What Marvel characters can Disney use?

dogdangling

Mouseketeer
I would really like to see more Marvel in the theme parks and my son would go nuts for it.

I have seen Spiderman, Captain America in Universal but I have never seen Iron Man in Universal, Could Disney use him?.

Seems frustrating that Disney have plentiful superhero's in their back pockets but are not using them.

Phil

I would really like to see more Marvel in the theme parks and my son would go nuts for it.

I have seen Spiderman, Captain America in Universal but I have never seen Iron Man in Universal, Could Disney use him?.

Seems frustrating that Disney have plentiful superhero's in their back pockets but are not using them.

Phil

Current contractual obligations dictate almost none at WDW, including Iron Man. The only exceptions to date have been Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6.

I agree, OP. The Avengers were decaled onto the monorail a few years ago - wish your son could've seen that! I alse believe there is/was a Thor experience at DL...

Go to Disneyland and have fun. Iron Man suit exhibit, Thor, Captain America...all in Innoventions.

Or head to Universal Orlando and meet the comic book versions of some Marvel characters; best character interaction (apart from Jack Sparrow in Disneyland when he was there) ever, according to DH (who likes characters).

Phil

The agreement also includes "families" of characters. So I guess Iron man is connected to a character universe that US has the rights to.

So yes Disney has plenty to choose from but US has most of the A listers. That's why Disney film makers are given free rein to dig into the Marvel universe making movies like GotG and Big hero 6.

We had a M&G with a great Captain America at DL, one of the best parts of our trip and my three year old loves it. You can also meet Thor and Iron Man but they were not available the time we were there and they have this really cool video imteraction where you can see yourself wearing the Iron Man suit and you can use some of his cool abilities from his suit. You can get the pictures on the MM. We had a great time ::thumbsup2

basically they can't do much at WDW as its too close to Universal which has a 60 mile exclusion zone around it - and perpertuity - so don't expect any changes soon, disney has the movie rights but not theme park / experience rights in those areas.

Phil

Not the same as a live character meet and greet--

But we spotted marvel merchandise in the Boys' room at World of Disney at DTD. This included mouse ears of marvel characters, shirts and iPhone covers.

So presence is slow, but it is getting there. Seems meet and greets won't happen though due to contract stipulations.

basically they can't do much at WDW as its too close to Universal which has a 60 mile exclusion zone around it - and perpertuity - so don't expect any changes soon, disney has the movie rights but not theme park / experience rights in those areas.

Only inside a theme park though. Which is why, for instance, the Iron Man wrapped Monorail didn't go on the Epcot loop, since it enters a park. And is why PP saw some in DTD.

Out West they can do anything they wish with the characters in or out of the park. It's just east of the Mississippi that their use is very limited. As you said, in perpetuity. Unless Disney wants to pay Universal boat loads of money to buy out the last of the rights. I suspect they'll avoid that and focus on Marvel in DL instead.

Disney put Guardians of the Galaxy in the parks? Were there meet and greets at some point? I had assumed that Universal had the rights to all Marvel characters east of the Mississippi. I know they've been able to use Baymax, and I wondered how that worked.

If they're able to use Guardians as well then I think it means Universal specifically licensed certain characters (or groups as another poster suggested). This would leave me thinking that it's likely that Disney can use some of the other upcoming movie characters, like Dr. Strange and the Inhumans (Ant Man is probably tied to the "Avengers" license).

On the one hand I feel like Disney has to get those characters back at some point. On the other hand, they've invested so much in Star Wars that it feels like they've resigned themselves to letting Star Wars be their in-park presence for boys and leaving Marvel to Universal.

Disney put Guardians of the Galaxy in the parks? Were there meet and greets at some point? I had assumed that Universal had the rights to all Marvel characters east of the Mississippi. I know they've been able to use Baymax, and I wondered how that worked.

If they're able to use Guardians as well then I think it means Universal specifically licensed certain characters (or groups as another poster suggested). This would leave me thinking that it's likely that Disney can use some of the other upcoming movie characters, like Dr. Strange and the Inhumans (Ant Man is probably tied to the "Avengers" license).

On the one hand I feel like Disney has to get those characters back at some point. On the other hand, they've invested so much in Star Wars that it feels like they've resigned themselves to letting Star Wars be their in-park presence for boys and leaving Marvel to Universal.

US only has rights to the characters that they have now and I doubt would try to get the rights to any more from Disney. So yes as long as the characters are not part of the universe of a character US has Disney is free to use them as they wish.

As for getting them back, the agreement has no ending date and Disney may not necessarily want them back. US gives cold hard cash to Disney to use those characters. Getting them back would mean either US didn't want them any more or Disney pays a huge amount (100s of millions or even more dollars) to US. Both not likely to happen.

Disney will only work to get them back if it makes sense. Marvel sold the rights to US at a time they were worried about keeping the lights on so they gave US a very sweet deal. Disney of course knew this when they bought Marvel and factored that into the deal.

thanks for the reply's. We go WDW in may and would be good if there is some guardians meet and greets.

The only Gardians thing I know of was a Magic Shot, we got them done when we where at HS over the summer. I don't remember their doing a character meet and greet with anyone.

Gamora and Starlord were at a dance mix and mingle during one of the events but it was very short lasting and seemed pieced together at last minute (In the video I saw Gamora wasn't even in green makeup).

I beleive they can use avengers, but not x-men.

I beleive they can use avengers, but not x-men.

We've already determined they can't use the Avengers. As mentioned previously, the Avengers wrapped monorail was barred from the EPCOT loop since that loop is "in a themepark". X-men is a problem because of Storm. Dr. Doom knocks out the Fantastic 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter