What kind of paid job does your teen have?

My dd17 has worked at the nearby movie theater for the past year and a half. She does concessions and usher there.

DGS isn't a teen yet...he's only 9, but he assists in some of the neurological lab studies at Vanderbilt. Brings a paycheck home each week (very few hours) and is saving the money to buy rocks. His parents are the real life Sheldon and Amy. :bitelip:

My DD (18/senior in HS) works at our local movie theater selling tickets in the box office. She has alot going on with school and they are very flexible with her schedule.

My son is a lifeguard at one of our local indoor water parks. When he was job hunting, he turned in about 30 applications and only got two call backs which, unfortunately, is typical for our area since we are in a tourist area that brings in a lot of foreign workers. I finally saw an ad for lifeguards and made him apply (I wasn't even sure he knew how to swim lol) but he's been there for over a year and gets way more hours than working at Game Stop at the mall.:cool1:

You don't know if your son knows how to swim? How does one not know that?

Works at an indoor trampoline place, does everything from court monitor, to snack bar, to party hosting, to special events~you get the idea. They have always been very flexible, only requiring that 2 shifts are worked on the weekends (fri- night and sun- morn, or friday-sunday night etc). Tshirt and basketball shorts for a guy for work? Yes , please.

My son is a lifeguard at one of our local indoor water parks. When he was job hunting, he turned in about 30 applications and only got two call backs which, unfortunately, is typical for our area since we are in a tourist area that brings in a lot of foreign workers. I finally saw an ad for lifeguards and made him apply (I wasn't even sure he knew how to swim lol) but he's been there for over a year and gets way more hours than working at Game Stop at the mall.:cool1:

That's very odd. Around here, you have to provide copies of your Red Cross lifeguarding certificate when you apply for lifeguarding jobs.

That's very odd. Around here, you have to provide copies of your Red Cross lifeguarding certificate when you apply for lifeguarding jobs.

Your son works as a lifeguard and u didnt know if he could swim?
Does that mean he is not certified either?

Thats kind of scary!

Wondered exactly the same thing. Sounds like it's not only dangerous to the people he's supposed to be monitoring, but potentially very dangerous to the lifeguard, too.

My DS 16 worked as a lifeguard this past summer.
He was certified by the Red Cross and participated in a very rigorous training course over 3 weekends.

He had to pass several swimming tests, written tests and a basic life support.

Nope, not here. At all of the indoor waterparks...we have 5...they pay for training. You don't have to be certified beforehand. They do a training period before you start working.

Your son works as a lifeguard and u didnt know if he could swim?
Does that mean he is not certified either?

Thats kind of scary!

LOL I knew he wouldn't sink but I didn't know if he could swim to the bottom of deep water to retrieve bricks, tread water for long periods of time, and whatever else they make them do for training. :rotfl2: You don't have to be certified to apply, you just have to be to start working. They have to attend classes and pass the certification tests, which he did with flying colors.

My DD 16 started work this summer at Sonic. She loves it and the pays pretty good! They pay minimum wage, plus she gets tips. Some nights it's only a few bucks in change, but some nights it's $50+. We figure she averages $12+ per hour with tips.

She was working 28-30 hours per week this summer, but only is working 1 shift per week now because school started back and she has soccer until mid-Nov. And yes, she has hard AP classes too:) She was afraid they wouldn't keep her but evidently it's hard to find kids or adults that want to work hard, so they kept her even though she can't work much now. Very proud!

DS is working in the retail store for the company I work for. (Nepotism is grand!)

He's hoping to also get hired for the winter at the indoor soccer facility that he's been playing at since he was 7.

He did some soccer reffing a few years ago, but the crazy parents drove him away. (full disclosure, I am also a soccer parent :) )

DD 18 works at a local fried chicken restaurant as a car hop (they have car stalls like Sonic). She's a freshman in college and she started working there the summer before her senior year of high school. She likes it because they pay her more than minimum wage and she gets to keep her car hop tips.

DS 18 is a hawker at Gillette. He sells beer, etc. at concerts, soccer games and NFL games. The money is very good and the hours are short. Which is both good and bad. The benefit he likes is that he gets to stay for the rest of the event once they stop selling - he got to see Luke Bryan for free (OTH for the One Direction concerts he was out of there ASAP :rotfl: ). ETA - he is in college and he lives at school but since the events are sporadic he can come home to work.

My DD worked at the BK Lounge aka Burger King for 18 months. She started there when she was 16. It was her first and only paying job. She quit a couple of weeks before college started this fall. She received a BK college scholarship this past spring which is paying for all of her student housing costs this year. Working there really paid off!

TWO TEENS 17 and 19

17- this past summer (while still 16)
3 jobs-
M-F 830-430 lifeguard, swimming teacher, bus counselor at local camp
3 nights a week working at clothes store at the mall
Babysitting one weekends

Always working- but she made 4,000 in June July and August

Now that she is is school (12th grade)

Mall one to three days a week
babysitting usually one weekend night

Son -19

Goes to college full time and works 28-35 hours per week at a grocery store

DS 18 is a hawker at Gillette. He sells beer, etc. at concerts, soccer games and NFL games. The money is very good and the hours are short. Which is both good and bad. The benefit he likes is that he gets to stay for the rest of the event once they stop selling - he got to see Luke Bryan for free (OTH for the One Direction concerts he was out of there ASAP :rotfl: ). ETA - he is in college and he lives at school but since the events are sporadic he can come home to work.

he can hawk beer at 18? I never knew that!

Our kids only worked in the summer, too. One was a server in the convention center of a local hotel for a few years. He got a hard lesson in interacting with co-workers and with the public (usually drinking public). That job ruled out certain college degrees for him. :rotfl:

State laws might vary, but I know that college kids can sell beer at our stadiums (or at least I used to many years ago). You can serve alcohol from 18 and up, I believe.

FINFAN said:

In KY you can sell alcohol at 20 years + 1 day. Both my kids moved to waiter/waitress positions at restaurants with bars when they hit that age. They were both waiting tables while in college.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter