What kind of Turkey are you cooking?

DizzieDizney

<font color=red>Hello, I know w/ the internet and
This year we are trying to cook a turkey in the rotisserie. We bought a 10lb turkey for that. We also bought a 13lb turkey to fry just in case the rotisserie one doesn't come out right. We have been frying turkeys for the last five years. After the first fry we vowed to never bake a turkey again. :teeth:

We ordered a smoked one, so all we have to do is heat it up. Yumm.

The rotisserie sounds good too. I would have no idea how to do that! I bet it is very juicy! Good luck.

Okay, stupid question here. How do you do gravy if you aren't oven roasting your turkey? I consider gravy the best part of the dinner, so we're doing ours in the oven.

I did try brine once and the turkey was good. I didn't like the gravy as well though even though I had rinsed the turkey really well after brining.

Butterball always wins out with me too. I've asked DD to fry it while I take care of everything else, he's thrilled about that. DM told me she wanted a 20lb turkey! :rolleyes: :eek: Mind you, that's a 20lb turkey for only 4 people. We're going to be eating leftover turkey for days!!!!!!!!!! (I'm going to see if we can compromise on a 16lb one...I'm paying for all the Thanksgiving stuff, so there has to be a give somewhere) :crazy:

Over the years I've purchased all the name brands. Some are good, but I only purchase Belwing Turkeys from a farm in Seekonk, Ma. They are the best I have ever eaten. Never dry always Yummy.

Butterball here too! AND, if I don't get off the internet and
start getting the kitchen and dining room ready-Thanksgiving
will be chaos here! Yes-how does one make gravy after
frying the bird?

My mom is doing the cooking.

I was tempted (just tempted) to cook the turkey and try out using a brine. I saw a few cooking shows and am interesting in trying it.

Maybe another day.

I used to do Butterball, then I found GOOD turkeys.

The good ones, in my experience, are the cheap "off-brands" at any grocery store. They're always jucier - even the white meat.

TIP: IF BAKING, PUT TOM IN PAN UPSIDE-DOWN. JUICES RUN TO THE BREAST AND IT DOESN'T DRY OUT.

I just bought mine last night. 17lb Butterball. And yes I cook it the old fashion way, except I use a foil pan roaster with the handles.

Thanksgiving Gravy is a food group in my house (yum...gravy). NO way could I fry on T-day...but I would like to try it some other time, though. Sounds good.

I am getting a fresh turkey from a local farm. I always roast it in a foil pan so I can just throw the pan away. Helps with clean up. And regarding gravy, (don't tell MIL) I use Heinz in a jar. It is really good.

I bought a 26lb turkey from Meijer and will be cooking it my usual way, in a cooking bag in the oven. BTW, we go next door to my mom's for dinner but have always cooked our own turkey here so we can have all the left overs!!!!:tongue:

DH will be doing the turkey out on the gas grill. Frees up the oven for everything else and tastes really good!

Whatever they'll be serving in the hospital cafeteria.

I have to work. :(

But at least I'm off for Christmas! :Pinkbounc

21 lb turkey cooked in the oven with lots of butter under the skin. Gravy has never been my strong suit. Williams-Sonoma sells a turkey gravy in the jar that is out of this world. Add milk and heat. It is the only gravy in the jar I have found that tastes just like homemade.

:D This thread is making me hungry! We are doing a 20 lb. Butterball since the local grocery store always gives out $10.00 coupons off a Butterball at Thankgivig. I do mine in the oven overnight at the lowest possible temp. covered in foil. Mmmmmm.

Sorry you have to work, Blondie. Glad you get Christmas off, though :D .

I am not making one and never have. I am 30something. I have one in my freezer downstairs, but don't know how to make it.

We are always running around to other people houses, so I have been lucky (?) I don't have to make one. However.........I do want to make one. If you have a favorite recipe on side dishes, pm me. I want to have some friends over for a meal so I have a reason to cook the turkey. It's about 12lbs. I know the traditional sides, but I like different things. My favorite dresssing has green olives and raisins in it.....my FIL makes it. I just can't get enough.

I cooked a 14 pounder last year, and had NO leftovers!:eek: So, this year, I am expecting my DD her DH and the BABY!::yes:: So, its extra for all, I have also decided to eat outside, under the metal roof, that covers the Corvette!;) Hope the weather is great like it is today!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter