What meals do you prepare in a studio?

E

eeyoresmom

Do you cook anything besides sandwiches ? I'm trying to come up with a few ideas for our next trip. We have stayed in studios before, so we know they only have a microwave. We won't have a car this trip so that makes it difficult. We'll be ordering from Gardengrocers or another one. The only thing I can think of is buying a few already roasted chickens and serving with potato salad and canned vegetable. Does anyone have any other ideas ? TIA

We usually just do breakfast stuff (cereal, bagels, juice, fruit, toast) and sandwiches or crackers and cheese in a studio. Once when we had a car, we went to Publix and got chicken pieces, potato salad, baked beans and rolls to eat in the room. If you are getting whole prepared chickens, bring a sharp knife as there are none provided in the studios.

We have cooked the following things.

1st thing is we packed a skillet with us, so alot of meals were cooked on the skillet. We also brought small tupperware to cook in the microwave.

1) Sandwich Steak Sandwiches
2) Hot Dogs
3) Lunch Meat Sandwiches
4) Eggs
5) Toast, Bagels
6) Chicken Sandwiches
7) Can Vegtables
8) Canned Pasta
9) Canned Sauce, Pasta cooked in the Microwave
10) Hamburgers
11) Bacon
12) Fried Potatoes

We stayed for 10 days and in those 10 days we ate all our breakfasts, packed lunches and 1/2 our dinners in our room.

hmmm... hamburgers and hotdogs. We'll be at BCV and SSR .Do both have BBQ grills and are they close to all units?

Don't know about BCV but SSR definitely has BBQ grills.....you will need to make sure you have charcoal, however. I have also taken frozen precooked meatballs/sauce with me in an insulated carryon. You could then order from GardenGrocer some of those already cooked refrigerated pastas (I've never tried them but I think they get reheated in the microwave, not sure). The only thing you need to watch.....studios do not have real dishes or utensils.
We've done things like meatball hoagies, club sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches, but, no real cooking because of not having real dishes/utensils and the sink is really small to even try to clean up after a cooked meal preparation.

I think if you really want to have the option of cooking more than microwave food, you should purchase yourself an electric skillet and ship it BCV to be waiting for you. Gives you a lot more options to make conventional meals. Maybe even ship an extension cord (heavier duty one) in case you want to grill something that creates a lot of smoke and you need to do it on the balcony. Have a great trip. :sunny:

None:) , the cook is on vacation too.

I'm so tired after touring the parks, etc.; last thing on my mind.

We don't eat breakfast since we do early EMH, eat an early lunch on our beloved DDP & then dinner & snack, works for us.

While I'm glad the studios have a mini-fridge & microwave, I'd gladly swap out the stove top for a washer/dryer unit.:thumbsup2

We like to have either a brunch or a late lunch at a TS, which means we'll sometimes have something light in the mornings, or if we're doing EMH at night, we'll come back to the room (usually BWV) and have some wine with cheese, deli meats, and breads (we like to get a baguette from the French patisserie to bring "home"). We don't actually cook, we "picnic"!
We bring the wines and "salamis" with us when we fly down. The groceries carry various chunk cheeses, so we don't order from any delivery service. (But we DO pack a sharp knife for cutting the meat and cheese; the plastic ones just don't cut it :lmao: !)

I brought a small George Forman Grill with me the last time and it really helped. I was able to cook steak, chicken and burgers. You can grill veggies and sandwiches too.

Tupperware/Rubbermaid containers are terrific for both cooking and storage. I use those Pasta Sides mixes as a started for a meal. Add some cooked chicken or tuna and it's a good meal with a side salad.

The new Steam Fresh vegetables are excellent. You microwave right in the bag and serve.

Some people bring along a crock pot. If you have room it's a great thing to tote with you.

For breakfast I usually have cereal, fruit, yogurt, breakfast sandwiches or muffins.

Margie J said:
I brought a small George Forman Grill with me the last time and it really helped. I was able to cook steak, chicken and burgers. You can grill veggies and sandwiches too.

Tupperware/Rubbermaid containers are terrific for both cooking and storage. I use those Pasta Sides mixes as a started for a meal. Add some cooked chicken or tuna and it's a good meal with a side salad.

The new Steam Fresh vegetables are excellent. You microwave right in the bag and serve.

Some people bring along a crock pot. If you have room it's a great thing to tote with you.

For breakfast I usually have cereal, fruit, yogurt, breakfast sandwiches or muffins.

Assume you drive down...it's another story if you fly, unless you get into shipping heavy items.

Interesting to read other's method of operation though.

Oh one other thing... you can buy those already prepared Uncle Ben rice packages from your grocery store & all you do is microwave for 60 seconds. You could pack a few of these in your luggage.

keishashadow said:
None:) , the cook is on vacation too.

While I'm glad the studios have a mini-fridge & microwave, I'd gladly swap out the stove top for a washer/dryer unit.:thumbsup2
I am with you on that one!!!

I take our small 2 sandwich grill for grilled cheese sandwiches. We have breakfast, usually cereal, fruit and yogurt and about 1/2 of the lunches/dinners in the room. Soup, salads and sandwiches are what we enjoy. One of these days we will use the barbecue grills provided, but that will have to come during a truly relaxing vacation, it seems like too much work for a hotdog/hamberger...maybe we'll have filets one time...baked potatoes/corn done in microwave...side salad..wine.. well, maybe.

Bobbi :)

We've only done breakfast (poptarts, toast, etc.) and sandwiches in the studios. But it's great to read what others do because that will help me pack a bit differently - like Easy Mac for my 9 y.o.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter