• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What items are not being allowed in carry-on luggage?

We're flying America West in October and Delta in November. I'll give each airline a call when it gets closer to our travelling dates. I was just hoping that there was a uniform list published somewhere, but it sounds like it depends on the airline and the airport.

I'm hoping that walk-mans will be allowed. My DD loves to listen to books on tape and they keep her occupied for along time.

Also, has anyone had any trouble gate-checking a stroller?

Thanks again,
Mary :)

I asked Delta if 1.need special ID for kids under 18? -- NO
2.can you have matches/lighters in your carry-on?(my mom smokes)- YES
3.can you have gameboys/cd/tape players ? Yes again.

Seems as alot of the regular things are being allowed still. Hope this helps some.
Michelle

DH just called me from the plane. He said O'hare is relatively empty. Had to travel on business today ( I don't think I slept a wink last night). But we have great confidence in our air system right now. He was using the cell phone to call me with no problem. I made him leave the disposable razor at home.

SWA is allowing gameboys, laptops and cellphones. In fact, one passengar was talking on his cell phone as we were boarding, they gave the usual speech that they needed to be shut off as we took off (cell phones for the duration of the flight) and landed. Laptops and gameboys were allowed to be used during the flight.
Pens and pencils were allowed as were lighters.

I just flew back from Atlanta Friday on AA. I had several items that I thought might be confiscated due to the rumors I'd heard, including an aerosol can of hairspray, nail clippers, a disposable razor, and my cell phone. They didn't even open my bag at all, just looked at it through the x-ray machine. There was even an ongoing announcement over the PA system when I walked by the Delta security gates telling people to put their cell phones in their CARRY-ON bags, as opposed to their checked luggage. I'm not sure why. Maybe the cell phones set things off when they x-ray checked baggage, and they're having to search too many bags only to find a cell phone? I don't know.

Anyway, I didn't have anything taken away from me, but it's still probably best to call you airline to check on approved items. AA was still allowing 2 carry-ons, but others airlines apparently allow only 1.

caitycaity,
Not sure what untrue info you are referring to, BUT, be aware, each airport sets their own standards. I did not encounter any restrictions at BDL or BWI, BUT DID at MCO. This was for SWA's concourse/gate.
I would be surprised if United was not taking an equal stand at their concourses also.
If you call SWA, you will not find that the list of items banned at Orlando is in their system.
Again, it is up to the airport security, as to what they will or will not allow at their airport.

Gail, can you be more specific about what was not allowed in carry-on baggage from MCO, especially if it was allowed from BWI?

We're flying from BWI to MCO and back on Southwest.

In Orlando, nail files(metal), scissors of any kind, corkscrews, can openers, wallet chains and nail clippers were not allowed. There is a large chart at security telling you, along with pictures, what is not allowed.
From BWI, I saw no such chart or restrictions. Which is not to say they were not there, I may have missed it. However, at BWI, our digital camera batteries set off quite a bit of concern.
They inspected and dusted the laptop, the camera, the case and the batteries and charger for explosive powder. So, my advice, don't take batteries in your carry on unless it is in something like a game boy, mine were loose. Trust me, on the return, they were in my checked baggage. :) The cell phones did not raise an eyebrow.
Barb, I have to say that I was impressed with security, they were efficient, polite and did not make us feel like criminals. This, btw, was for the security checkpoint for SWA, I did not scope out any other airline. Just saw the massive lines at MCO for other airlines. SWA moved rapidly, not more than a ten minute wait to check in the bags at the counter. About a two minute wait for security before going to the gate.
Hope this helps. Be happy to answer anything else that you need. :)

We will be flying soon on SWA from BDL to BWI round trip. I was wondering how early you arrived at the two airports. BWI is saying to arrive 4 hours early--did you find this necessary?

Thanks for your help.

>> Don't take batteries unless they are in a Gameboy...

Careful. Each electronic item needs to have working batteries in it so it can be demonstrated in front of the security agent. This is a common test they use to judge whether the electronic item is not itself a bomb.

Another advantage of getting to the airport extra early, in case of dispute over what is allowed, there will be time to move it to checked baggage, or even create a piece of checked baggage for it.

TwinKAT,
I was at BWI for a connecting flight, so, I never saw the ticket counter. We did leave the airside to catch a smoke and some food, but, the security line to get back in was short and would have been quick if I had not had the dig. camera and laptop and batteries.

Seashore,
You misquoted me. I said :"So, my advice, don't take batteries in your carry on unless it is in something like a game boy". We did not have to turn on the computer or the digital camera, they "dusted" it for explosives. Imagine if they did make you demonstrate your game boy, or whatever, and it was an explosive device. I think the dusting is a bit safer, don't you?

Gail,

Thanks so much for the info! I'm glad to hear the security line wasn't terribly long.

Gail: A few years ago, I had to show them my beeper worked. I guess if a person refused, you'd know something was wrong with it, if you know what I mean. Dusting makes more sense.

We're just back from WDW. We went BWI to MCO and back. We got to BWI 2.5 hours early on Tuesday. (We planned on three, but forgot something and had to go back home!) Our flight was at 7:40AM and we got there about 5:10AM. The SWA baggage check-in line snaked around and around, and back and back and back...but moved pretty fast. It took us about an hour to get through checking baggage and about 15 minutes for security. Security just scanned everything with the machine and didn't take any longer than normal. We would have needed more time if we'd been selected for the hand check, but we weren't. Also, if we had had to go back and check in something that had been rejected by security that would have taken an extra hour. So yes, it probably is a good idea to give it 3 hours.

This morning we got to MCO about 2 hours early, and had plenty of time. (We had another REALLY early flight, so later in the day it might have taken more time.)

BTW, my kids both had pretty full back packs with school books, electronic games, a CD player, etc. and had no problems at all with security.

My friend just flew in for the F1 race this w/e in Indy from CA. She got her tweezers through one airport, but the next one took them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter