What lens??

staceymarie

Mouseketeer
I have a Canon EOS Rebel ti1. I only have the original lens it came with. I am not savy when it comes to lenses.
I would like to have more zoom and I don't know what to buy.:confused3
I also own a Canon S95 but zoom on that is limited too. Plus, I would like to take the bigger camera on my next trip.

I would like to know what lens is your favorite on a digitalSLR for disney photos.

:blush:Duh. Please help!

So I assume you have the kit 18-55 lens. That's actually a very good focal length for Disney World in general. You don't use a ton of telephoto zoom at Disney, aside from the safari and possibly stage shows.

I find a faster lens can be helpful.. Something like a 16-50/2.8, which will take better shots indoors without flash, but that's a fairly expensive lens, and won't give you any extra zoom.

A nifty fifty is useful as Disney-- 50mm/1.8. And it's an affordable lens. Very good low light lens.

For just basic telephoto reach, primarily for use at the Safari, you can always add the 55-200.

Technically, the amount of zoom is merely the longest focal length of the lens divided by the shortest. An 18-55 kit lens then has about the same amount of zoom as a 70-200 although they are very different lenses.

It seems like you want a longer lens for bringing objects "closer" (and for the sake of accuracy longer refers to the focal length, not necessarily the physical length). Canon's 55-200 will do a great job of that and it would be tough to beat this lens for the price.

While 18-55 covers most of the range we might normally use at a theme park we can get a fresh look at things by using a lens much longer or shorter than normal. I have sometimes kept a 70-200 on the camera at MK and HS just for a different viewpoint.

I'm going to make the leap like boBQuincy did in that you want a longer focal length. There are a lot of choices in telephoto zoom lenses. You can go new or you can go used. Entry level or high end... it really comes down to your budget and what you need out of the lens.

The 55-250 is the first telephoto zoom that most people get these days. It's a solid entry level lens and can serve you very well. There is another lens in the same price range, the Canon 75-300... this lens is awful. It was my first tele zoom back in the day and you should run far, far away from it. And there is one more lens, if you're not afraid of an older lens, the Canon 70-210 f/4 (not the 70-200 f/4 L, that's a different lens). the 70-210 is no longer in production so you have to get it used. It's an awesome telephoto zoom, near L quality optics, solid build and a constant aperture, that runs about the same as the 55-250 does. It's an old design and has no IS so a lot of people shy away from it, but I've got it and it really is a fantastic lens for the price it sells for now.

Of course there is also the 70-200 f/4 L, the 70-200 f/2.8 L... both of which will run you a bit more. And then there's the third party lenses that cover all price ranges.

Now if you're looking for an all in one... something that will give you more flexibility without changing lenses, like an 18-200mm in range, keep in mind that while these lenses offer you a broad focal range they are heavy and not as sharp as zoom lenses with a shorter focal range. Some are also significantly slower. So there is a significant trade off for all that flexibility. There are a couple of lenses that are in between the shorter 18-55 kit lenses and the 18-200 all in ones, like the 24-105. Now the 24-105L is pricy, but there is the 28-135 which is a mid grade lens (it's the kit lens that used to be sold on the 40D,50D, 7D). Or you can get the older 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 for half the cost... this is my walk around lens and it's a solid lens that's on par optically with the 28-135. Again it has no IS but you are paying a lot less for it. Just make sure you get the f/3.5-4.5 and not the slower entry level version if you go that way.

And these are just some options... there are a lot of lenses out there.

It really depends on what you want to shoot. That all relates to budget. If your intent is to shoot the dark rides, then, arguably, the best lens is the Sigma 30 f1.4. I believe Sigma just released a new iteration of that lens. If you are going to shoot inside lowlight shows then a fast 2.8 lens is usually required for best results. The focal length needed would be dependent upon where you sit. For outside stage shows and AK Safari, a lens out to 200mm is satisfactory. How fast a lens you want depends on budget. A 70-200 f2.8 is going to be significantly more expensive ($1,000+) than the 55-250 variable aperture (consumer/kit) lens. I am paranoid about lowlight so the majority of my lenses are fast (faster also means heavier so take that into consideration). Here is what I carry and why. Then you should be able to discern what your needs will be.

18-55mm-used for when I want a wider perspective
28-70mm f2.8-walkaround
70-200mm f2.8-when I need longer reach, good for inside dark stage shows
30mm f1.4-dark rides

I hope that helps. Just remember that lenses are problem solvers. Think about what you want to shoot including the conditions of the shot and then get a lens that will allow you to accomplish the shot.

An important first question here would be what is your budget. That Canon 55-250 is a great little lens for the money. Anything else you consider is going to be quite a bit more. But it has its limits. Shooting outdoors you'll be fine. It's lower light where you'll find its shortcomings. It is a variable aperture lens, meaning that the more you zoom, the smaller the maximum aperture you will have available. So with less light, you are more limited at those longer focal lengths.

If you want to spend some more on an all in one, you can move on to the superzoom Danielle mentioned. Some are probably better than others, but they are all bigger than that nice little 55-250. But there is still a lot to be said for not having to swap out lenses all the time. I have the Tamron 18-270 and am happy with it for what it does. I have some nicer more expensive fast lenses, but still occasionally pull out the Tamron when I don't want to be swapping lenses (on the beach near all that sand, in dusty national parks, that sort of thing).

I have a Canon EOS Rebel ti1. I only have the original lens it came with. I am not savy when it comes to lenses.
I would like to have more zoom and I don't know what to buy.:confused3

I agree with the others, it depends on your budget and whether you want to change lens but the Canon 55-250IS is a good inexpensive telephoto zoom - often on sale for $150 (new).

I am going to visit a camera shop this weekend to look at options.
Thank you for all of the replies:). You all gave me options that I will look at. Being at a camera shop will help too since like I said, I'm not really that savy when it comes to the lingo-hopefully whoever helps me will know something.
I'll post when I finally find my walk around lens!!!

I am going to visit a camera shop this weekend to look at options.
Thank you for all of the replies:). You all gave me options that I will look at. Being at a camera shop will help too since like I said, I'm not really that savy when it comes to the lingo-hopefully whoever helps me will know something.
I'll post when I finally find my walk around lens!!!

Good luck! It's hit and miss in a camera shop. Some have well informed employees, some don't. I'd have a good idea of what you need the lens to do for you before you go in. That really should tell you what lens is right for you.

As Danielle said, don't count on informed employees-- and don't count on seeing all your options. A specialized camera shop should have a variety of lenses, but a more generic store (like Best Buy), usually only carries a couple of the most basic lenses.

I would also encourage you to get an understanding of the store's return policy before purchasing anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter