What is your typical wait time to get into your grocery store?

Last Wednesday was the first time I went to the supermarket since they began enforcing limited entry. It took about 10 minutes to get in, about 15 minutes to check out once I was finished shopping. I plan to go again later today and hope the wait is no longer than what I experienced last week.

No wait here in NC. Just walk in. Also no TP...EVER! Been looking 1-2 times a day for 5 weeks and NOTHING.
I watch inventory online and if I see it’s in stock I drop everything...pray it’s still there...and literally wait until they put it out which isn’t easy because I’m supposed to be working from home. Most of th time I just tell my employer why I have to run out...he gets it. I know the delivery days of a couple of local stores just from calling around and being nice! One thing I do for paper towels is go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy rolls of the paper shop towels. 👍

Depends on the store. If it's Trader Joe's there's always a line to get in. It really depends on how crowded it is. I've been to assorted dollar stores (they often have a great selection) and I've seen ones where there was a short line and others where it wasn't crowded at all. I haven't been to a chain supermarket yet that had a line to get in. There was a specialty supermarket that had a pretty long line. Costco now has a line to get in. I went to a Walmart once to get something specific, and that had a line.

I call that a well deserved perk for a grocery store manager to take advantage of - who is no doubt being run ragged and dealing with some crazy folks in a crazy situation! I don't think either of you should feel the slight bit ashamed of it or that you are bending the rules.
Oh it's insane. During what is normally the slowest time of year the store had its busiest day in its decades long history and sales are up 30-35% over last year. The bosses are happy, the staff is exhausted.

Depends on the store. If it's Trader Joe's there's always a line to get in. It really depends on how crowded it is. I've been to assorted dollar stores (they often have a great selection) and I've seen ones where there was a short line and others where it wasn't crowded at all. I haven't been to a chain supermarket yet that had a line to get in. There was a specialty supermarket that had a pretty long line. Costco now has a line to get in. I went to a Walmart once to get something specific, and that had a line.

Assuming you're still in a stay at home mandate, it sure sounds like you've been out a lot.

Walk in grocery store.
I go to Costco during senior hour and it was 20 minutes last time, but they were only letting 25 in at a time
Same thing here. We do senior hours at both Sam's Club and Von's. Sam's club first, so we waited about 15 minutes since we were there just before they opened. Von's, we just walked in.

If I go after work, I walk right in. If I get there when they open, it's usually a Saturday. I get in line about 10 minutes before opening, and I'm usually in the store about 10 5-10 minutes after opening.

I keep hearing about the delivery companies; doesn't really fit well with my current lifestyle. Once the freezer is filled all I really need is at most a week's work of fresh produce. The cost, lack of physical movement, and ability to personally assess the worthiness of veggies and fruits are factors important to me.
That being said I'll leave it for others to do and based on the frustration some are having in getting delivery slots I guess they're happy there is less competition.

No wait here in Central Virginia. However, I drove past Costco(not a member), and their parking lot was jammed. I heard there's a wait to get in there. Our little rural store doesn't have delivery or pick up service, so we all just go in there and do our best.

Assuming you're still in a stay at home mandate, it sure sounds like you've been out a lot.

We are at stores twice a week. Wear the mask and do social distancing. Out for walks everyday and sometimes stop in the local coffee shop that's open to get one to go.

What do you consider a lot?

Oh it's insane. During what is normally the slowest time of year the store had its busiest day in its decades long history and sales are up 30-35% over last year. The bosses are happy, the staff is exhausted.
Full Disclosure - my BIL is a manager of a grocery....we are hearing some fun stories from him!

The only time I've seen a wait was on Good Friday, it wrapped around the building.
I got back in my car and went to a different market, no wait.

Well yeah. About the only exception is to go out to buy groceries and other "essential supplies". I'd be OK with staying home more often and limiting this to once a week, but I have a 9 year old who is getting antsy. We just need an excuse to go out just to maintain sanity. And when we make a trip to go out, it might be several stores on the same trip.

Hubby went yesterday morning, he said no wait but they are only letting a certain amount of people in at a time. He said the longest wait he had was at the checkout counter. It was a Kroger. He said about 50% of the people had masks on and none of the employees did.

The Walmart in my town (North Florida) is a free for all. They are not limiting anything or enforcing any distancing.

The Walmart in my town (North Florida) is a free for all. They are not limiting anything or enforcing any distancing.
I really thought Walmart was a corporate directive. If so, I would hate to be in store management at that location for a multitude of reasons...

It's supposed to be a Walmart corporate requirement to limit to 5 customers per 1000 square feet. It's also supposed to be one specific entrance and one specific exit. Still - when we went we saw a single entrance and exit, so we'd be walking close to people waiting to get in. They had multiple entrances (this was a former multi-level department store) and the other entrances were closed off. Still - there was almost no wait at the registers with limits on the number of people in the store.

There are specific requirements in my county/state. I haven't been to any kind of store that doesn't have someone at the entrance. It's just that sometimes it looks more like they've estimated that they're within the limits and there's no need for a line.

DH is my designated shopper. So far so good. No wait times except maybe a few extra minutes in the check-out as there have only been 2 lanes opened. He goes about 10 am on Mondays.

In my town there are no set amount of people. My town is only about 2000 people about 3500 if you add in the those who live outside city limits, so no real need to limit people. I ran some errands yesterday and went on paper towel check. Ran right into stores, ran right out when I came up empty handed. The only store I know of that has a limit is our local butcher. Their store is very small, so a limit of 3 people is completely understandable. I haven't gone to the next town where I normally do my shopping yet. I have a pick up order waiting for me Friday. Pick up orders are not at all stores in my area. I live too far out for deliveries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter