• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What makes you decide to stay at a value, mod, or deluxe?

We don't like the themeing or atmosphere at Value's, but Deluxe's are way out of our budget, renting DVC points has been perfect for us so far (AKL), next time we're trying a Moderate (CSR) with free dining which I think will work out just as well.

We'll be Mod or DVC renting people in the future, can't see us returning to Value's unless absolutely necessary.

I'm a park commando and can't justify deluxe because I'm barely in the room. I have stayed at SSR, all the mods and values and don't care where I am, as long as I can be in Disney.

If we are going for a short trip (3-4 days) then we stay ay a value resort because we will be in the parks most of the trip. But if we are going for a long trip (7-9 days) then we stay at a moderate or the Dolphin because we will be spending time at the resort.

What we can afford is always the largest factor. Usually deluxe resorts are out of reach. After many stays at values, I grew tired of the small beds. In addition, I just became tired of waiting in long lines for buses at values and seeing how short the lines were for Mods and deluxe. We decided that we needed to upgrade to mods for these reasons and the fact that we want to enjoy the resorts a bit more. After so many trips to WDW we've really slowed down our pace and take our time. No more commando for us. It really allows us to take it all in and enjoy all those "Disney details."

We will always choose the longer stay at a value vs. Amenities of a deluxe. We r out at dawn anyway and back at dusk. For our October 2012 trip we figured we could stay 10 nights at the gf and it was same cost as 51 nights at asm with the Ap discount.

If we had the money all our stays would be at WL or BC. If we had even more money all the stays would be Club level because we love the convenience of breakfast being available right outside our door.

For Moderates, we generally always stay at POR/POFQ for the live music (Bob Jackson, Elliot Dyson) and the boat to DTD.

At this point in time BLT 2br is where we stay. We spend most of our time at MK and EPCOT. We can walk to MK and grab any resort bus for dinner. Maybe when we are through with strollers we will stay elsewhere...maybe... We love BLT, and renting points means we pay less than a mod.

Besides the obvious, money.

After staying at each of the levels, I think the only reason I would ever stay at a Mod again is if I'm staying during free dining to get the DDP.

Otherwise, I would rather drop down to the values to save a little dough. The only real downside for our family for staying at a value is those full beds! Yuck!

Deciding value vs. deluxe is really deciding what we want the pace of our vacation to feel like. If we're doing commando style, we stay values. More relaxing, deluxe.

What is your thought process to decide where to book?
We actually book a value to get the QSDP (free). We also like to go for 2 weeks so to do that it is value all the way. I really don't miss a thing at the mods or deluxes. We like to go to the WP a lot and the regular dining plan just don't work for us.

I will always try for a Deluxe. I just love the atmosphere, better restaurant picks, pool area, lobby bar and most of all - balcony. However, I would never pay rack rates.
That being said, I thought the grounds of POR were beautiful and I've also had a blast at POP. Shorter trip I'm more willing to stay at a Mod or Value, longer trip, I need the Deluxe and it's amenities. I'm also not the type to be at the parks all day long, I think that's when your resort makes a bigger difference.

We are staying Deluxe for our first trip. Free dining made that possible on our budget. I looked really hard at AKL and WL, but decided on the Poly because I love the idea of being able to watch wishes on the beach and walk back to our room. I knew we wanted to try the Spirit of Aloha Luau. The theme of the resort will also really appeal to my husband. I want him to love WDW so we get to make a second trip! I would have no problem staying at POP for a value trip, but if free dining or another discount comes out, I'd love to stay at AKL, WL, or CSR.

We stay in deluxe villas because we like the 2 bedroom suites and kitchen. With 3 little boys, it makes the stay much more civilized if we can send them to bed and then enjoy a little time to unwind (or give the youngest a nap when he needs it). Having the washer and dryer is awesome so I don't go home with suitcases full of dirty laundry (I wash the night before we leave and usually one more time while we're there). The kitchen allows us to get a solid breakfast in before leaving the room so we can go straight to the parks and enjoy.

Between needing the room and accommodations and all the other little perques, it makes the most sense for us.

I feel like vacations are a time to enjoy how hard you work the rest of the time, so I want to make it count!

As a family of 5 I could not agree more. Before that we did POR, but it became clear that the Deluxe Villas were the answer for our family to truly have a relaxing vacation. We still go to POR as it is our favorite with the theming and entertainment.

Once you go deluxe it's hard to go back to a mod. I use to like the values when I was a kid now I just see them as motel 6's with some Disney decor. As an adult I prefer a queen or king bed and I want on-site dining that's more than just a food court. Location also helps, it's the reason I haven't tried out AKL. Oh and pools with slides are always a big plus.

We r getting ready to have our first mod stay we have always stayed value, I am the type of person who literally drags her family from early morning till night so the hotel it's self really doesn't matter because we will b in the parks so much. I look at it as I can spend more money on bbb and other stuff we don't need lol we are also a family of 5 the last 2 trips was a family of 6 so that defiantly plays a huge decision in where we stay I can't justify paying 500-600 a night for us to just sleep there.

I don't have a family yet so when I go to Disney it's just me and my mom and we only do value because we don't need the extra space or larger beds with just the two of us and 95% of the time we're literally only at the resort to sleep, shower, and sometimes have breakfast.

We always stay at Pop now (when I was kid and we went with the whole family we usually stayed at the mods and once at a deluxe) and have never had a problem with noise, cleanliness, space, buses, etc. so we see no point in spending more money for a mod or deluxe when we don't hang out there.

It depends on what we are planing on doing on that trip. If we will be in the parks from open until close, a value resort works. If we plan on spending a day or two at the pool a moderate resort is the best choice. While I like the deluxe resorts for their locations close to the parks, unless I get a deal, they are not worth the money.

I sort-of ended up at the moderates in a round about way.

The first three years, I did the land/sea package through Disney Cruise line. It is structured a lot differently at that time, but basically you had different levels of resorts and cabins.

For me, an inside cabin, mid-level, mid-deck, required a reservation at a moderate resort. I started out at CBR for the first year. I switched to POR the second year, but they were doing refurbs back then and I got upgraded to the Dolphin. The third year, I ended up at POR and have stayed there every since, except one year when we took an upgrade to SSR for the 4/3 deal a few years back.

I found the amentities to be wonderful for the price and it suits me perfectly for my solo trips; about half of them have been solo.

Mind you, some day, I would love to stay at the Boardwalk, but especially for solo trips or even traveling with friends but they don't have the budget to do so. Ultimately, I would most likely do the BWI trip when I retire.

Although I would love to try a Deluxe, I cannot justify the cost over a moderate, even with the discounts I have seen (which I am eligible for).

I like the spread-out feel of the moderates. Pop felt very crowded to me when we stayed there, and the 2 closest pools were always very crowded and noisy. We're staying at CBR again, mostly becasue (1) DH loved it when we stayed there in 2009, and (2) we think our DSon will love the pirate-themed pool and playing on the beach because he is a total water baby.

That said, I anticipate us spending a decent amount of time at the resort. If I were to travel to WDW with my sister, I know she hates the pool and would want to spend every waking moment in the parks, so I'd suck it up and choose a Vaule because I wouldn't be using the resort amenities on a trip with her.

I like a resort that we can hang out at....values are ok, but not much atmosphere.... mods and up have water features,lakes,rivers, walking trails, boats,alternative transport...makes things much nicer:thumbsup2

I use to pick the hotel,...after last trip we were at the CBC, nice rooms, size, resort....but still had double sized beds.....we are a family of 6 so we have to do 2 rooms....this year I left it up to the kids to pick the resort.....they like POP, havent done a value in a while and never done POP. this will be new, but they are excited and we have free QSdining(we are not big on ts-too much time and food) I really like the deluxe(Polly) and if I had to pick I think I would go with POF, but the majority rule this year left me behind:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter