• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What kind of Sunscreen do you use?

Pokprincess said:
There is a product by Banana Boat, which is specifically for your hair & scalp. It's in a pump spray bottle.. used to be ocean blue. It's an spf 15, and I use it on my kid's heads... short boys hair to protect the scalp when we go to the beach down in Sarasota... :sunny:

I am definitely getting a product for my scalp. I usually have my hair parted in one way or another, which can get very burned! Then it peels and looks like a gross case of dandruff! :rotfl:

Ban de Soleil -- all the way :flower: Being part American Indian, we rarely burn. The "rarely" includes Florida and anything more South of that :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I learned this when I was in my early 20's and got 2nd degree burns from an hour or two in the sun. Actually passed out while waiting for a table at a chinese restaurant. Had to be transported to a medical center and was a mess for the entire weeks' vacation with my then-fiance, never-to-be husband.

I only need a 4 here in MA, but use 15 in FL. My kids like Banana Boat (we just started using it this summer and it does really smell like bananas) and start with a 30 then work their way down to a 4 once they have a base tan.

I guess we are really lucky. I've seen my friends having to consistently apply sunscreen on their kids/teens even on spring/fall days. While we are careful not to burn, it comes to a point that we no longer need the sunscreen and we just enjoy the bronze and heat of the sun. I don't know why we live so far Northeast :confused3

My skin is very sesitive to the sun so I had always used the Coppertone Water Babies sunscreen. SPF 45+ lotion spray. Was very thick and tacky. Smelled like sunscreen. But I recently found something that works great. Its the Neutogena Ultra Soft hydrating sunblock. Its also SPF45 but feels like a lotion. Leaves skin soft, not shiny or greasy. No smell to it. Feels great on and lasts. Used it the other weekend out at the lake and had no sun/skin issues. I even used it under my makeup for a baseball game I went to the other day. No problems at all. I love it.

I'm an Austrailian Gold Spray user ALL THE WAY. I hate the smell of coconut and that's what most sunscreens smell like. The AG has a wonderul scent and some people even ask what I'm wearing...

I'd cry if they ever stopped making it !!!

DD (age 5) loves the Avon Sparkles Sunscreen.

Also, I lightly DAB our sunscreens into our hair parts. No need to get another product and it works just as good !!!

The neutrogena 45 sounds good, I may give it a try.

I use Avon Sun 30 everywhere except my face, and Avon beautifully protected 30 on my face. My dermatologist said that although 15 is plenty, most people don't spread it on thickly enough to get the full coverage. So he recommends using at least a thirty. He also recommended using one that contained avobenzone, which the Avon does. At night I use an Avon bug repellent. (No, I don't sell Avon, I just like some of their products.)

I'm going to check the neutogena 45, though, next time I shop, to see if it has the recommended ingredient.

We like Coppertone Sport no pump sray. We just went to Marine World and not a one of us had any sign of pink. LOVE IT!!!!

I went to the dermatologist this week, as I have some sun damage showing up on my face and need to start getting serious about sunscreen. She said if you are a walk to the car and work inside all day kind of person, SPF 15 is fine, but if you have more exposure than that you should wear SPF 30. She didn't go into anything about the idea that above 30 is just a marketing ploy (don't know if this thread refers to it but there's another sunscreen thread currently up that discusses it.)

She did say that sunscreens should contain one of three active ingredients - zinc, titanium, or avobenzone/Parsol 1789. So I went to the drugstore and looked at every product for sale. The Neutrogena Hydrating product came the closest to what I wnated. Because I have to use three prescription creams in the morning, I need a moisturizer/sunscreen that's a two in one product. I found the Neutrogena Hydrating Sunblock (I bought the SPF 30 - didn't see the 45 there) and also a Neutrogena product that's a lotion with zinc sunscreen. So these will be my products of choice. I wish there were a largeer selection of products with Parsol 1789/avobenzone - I suspect that these are new and next year our choices will be greater.

OK, for about two minutes I did think the Neutrogena felt more "sunscreeny" than "lotiony", but I've had it on all day now and it didn't smell after the first application. No sweating either!!! So that's my .02 worth....

I use Neutrigena.

I was using the one for sensitive skin (my ds has excema) but since it isn't water proof, I switched to another Neutrigena & boy does it feel like silk on your skin & it rubs in so easily.

We use the Coppertone Sport spray. I don't even rub it in...Just spray it on the kids, let it air dry a minute or two, and send them on their way. It works especially great for DS because he is practically transparent he is so pale and he HATES having sunscreen rubbed on his skin. NOT a good combination!

Sunscreen snob here. I won't allow my kids, nor myself, to wear most US sunscreens. Many are not stable, and nearly all have low PPD values (i.e. 8-10), whereas Euro sunscreens are nearly always stable and have awesome ppd values (25 and up). Even if you are not burning with US sunscreens, like Bullfrog -- you are still AGING!!!! We use La Roche Posay Dermo Peds 40 or 50, and Avene 40 -- ordered online from tubotica.com. In a pinch, we will us Neutrogena Dry Touch 55 -- brand new and stable with a ppd of apprx. 12 or Blue Lizard Baby an Aussie physical block available at CVS.

Okay, too much information, I'm sure :rotfl: :rotfl: , but I hate that we are duped by crappy sunscreens in this country -- and our skin is paying for it bigtime!

Does anyone have any thoughts on blue Lizard? I've heard some good reviews so I purchased a couple bottles...but would like to confirm I made a good choice!

Try this product for the scalp--

ScalpBlock

Its designed specifically for the scalp, SPF 15. We ordered it online at www.biotechcorp.com

My dh used it on our recent trip to Hawaii with good results. Its not greasy feeling, either. Half-way through our trip DH told me quit asking if he had "sprayed his head". :rotfl2:

See my post right above yours. I'm hyper critical of SS and Blue Lizard Baby (a physical block) is one of the few available in the US ss I will consider. Their other products are decent, too, but Baby is the best. For the face, though, it can be greasy. You might get HT Oil Free Faces for your face, especially if you plan on wearing makeup on top :-). :p

I always order from Tubotica.com or even ebay with a reputable seller. Tubotica often takes 2 weeks for delivery since they are international, but they send lots of AWESOME free samples :cool1: :cool1: .

I use Avene Lait for Kids 40 and La Roche Posay Dermo pediatrics Spray or Lait. the 50 LRP spray is great under makeup! Makeupalley.com's skincare board rocks and is filled with awesome sunscreen information!

Finzup!

suezb said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on blue Lizard? I've heard some good reviews so I purchased a couple bottles...but would like to confirm I made a good choice!

DH and I have been using Blue Lizard for sensitive skin since last summer. Don't know if you bought a different version. It's a little hard to rub in, but that's to be expected for a non-chemical sunscreen. I have a problem with chemical sunscreens, so this fits the bill. I have very pale Irish skin and have never burned through it. I use a different suncreen on my face that is more "cosmetically elegant", but for my body, it works well.

Thanks guys! I bought Blue Lizard Sport. I have a sun allergy, and burn within minutes. I had coppertone sport, but people were saying I needed something better so I went with Blue Lizard.
I also bought the Blue Lizard face, but now I'm a little nervous since someone said it was oily...
uh oh :(

I use Loreal Ombrelle. It is photostable and contains mexoryl, which you can't get in the U.S:(. I get a friend who lives in Canada to send it to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter