it in the park, I'm all for that, too. If all the boats float, it's a good day. :)

We tried a few things on our recent trip to conserve cash. Some worked, some didn't.

1. We took a mini fridge with us. After buying refillable mugs, the fridge was worthless. The original intention was to take bottled water for the parks and chill it in the room. We found that using our snack credit in the park for a bottled water, getting a bottle at our CS meals, or buying one out of pocket, and just refilling the bottles at the water fountains was fine. I wound up bringing 20 out of 24 bottled waters home, and the fridge wasn't needed. Our next trip will not include a fridge (unless provided with the room at no charge), and only enough drinks in the car for the road trip.

2. We did take a toaster, but it never got used. In fact I left it in the room unopened in the box, and Disney Lost and Found contacted us by mail to let us know we left it (Thanks Disney!). Anyway, the intention was for Pop Tarts, but we found with the dining plan, splitting a CS breakfast, or using snack credits for a muffin in the morning, was a better option. The kids did eat cold pop tarts one day, but they wanted them that way. Won't take a toaster again either.

3. We did split some DDP CS meals at lunch, but not for economy. There was just TOO MUCH FOOD for any one of us to eat. (But this is where I don't get the "carry the bun in the park" thing. Why not just cut the burger in half, so you don't have extra baggage? Not that I care if someone prefers the second bun method, but for me it's just something else to cart around the park). So this was more to make sure we didn't waste food, or fill up too much in the parks, and used some of the CS credits for breakfast instead. Some of the time we did get bottled water with the meal, so we could reuse the bottles at the water fountains as we walked. We all ate VERY WELL all week, and even wound up having 2 CS credits left over that we got Earl of Sandwich to hit the road on the way home.

4. I took a backpack cooler, but as mentioned we found ways to stay hydrated without using it. It will be home next time also. It was much more enjoyable for me to travel light than to carry that thing all day. Plus souvenirs and what not that were purchased were either carried by the family member (if small) or shipped back to the room.

5. Small bags of chips and a single box of pop tarts/breakfast bars will be a must. Sometimes it was great to just have some munchies in the room, and use our refillable mugs for drinks. Or the day we ran late for a rope drop we wanted to make, the pop tarts were a life saver.

6. Packets of water flavoring. We took 100 of these because of reports that the water tasted weird. I can fully understand how it may be offensive to some as it did taste a little different, but no one in our family minded so all of these came back home with us.

7. Laundry detergent and softener is a must. Too expensive at the parks. The Purex 3in1 sheets are great for use there. Plus plenty of quarters since it's $4.00 to wash and dry one load :scared1:

8. We stayed offsite 18 years ago, and onsite this time. I would never consider staying offsite again. The perks of bus transportation, EMH, nice accommodations, KTTW charging, and great customer service are enough for me to pay a little more to stay onsite.

I don't want to judge others, as to each his own. What do I consider extreme? Anything that is trying to get something for nothing. Pecos Bill condiment salad comes to mind or staying offsite and parking at DTD to use the busses. But carrying a bun for splitting a burger is fine, or as long as the crock pot next door doesn't stink up our room, I really don't care. I am on vacation, so what everyone else does is up to them. You want to eat creamed corn in front of the castle because that is what your budget allowed? Cool, glad you were able to make it to the World and hope you get some pixie dust thrown your way as well.

But for us, staying onsite with the Disney Dining Plan combined with Refillable Mugs was the way to go. I am fairly frugal, but this combination walked the perfect balance between cost effectiveness and convenience so we could all relax and enjoy the trip. I am sure Disney has spent millions making sure that this combo is an attractive value, but after experiencing it, they have made a believer out of me. I had all these ways I was going to save cash, and it was just a waste of time IMO. Sometimes "easy and convenient" is worth paying for. I'll cut back as much as possible in other areas of everyday life to make sure we can go as close to "first class" on our Disney trip as possible.

I am planning our next trip WAY out because we make a modest income, but I want to make sure we can go with the DDP next time as well. I would rather delay the trip a little longer for the extra expense, and have it all inclusive when we arrive. We stretched the plan a little by sharing, etc. But, it was convenient, no one in the family was ever hungry (in fact we were stuffed most of the time), and it was just that much less "stuff" to lug around on vacation. So I am hoping for DW and my 20th anniversary trip with the kids in 1.5 years, we can stay Moderate or Deluxe, but I would take Value with the DDP over either of those without the plan.

And just to stir the pot a little more, we are taking our kids out of school for a week on the next trip, and DW and I are fine with that ;)

Sorry for the long rant, but I am finally getting over my Post Disney Depression after 3 weeks back, so I had a lot to say since I haven't posted in awhile. :surfweb:

As for the thread...I think it's gotten a little out of hand. It's unfortunate one can no longer join in a discussion where judgments aren't being made right and left. And I'm talking about both sides.

I agree, this thread is going south in a hurry so I gotta say....

ibtl.gif

In the days before most of the rooms had complimentary refrigerators, we would take our electric cooler with us to have in the room. I am SO not a morning person - so I have to have something for breakfast in the room because I so seldom make it to a restaurant on time for breakfast. Usually it's cereal, bagels, or doughnuts - something simple, plus my caffeine in the form of a diet soda (hate coffee). I need to have cold drinks waiting when I get back to the room. When I was at CR in July, I would come back to the room and drink at least one bottle of water, sometimes two, before doing anything else. I don't necessarily consider those being frugal, or even being extreme - just convenient for the way I vacation.

Now that there are fridges in most of the rooms, I do usually take some sandwich stuff with me. Not a lot, but enough to make maybe a half dozen sandwiches during the week, so when I come in from the park all hot and tired, or back from the pool all wet and bedraggled, I can have a quick meal without having to leave the room. Again, more of a convenience factor than a frugality factor.

When I stay in a villa, family suite, or FW cabin, I'm more likely to bring actual groceries (especially at FW, where there isn't much in the way of QS dining) and cook. But those accommodations are specifically set up for cooking and everyone else is bringing in groceries too - so that doesn't seem extreme either. I'll be in a villa in about a week (already checked in online! :banana::cool1:) and since it's hurricane season, I'll be taking just a few extra provisions in case I'd have to spend a day or two in the room.

In response to the OP, I think the most extreme thing I saw on my last trip was the oversized coolers. At one time, I believe you were only allowed to bring soft sided small coolers into the parks, and they had to be sized to fit in a locker. Not anymore! We're talking some coolers that were easily 3-4 feet long. People had rented strollers, not for their kids (no kids in sight) but for their coolers! Although I can totally understand bringing in a cooler, I can't imagine dragging one of these behemoths around all day, and wondering if it would still be there every time I went in an attraction, or if someone messed with the food while I was in an attraction. I'd never seen anything like this before, although I haven't been to WDW in the summer for probably five years. Is this a normal summer thing?

We get creative too. We just don't walk into a place and make a salad off the topping bar. That IMHO is wrong!

We eat breakfast in the room. We carry our own waters.

But I do draw the line at taking something you did not pay for. Sorry that is not being creative anymore.

I agree. Otherwise, to each his own how they save $$$. It's all good to me.
;)

DH and I have always lived 'frugally'. But, there are things we won't do, just to save a buck or two. I would not carry water bottles in the park. (I would consider carrying an EMPTY bottle, but wont deal with the weight of water.)

We save money by staying at value resorts (or mods with a discount) and by traveling in value or regular seasons. We have credit cards that we earn things on - miles or dollars. Only once in the last 5 trips to FL have we paid for full plane fare for both of us. In 35 years, we have carried a balance only once and that was only for one additional month.

While on vacation we do not scrimp on meals unless we want to and DH is a very good tipper.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

While I've had fun recalling the scene in "Mr. Mom" where Michael Keaton (mesmerized by "Days of Our Lives") warms his son's grilled cheese sandwich with an iron, I'm not about to criticize how people sensibly choose to save money on food expenses (and other things) while at WDW. Again, sensibly. Cooking/warming your food with a coffee-maker and or clothing iron is not only ridiculous and extreme, but also highly dangerous and disastrous.

I personally feel that if you're not partronizing a counter service restaurant, you have no business sitting at one of their tables OR picking from their condiment bar.

On our first two trips in February 2008 and February 2010, we stayed off-site in a condo in Kissimmee. On arrival day, we stopped by Super Target and loaded up on breakfast foods (Cereal, milk, bread, butter), coffee and sugar for the in-condo coffee pot, snacks, drinks and cold cuts. We all ate breakfast in the morning (even if it just was cereal and toast) and DH and I drank plenty of coffee for the long, busy day ahead.

Since my son is a type 1 diabetic, it is a MUST that we always travel with assorted snacks, juices and water for him. We pack sandwiches and snacks and eat our lunch in the parks, usually on a park bench. This gives us a chance to relax, re-fuel, re-group and people-watch. We usually eat dinner in the parks (counter service) and we always treat the kids (and ourselves) to something sweet during the course of the day.

When we return to WDW in late November, we'll be staying on-site for the first time and we also have taken advantage of the free dining plan. We'll still be carrying drinks and snacks into the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter