• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What keeps you coming back?

We would go more often if we lived closer but as we live in the UK & there are other places in the world we want to see, we restrict ourselves to a trip every two or three years.
It's our "Happy Place", we get to be big kids & forget about normal life for those two weeks that we are there, being in the Disney bubble is magical.
We keep in touch via the DIS podcasts, they give us our Disney fix each week, we normally watch them on Sunday morning over mugs of coffee.
We are as excited about our upcoming trip in November as we were about our last trip.

At this point, Disney is our second home. DH and I have been every year but one since we met and Disney has become our happy, comfortable place. Of course, every time we are there we ask ourselves why we do this to ourselves every year and don't take a relaxing vacation, but you only remember the happy magical memories when you get home so that keeps us going back

I have an annual pass, and while I enjoy the parks because of the attractions and shows I mainly go to get away from the real world. When I step foot in Disney I feel like I am transported to a different world and can get away from all the negativity and craziness going on in the real world. Sure there are moments where things can be frustrating during my visit, but I always try to have a smile on my face. Disney will always be somewhere I can go to get something off my mind and truly feel like a kid again.

I have an annual pass, and while I enjoy the parks because of the attractions and shows I mainly go to get away from the real world. When I step foot in Disney I feel like I am transported to a different world and can get away from all the negativity and craziness going on in the real world. Sure there are moments where things can be frustrating during my visit, but I always try to have a smile on my face. Disney will always be somewhere I can go to get something off my mind and truly feel like a kid again.
You mention getting away from all the negativity and craziness going on in the real world. Isn't it funny how during a WDW trip, you lose track of what day of the week it is, who won any sporting events or what on Earth is happening in the news? Just awesome!

You mention getting away from all the negativity and craziness going on in the real world. Isn't it funny how during a WDW trip, you lose track of what day of the week it is, who won any sporting events or what on Earth is happening in the news? Just awesome!

It's so true, losing track of days is definitely a thing when staying on property. Everyday feels the same!

Also hate to be a downer. We have never been to world yet. Going next month for the first time ever. Husband said today that we won't be back due to the stress of preplanning the trip that ADRs, FP+, and itinerary has put on me. Then factor in airlines changing layover times and having to change flights. Plus we were denied the fall discount. Wasn't counting on it to begin with, yet would of been nice with airlines changing layover times and change fees. Then to find out people hoard ADRs and FP+, plus some shenanigans that some play just sucked the magic out. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we're going to do it since we've never been to world. Yet I can say with 100% certainty we won't be back to world due to all the preplanning loops and hoops. Preplanning has burnt me out. So far Disneyland wins for the ease of preplanning and for it being spontaneous.

The preplanning can be rough. There are just sooo many things to consider. Even as someone who loves the detailed preplanning, I get burnt out too. But there really is something at WDW you get that just doesn't exist at Disneyland. When I visited Disneyland my entire focus was just on Disneyland - we had 5 day hoppers and loved every minute in Disneyland. And yet - I personally missed the feeling of how vast Disney World is. Even after 2 weeks onsite, there was so very many things I didn't do. I like the feeling that there's more, more more - more to explore, more to enjoy, more to discover.

I wouldn't worry about the shenanigans. Sure there is some of it - but there's always going to be some of that. Even in Disneyland people hoard FPs by going early and grabbing all they can. There's always ways to "work" the system. You just have to decide if it's important to you to be super efficient, or to just go with the flow. I'm usually into efficiency, but this past trip, I let it go and just went with it. We didn't do anywhere near as many rides as we could have - but I think my SIL would have rebelled at that type of trip LOL! Even the couple of times I had us marching all over the place to be efficient drove her nuts. She is the type of person who is totally fine missing her must-dos if that works out best for her in the moment (I'm so not like that lol!). \

Also, I bet some of your frustration is the learning curve. WDW definitely has a steeper learning curve than DLR. Although, I do have to say - DLR has its own learning curve and I spent ages figuring it oout (especially since it took time to separate out the differences from WDW - I was often guilty of assuming certain things would be the same and getting tripped up).

Anyway, have fun in Disney World and don't spend too much time comparing it to Disneyland. You've put in the work, now reap the rewards! And then if your family likes DLR better, plan your next trip to DLR...which is completely magical and enchanting in its own right!

The Disney bubble. I love being totally immersed in Disney. And although I am a planner and do plenty of planning before the trip, once I get to Disney I just go with the flow. If we happen to miss a ride, it's okay. We'll catch it the next time. We don't rush. We don't do rope drop. We don't follow a touring plan. We just relax and enjoy being completely in the Disney bubble.

The family time. I've been going every 4 years since I was 5 (I'm 41 now). I was able to take my husband for his first time at the age of 33. I was able to take my DS and DD for their first time, then 7 and 5, along with my parents. I'll never forget seeing them take it in for the first time. And I'll never forget how much my parents enjoyed being there to see it.

The CMs - We've even had some "bad" times at Disney. My grandmother fell one time at Epcot. Broke her glasses and scratched up her hands. My other grandmother outran us all walking in the parking lot to the car at MK when lightening struck because she's terrified by lightening. I fell at HS and sprained my ankle. My parents had to push me in a wheelchair for the remainder of the trip. I lost my purse at Epcot. Thankfully a CM saw it and got it to Guest Relations so quickly that it made it there before I did. How they did that I'll never figure out! A monsoon hit on my kids first trip to AK. Even with ponchos, we were all soaked to the bone and shivering. You'd think with all of that I'd be ready to give up on Disney. But they are actually good memories. We laugh and joke about them all of the time. Why? Because Disney always took care of us. The CMs were awesome each time trying to make it a magical trip despite the "bad." Where else would that happen?? It's just magical no matter what is going on outside or inside the bubble. Where do they find these wonderful people??

Disney has always been and will always be my happy place. I wish we could afford to go more often but, come hell or high water, every 4 years we will be going home!

The Disney bubble.

This is why I enjoy WDW so much. My first trip was 3 years ago at the age of 33. It's not so much the characters for me (the kids love them though), it's not the rides, it's not the food. As others have said it's the bubble, leaving my real life and cares behind for a week and live in the world Walt dreamed.

The minute I get off the plane I don't have to worry about work, bills, picking up my bags (thanks DME!), or money (charge it to the magic band). It's just a disconnect from reality for a week. I'm sure there are other ways to get the same feeling, maybe an all inclusive tropical/southern retreat or something. Maybe when the kids are older we'll try it. I've never been on a cruise either.

I usually leave sore, exhausted, and with a big credit card statement waiting for me at home to pay, but there's just something about the escape to the bubble that keeps me going back.

The almost total escape from the real world. I pass under that sign and leave my troubles behind me.
I've been enough times that I know my way around. Also, the level of stress that comes with planning has gone way down now.
And, no matter how many times I've been, I always find something new to keep my visits fresh.

I am 64 years of age and my wife is 63. We grew up watching the Wonderful World of Disney, reruns of the original Mickey Mouse Club with Annette, and going to the movie theaters every 7 years for the re-release of the classics. As a child and even today I loved Disney. I also never believed I would ever get to go to Disneyland because we just weren't of that social class. To be able to go to WDW is a dream come true. Honestly, how many of you have had a dream since childhood only to finally have it come true? The first time my wife and I walked into the Magic Kingdom we both began to cry. Our kids thought we were nuts. Now that we are older and have more disposable income, my wife and I make the annual trip to WDW every year. Why? It brings back that feeling of our childhood where dreams come true and life was so much simpler. That is why we travel down to Florida every year. Next trip-60 days. Next one after that, 166 days.

For me, it's primarily because there is just so much to do. Why go to the beach, when Disney resorts have "beaches" plus all the great park and shopping? Why just go camping when you can have an awesome outdoor experience at Fort Wilderness and enjoy amusement parks? There are things I am beginning to tire of...I couldn't possibly sit through another "Festival of the Lion King," but there is just SO much to do.

I think it's just something we're comfortable with.

We grew up going to Walt Disney World. My parents were never beach people or ones to hop on a plane (they are now—no way 4 adults are sitting in a car together for 21 hours) so we'd drive down to Florida, visit grandma and grandpa, then go to the parks. We did it every 4-or-so years.

In 2008 my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I just finished my freshman year of college and my sister was 2 or 3 years into her teach career. It took us for a spin. But after chemo and surgery he went into remission. We wanted to celebrate. He had been through hell and it had been a stressful time for my family.

I remember getting a call around September. My mom said "dad wants to go to Disney for Christmas."
"Wait.. what?" We had only traveled to Disney during summertime and had always spent Christmas at home with our extended family, but being in college and my sister being a teacher now allowed us to go away during the holiday week.

But my dad wanted to see what Disney was like during Christmas and we obliged. We were lost our first trip. It was insanely crowded, wound up being VERY cold (mid 30s at night) and we knew a fraction of what we know now. We figured it'd be a one-time thing, but we still had so much fun that we returned in 2010. We skipped in 2011, as I didn't find a job post-college until November. By then it was too late to put together a trip. But we returned in 2012 and have been every year since.

This year we became AP holders. We went in Easter and are going again for Halloween and Christmas.

My dad is getting a little sick of it. My mom is indifferent. She doesn't go on the rides, but feels any opportunity to not do dishes or cook for the holidays is worth it. I love it. I used to be embarrassed being such a big Disney fan as a 20-something guy, but I've embraced it. I have a podcast, I blog and more. I plan every trip to the fullest extent and take pride in whether or not everything goes smoothly.

Does it get stale? Sometimes. But Disney has been adding new shows and attractions which keeps us excited. We started staying deluxe for Christmas a year ago and have enjoyed every second of it. It's not longer just about the parks - we like to hang by the pool and enjoy the resort. We also like hanging out by Disney Springs and doing things we can't do at home, where it's 30 degrees.

Can we do Italy or an island for the same price? Sure. But Disney has that nostalgic effect.

Planning can be a pain particularly when Disney changes around park hours, events, etc pretty much within weeks of your trip but even the stress of some of this would never keep me from going. First world problems, I guess. What would keep me from going is what may be happening to Epcot, my favorite park. Future World being the issue. Putting a Disney movie IP roller coaster in Future World has no correlation to what the vision is for Epcot. That my friends, is a disgrace. To be honest, it's not the same as it used to be. People I went with are gone now and I can't get that back. So it doesn't resonate the same with me as before. I think the disappearance of certain attractions is also a part of it. I go with DH but he's not really a Disney fan. He'll enjoy it for the most part but he could easily do something else and be equally happy. Since I'm a DVC member, maybe next year for a few days, if at all. Really want to take that long awaited Alaska cruise and not on a Disney ship.

Last edited:
I love the Disney bubble, my daughter loves dressing up and being treated like a princess by the CMs the entire trip, and we are a military family so it woudn't be so expensive if I didn't splurge on extras!

I think December will be our last trip for a while unless we go in the Summer for one more trip with our APs. Its time for us to start vacationing elsewhere. I want to cruise and will look to other cruise lines. Disney is pricing us out as a family and we are solidly in the middle class.

For 10 days every Fall or Spring we enter an alternative universe, one that simultaneously is familiar yet new. Yes, we know Main St in MK is an idealized version of Americana to be found nowhere in reality and that I'm not really in an English pub in the pic below but they're real enough for us.

Bill From PA

Totally agree Bill. I always say we step off the planet into another world, and forget about our normal life worries for our time at WDW.

What most folks said....escape. It really is a bubble where you forget about the outside world and nothing matters other than where the next ice cream cart is located.

I have fond memories of visiting as a kid and love reliving that with my daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter