What makes a resort "Disney"?

Kimberle

WL Vet
I quite often see when people are posting on whether or not they like a resort is it is "not Disney" to us. So, what exactly makes a resort "Disney" to you?

No right or wrong answers.;) Opinions only...:)

Details in the guest rooms and corridors (like HMs in the carpet, Disney characters in the wall art), top-notch customer service (except, of course, when you don't get it), meticulous adherence to the theming of the hotel (CM outfits, notices and posters, restaurants), complimentary transportation to the parks on a continuous basis, great pools...

that's just a few things I can think of...

Some people have said on another thread that AKL isn't "Disney". Let's see...

There are definitely Hidden Mickeys. We had fun tracking them down once.

The theming is detailed and consistent. Transportation is there if not great. The pool is excellent.

The only one that larryz listed that I don't really consider particularly "Disney" is good customer service. I look for that everywhere.

Most of it is knowing you're "there". I've stayed in DD and YES there's a difference (whatever it is).

AND........ I'll share this funny story.
this past trip of mine, my sister called to the front desk almost every evening to ask a random question just to hear "HAVE A MAGICAL EVENING". :lmao:
No fail:wizard:

For me, its the feeling that I'm in another world. There is nowhere else in the world that does what Disney does with theming. And for as much as people complain about it, the Disney bus service is kind of awesome. Oh, yeah, and Magical Express is wonderful. It was fantastic to check our bags curbside at the airport and have them magically appear at our resort.

I guess for me it is having a theme and having it carried throughout the resort ... rooms, public areas, grounds, restaurants/food courts, etc. We have stayed at many of the resorts and the only one that didn't have that "Disney" feel for us was the Disney Inn ... which I think is now Shades of Green. It was very nice but it could have been a hotel anywhere.

For me it is being at Disney, and being in a resort that helps me forget where I really am(the real world)! This is the reason I love CBR, I forget that I am in Florida sometimes, the resort is so magically or disney done that it really feels like I am in the Caribbean. Also the customer service, and ease of everything makes the resorts Disney. I have been going for over 20 years, and I can honestly say there is no where like Disney!

Unless I've paid twice what the room is worth it does not feel like Disney to me.

That's what I think when people tell the Dolphin is not "Disney".

For me, it's the total immersion in the theme. It's the whole package... music, smell, sounds, etc... There's nothing like walking in the lobby of whatever resort and being transported to another place.

Details in the guest rooms and corridors (like HMs in the carpet, Disney characters in the wall art), top-notch customer service (except, of course, when you don't get it), meticulous adherence to the theming of the hotel (CM outfits, notices and posters, restaurants), complimentary transportation to the parks on a continuous basis, great pools...

that's just a few things I can think of...

Perfectly said!:thumbsup2

When it doesn't feel like a hotel, it's "Disney" to me.

That's why I don't like the Swan and Dolphin. As nice as they are, they could be ANY Sheraton or Westin in the world, once you walk in the lobby doors. VERY nice, but not "Disney".

It's all about the THEME to me. As long as there is a cohesive theme that is carried out into the most minute details of the resort (i.e., the trash cans, for example), it's Disney to me.

The background music helps too. :thumbsup2

I guess for me it is having a theme and having it carried throughout the resort ... rooms, public areas, grounds, restaurants/food courts, etc. We have stayed at many of the resorts and the only one that didn't have that "Disney" feel for us was the Disney Inn ... which I think is now Shades of Green. It was very nice but it could have been a hotel anywhere.

I think technically shades of green is not a Disney hotel. I could be wrong, I do know (I think I know this) that you have to be military to stay there. But I don't think Disney owns it.

For me its a cross between the staff and the theme. That is what makes a disney resort special. Being able to bump into an imagineer on his way home from work at a park and actually ask him questions about his job. Talking to staff at a resort about what made them move to Orlando and start over. I honestly think in the hospitality business what Disney has that other places don't' have is they have maintained a level of honesty and service without pretentiousness. Surprisingly enough this is what makes you pay more for less if you get what I mean and I'm happy to do it. its what makes my vacation.

Unless I've paid twice what the room is worth it does not feel like Disney to me.

That's what I think when people tell the Dolphin is not "Disney".

I was about to post the same thing :lmao:

To me, the "Disney" feeling, is being near the parks - Being able to walk to both Hollywood Studios and Epcot, or taking the boats - being able to see attractions from your hotel - like at the Swan we can see Tower of Terror, Spaceship Earth, and the Boardwak from the room (depending on which one you get). The location is Disney to me, Not the theme of the hotel.

Theming and CM's. The resorts just look beautiful and the grounds are immaculate. The CM's have gone out of their way on our past trips to put a smile on my children's faces. They continue the magic of the parks back at the resorts.:goodvibes

First of all, there is the theming. The attention to detail, the aromas, the total immersion that makes you think you really are in the South Pacific, or New England, or Yellowstone, or Africa. Have you ever been somewhere in your daily life and said "It smells like Disney here!" Their use of sightlines to either highlight or hide things so you stay in the bubble instead of going to your room and having a view of the interstate.

Then there are the things all the Disney resorts have in common, like the transportation, the gift shops, the toiletries, the CM's (good and bad), and the TV channels (whether you're a Stacy lover, or just like the music on the info channel). It doesn't matter which Disney resort you are in, there are common elements that they all share and which we look forward to, which make us comfortable - like we've come home.

Although each resort is different, it's really hard to pick a favorite. To me, one doesn't say "Disney" any more than another. Although I have my favorite resorts (of which CR is one - even though a lot of people don't think it's "Disney" like), they are my favorites for reasons other than whether they feel "Disney" or not. I can feel as Disney in a FW cabin or campsite as I can at Poly, or WL, or Pop, or CR. It just "is". It's an intangible thing that is a combination of all the elements that surround you, but you know when it's there, and when it's not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter