What is Your Preferred Transportation from the Airport?

Which of these would you choose?

Option 1: nonstop flight to/from LAX at a cheaper price

Option 2: flights with layovers for $100 more

Option 1 obviously seems the best. We're just concerned that getting around LAX (finding luggage; finding the shuttle) may be crazy and not worth the stress.

What would you do?

Option 1 for us without a doubt! We fly from Montreal, Canada so it's a 6 hours flight! No way we get layovers to top that!!!

Since we don't drive, we always use the Disneyland Express which is quite easy to find!

I am one who usually will pay a bit more for SNA over LAX, just for the convenience and ease of the airport. However, when we have used LAX, it wasn't that bad, not to mention that a non stop flight always ranks high on my list as well. We can fly direct into SNA, so it's a win win. So I would probably choose the direct into LAX and just make the best of it.

My rant about LAX: The only part that was bad for us was getting through security on the way home last year. For some reason they made everybody go through one security checkpoint on a 2nd level rather than the 2 on the main level... And they had security people calling only people who's flight was at a certain time....so no matter where you were in line, you were called by flight time and as we were quite a bit early so we could have lunch at the airport (small children) before getting on the plane, we had to stand there for 1.5 hours!! No I'm not exaggerating. We ended up having about 30 min till boarding, and had to scramble down to McDonalds which was the closest to us and have the kids eat as quickly as possible to make our boarding time.
SO I really really hope and must think this was a fluke and can't be the norm, otherwise others would complain as well.
We are used to dealing with large airports, but have never had this experience.

Option 1.

LAX is confusing for the residents picking up their friends and relatives.

Have to disagree with this. We are residents and have no trouble navigating LAX. I don't understand why anyone would think it to be confusing - terminals are clearly labeled, as are the curbs for shuttles and curbs for personal passenger pickup. Very easy. Very congested at times (most times), but very easy.

I say Option 1. Save the money and use it for a fun vacation.

I would recommend comparing your party using Disneyland Express Shuttle/SuperShuttle (look for discounts on the web) or a limo/towncar service.

We don't find LAX particularly confusing. It's not the nicest airport I've been in, but we've never gotten lost. The way to baggage claim is very clearly marked, as are the gates. Security can be hectic depending on the time and day, but nothing worse than I've seen at other airports.

I'm also a fan of DK Livery, and will add that they'll do a free grocery stop on the way to your hotel, which comes in very handy. Also, it has the benefit of not needing to find a shuttle, because their driver will meet you at the baggage claim. Heck, a couple years ago, we were a little slow to get to bagage claim, and by the time we got there, the driver was standing next to one of our suitcases! He was waiting for us, and recognized my name on the luggage tag as it passed by, so went ahead and pulled it off for me!

One thing I will advise against is renting a car, unless you're sure you'll need it during your Disneyland trip. Picking up a car from one of the rental agencies around LAX can take a very long time, plus you have to deal with finding your way back and forth, AND you will likely end up paying to park it if your hotel is anywhere near Disneyland.

I have booked DK Livery for our Sept. trip. We are a family of 6 with 2 small children. They will provide the carseats and they will make one stop at a store. Round trip which includes tip is $170.00. Better than Super Shuttle and we don't have to circle the airport or stop at other hotels.

LAX is $100 cheaper per person. However, SNA has a lot more fans on this board, it seems. Regardless of which we choose, what is the best way to get to the resort (Grand Californian)? What is the price difference in shuttles/cars between LAX and SNA?
I'd fly in at which airport is cheaper at lax there are lots of shuttles that leave regularly. Google shuttles from lax to Disneyland. I like mickeys spaceship it's like 15 per person. SNA is closer I live just blocks from Disneyland and the taxi fare was 33 dollars from SNA.

DK Livery with the grocery stop sounds like a great idea! We probably won't eat in our room much, but if I can grab a 24 pack of pop for DH that will definitely save us money! I will probably get some breakfast foods too.

Question: Do you have one family member go shopping while the others stay in the car? We could get done faster if we all went in, but I'm not real thrilled with leaving our luggage unattended.

When I went in August, car rental was the same price from either airport. We got the same price with a flight into SNA and out of LAX. So great getting a car at SNA. The rental place is next to the baggage, the cars a short walk away - no shuttle required. IIRC, our SUV rental was $488 + tax for 12 days. So great to have a car at DLR. One beer is $7-8 at the pool, but only $6 for 6 at the market. We also got other groceries at ate offsite for less than at the hotel (DLH).

DK Livery with the grocery stop sounds like a great idea! We probably won't eat in our room much, but if I can grab a 24 pack of pop for DH that will definitely save us money! I will probably get some breakfast foods too.

Question: Do you have one family member go shopping while the others stay in the car? We could get done faster if we all went in, but I'm not real thrilled with leaving our luggage unattended.

We usually travel with just the two of us, and both go in. We leave our luggage in the car. Given the short amount of time, I'm not worried that the driver will park the car, go into the back, open our bags, and dig through looking for valuables, then try to close everything back up and be back in the driver's seat before we get out of the store. If this concerns you, you could always throw a luggage lock on before you put your stuff in the car/van.

Unless you're worried that the driver will just drive off WITH your luggage, but that just seems really, really unlikely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter