What is your **Pixie Dust** in a bottle?

DisneyMissy318

DIS Veteran
Okay... I admit it - I'm starting to look old :scared: ... I'm 39 1/2 :hourglass and have been VERY LUCKY up until this point on looking way younger than my birth certificate says. I was even carded :cool2: last year at Applebee's (you don't forget those things!)

As I've been a strictly soap and water kinda girl up until this point. :hippie: I'm wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions of what to use on my face... that doesn't cost a fortune... I'm sure there are some OTC things that would help ward off the signs of aging - but I have no clue where to start. :confused:

I wear Mary Kay foundation - and mascara - I get blush and some eye colors from Avon. The Avon catalog has the Anew line, but there are so many choices - and I've heard that Oil of Olay has some good products too!

I'm looking for your opinions - what do you use to keep that youthful look?

Maybe some Pixie Dust in a bottle?? pixiedust:

Here's my list of the cheap way to do it:
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Avoid alcohol & caffeine (causes puffiness)
  • Get plenty of sleep (no dark circles)
  • Stay out of the sun.
  • Wear sunglasses, even in the winter (less squinting minimizes crows feet)
  • Wear a hat and sunscreen when you go out in the sun.
  • Exercise.
  • Take a multivitamin and eat a balanced diet low in saturated fats and high in whole grains and omega-3 fatty acids. (combats cellular damage)
  • Don't smoke (creates lines around the mouth and causes cellular damage throughout the body).
  • Whiten your teeth by using a whitening toothpaste
  • Lip balm to keep lips from looking old & dry
  • Update your hairdo and wardrobe (your high school look only makes you look your age)
  • Update your makeup pallete and techniques yearly
  • Go lighter with your haircolor, especially if you're fairskinned

I agree with Lisa. I'm not sure that all that stuff works. My girlfriend just paid $300 for a kit of "stuff". We'll see in a couple of months if a difference is noticed. There have been shows on 20/20 and such that say that they are just a gimmick. I too have always been told I looked younger than I am. I was carded at 40. I won't forget that. I am now 44 and still look younger than my age. People are always surprised. I am a big advocate for exercise. It keeps you mentally and physically younger. I love Oil of Olay soap. I think that the more natural you are the better. I wear only mascara and lipstick but not everyday. I don't want to feel like I can't go out of the house without it. Don't let your age drag you down. I'm sure you look great!

Oh, and I want to add that you should embrace the idea of getting older. Forty is a great time in your life! The kids are easier to handle, you're more financially secure, you begin to get back to being yourself (instead of being someone's Mom). Yes, I have some age spots, a few silvery-gray hairs and the lines on my face show when I smile. I consider them all to be badges of honor for a life that has been well-lived. I'm on the downhill side of forty and I have to admit that this is the very best time of my life.

Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize

If You Decide To Try The Anew Products I Personally (being A Rep) Would Suggest That You Try Retroactive. No Need To Go Crazy And Buy All The Other Stuff Too.

Being in my early 50's I can tell you I use lots of moisturizer too and try to drink water during the day. I have found if you keep water in the refrigerator you will be more likely to drink it.

My cleanser and moisturizer are Mary Kay's 3 in 1 system. They also will try to sell you extra products but these 2 bottles are really all you need.

Another thing to remember is ALWAYS remove your makeup before going to bed, even if it is just mascara. For each time you do not cleanse your face from all makeup you will age 1 week.

And please if you color your hair stay away from black. I see 80 year old people waking around and look like they have stuck their heads in a coal bucket.

Thank you for all of the AWESOME advice! :love: Those tips will serve me well!

I stay towards more natural make-up - I like it to look like I don't have any one at all. However, I have been bad about actually removing the make-up at night - so that will be part of my new routine. As well as moisturizing. I guess since I've always had partly oily skin that I didn't really think I needed to add more moisture.

I also want to thanks Mad4TheMouse for the 40th birthday pep talk... 40 is the new 30 right?!

I KNEW I would get some great responses from my DisBuddies!

Thanks again!

DisneyMissy

Captain Morgan!!! After a few glasses of Planter's Punch I feel like a million bucks.:rotfl2:

I'm a fan of the Olay Regenerist line. I get flaky patches on my forehead and nose (despite them being on the oily side), but when I use the Regenerist night cream faithfully it goes away, which tells me it really is doing a good job with skin renewal. It keeps my skin really soft, too. Best of all it's not too expensive, most of the items are $15-$20 but you can do better with sales/coupons/rebates.

Thank you for all of the AWESOME advice! :love: Those tips will serve me well!

I stay towards more natural make-up - I like it to look like I don't have any one at all. However, I have been bad about actually removing the make-up at night - so that will be part of my new routine. As well as moisturizing. I guess since I've always had partly oily skin that I didn't really think I needed to add more moisture.

I also want to thanks Mad4TheMouse for the 40th birthday pep talk... 40 is the new 30 right?!

I KNEW I would get some great responses from my DisBuddies!

Thanks again!

DisneyMissy

I am not a Mary Kay rep or anything, just happens to be what I use. But anyway they have one for dry skin and one for oily skin in the line I use. So the cleanser and 3-in-1 can be ordered for your type of skin.

If your skin isn't too oily, Vaseline. Seriously, I have two friends, one in her late 30s and one in her 80s with fantastic skin and they both swear by slathering on the Vaseline each night. I spoke to a doctor who says that Vaseline "breathes," whatever that may mean.

For oilier skin like mine, I love the Oil of Olay product line. Nighttime at night and the oily skin moisturizer in the a.m. under my makeup. The prices are good and I stock up with sales/coupons.

I'm 37 and a half. I've always looked very young for my age, but over the past 3-4 years I feel like I've aged 10 years in physical appearance. A few years ago I could have easily passed for my mid-20s, but now I feel like I look closer to my age, or maybe just a few years younger. I guess it happens to all of us.

Other than using more moisturizer than I used to, I hadn't done much until very recently. I just switched over to minerals makeup and it's amazing how well it works. I know it doesn't stop the aging, but it sure covers up those little fine lines that keep popping up around my eyes!

I'm using Everyday Minerals brand...I can't compare it to Base Escentuals since I haven't tried that brand, but it's less than 1/2 the price and seems to work great for me. It killed me to even spend the money on the Everyday Minerals, but I'm so glad I did!

Oil of Olay face wash and moisturizer. The moisturizer has SPF in it, too. My friends and I call it "Oil of Delay".
I use vaseline on my feet!! Works great.

I hit 40 a year or so ago. At 40, after never being anything but a soap and water girl myself, I really did decide my face looked bad. I have found a combination that has worked miracles and my skin has never looked better. I started out with the Clinique skin line, soap, toner, and Dramatically different moisturizer. Then I started using Repairwear 15 Day after the sales clerk told me the repair line would be better for someone my age!! I guess I was past Dramatically different. I added Olay's Total Effects Intensive Resoration (in a tube) for the worst areas of wrinkles. I've since moved on to the Clinique Repairwear Night instead of the Dramatically different also. Oh, forgot-I just got a bottle of Bioelements Quick Refiner from the spa. It is great on areas that have discolorations from age or past sun. Me thinks I'm not a soap and water girl anymore! This is more like confessions of the old and aged.

But, I echo AKA-M-4-T-M's comments about 40's being great. I've not only improved my skin, I lost 50 pounds after I started running and am doing my first marathon this year. We ROCK!

I have always used oil of olay and now use the daily one with the sph in it. I exercise, try and drink lots of water and get my 8 hours of sleep at night. Im going to be turning 40 next year!

Captain Morgan!!! After a few glasses of Planter's Punch I feel like a million bucks.:rotfl2:

Ok, that's kind of where I went too!:lmao: I was going to say a very large glass of Louis Jadot Beaujolais! :upsidedow

Now, I'll say a glass of LJ Beaujolais, Philosophy Purity and Philosophy Hope in a Bottle. I finally tried it in May 2006 when I was super depressed and utilizing shopping therapy. I used to have a lot of redness and skin issues. Now I have nice even tones, firmer skin and no monthly zit issues!:banana:

I am a dedicated Cinique girl. I have used Clinique for years. My skin stays clear and well moisturized. I use their 3 main products - the cleanser, the toner and the moisturizer. And I am holding my own at 42 :thumbsup2

After being a faithful Estee Lauder user for about 15yrs, I switched to Chanel products for about a year. I decided they weren't worth the extra $$ and didn't like the way they felt on my face, so I switched back to Estee. About a year ago, I stumbled across this line: http://www.weieast.com/ and have found the China Herbal line produces the best results. The lady who sells these products started out by selling on HSN and you will find the best deals during her visits on HSN.com. Check out the reviews on www.hsn.com for the "Eyes Alive" product. This stuff truly erases lines around the eyes and it isn't just while you are wearing the product. It works so great that I've been using it on just about my entire face.:rotfl2: The "silk" line is good too but doesn't work on wrinkles like the China Herbal does. I like to use the silk line at night after I wash my face. I use the Eyes Alive both day and night. You will see noticeable results within a few days of use. The best part, is the cost. You can get an entire kit for about $40-50 during her visits. They sell out really fast - so you have to order as soon as it pops up on the website. Another one of her products that works great is the lip kit. It's a 2-pc set - and another one that I highly recommend trying. It softens & plumps up your lips. The White Olive lip gloss is kind of like a thick Vaseline type product - but - better, IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter