What is your pet's name and how did you choose it?

We have a mini dachshund named Frank E. Not Frankie.....lol. My husband named him when we got him at 8 weeks old and insisted that "when he grows up, he's going to just go by Frank." I am so not a dog person but as soon as I saw this puppy's pic, I knew that I had to have him. Frank E. does not know that he's a dog.....to him and the kiddos, he's the baby brother :goodvibes

Aww I have a Frankie wienerdog too! He is a black and tan longhair. We didn't name him though he came with that name haha. We also have Spencer who is a dapple black and tan long hair standard dachshund who also came with his name. He use to be my parents dog and my dad liked a show called Spencer for Hire lol. We have a chocolate and tan long hair dachshund named Scooby. I actually named him since his name when he came to us was Rusty. What a dumb name for him. And I always wanted a dog named Scooby haha. And then we have our princess cocker Shelby. When we adopted her, her name was Shelly. I do not like that name and didn't sound very southern to me so hence the name Shelby haha. And it is so close together wasn't an issue for her to get used to.

The pony is Ginger, after Ginger the chicken in Chicken Run (one of older DD's obsessions at the time).

The cat is Boone, after the little cowboy in Indian in the Cupboard (a book older DD liked at the time). Other DD named her cat Kenny, after Barbie's Ken, but sadly Kenny didn't survive.

The dog is Casey, after K.C. on Clifford, and after a town where she might have come from (she just showed up one 0º night, probably dumped off on our country road).

This is Tazio! The coolest cat in the world.

5956260590_b437d724e5_z.jpg

His name comes from Tazio Nuvolari; a race car driver from the 30s. It's a fun name to say.

He turned 3 years old the other day.

6437381663_1d626127d0_z.jpg

Find him on Facebook!

6437382539_b3f92ecf24_z.jpg

This is my Bandit when we first got him:

Bandit001-2.jpg

His mask is obviously what inspired his name. He's since lost his mask!

photo2.jpg

We have two Italian Greyhounds. The 3yo female is Trinity, named after the town where we lived at the time we got her. The 2yo male is Orlando, named after the town we like to visit. :goodvibes

Also have two cats. One is Tinky, because right after we got her the first thing she did was go pee in the corner. The other is Fattie, because she weighs 21 lbs. (Fattie used to be Roxie, but that hasn't suited her in many years).

We've had lots of animals over the years....

-Pepper - lab/shepard mix. I always thought the black hair on her back looked like someone sprinkled pepper on her.
-Cuddles - white cat with gray markings. No clue why my 11 year old self decided on that one.

-Sunny - my mom's late golden. My sister named her.

Chance - our old black lab/newfoundland mix. We rescued him from our local shelter, who rescued him the day before euthanasia. He got a second chance, so that became his name.

-Tigger - tiger striped tabby. Came to me with the name. She will be 17 in a few weeks and is MY cat. I can't sit down upstairs without her coming to sit on me. She's got a bit of dementia but she's my baby.

-Fizban - black cat with white markings - he was my first baby...got him early on in my first pregnancy. He's named after a wizard character in the Dragonlance novels. My ex still has him, and he's 17 this year...and deaf.

-Thanatos - orange tabby ex and I drove to Iowa to adopt. Not the brightest bulb on the tree (he once at a piece of thread with needle attached, which went up and out near his ear, missing anything vital). Ex still owned him until recently, when he figured out the doggie door and ran away.

-Penelope - newest addition to our family. She's a year old and is a beautiful long haired calico. She's my ds16's cat since she was brought here by my best friend from Missouri. For some reason, when I saw her pictures (as a newborn), she looked like a Penelope. Her official name is Princess Penelope, but she goes by P or Penelebrat. She's very high energy and thinks the Christmas tree is a jungle gym...but we love her.

One of my high school friends has an older dog named Draven, after Brandon Lee's character in The Crow.

We also have a dog named Violet. We were considering Daisy as a dog name, but then a friend got a dog and named it Daisy, so we took that out of the running. Then we met our dog as a sweet little pup at a rescue. The rescue called her Viola. (She was part of a littler that included Piccolo, Tuba, etc. Viola's not so bad!)

Since Daisy was off the table, we picked Violet because:
1) it was also a flower name
2) it was close to Viola
3) my husband loves "The Incredibles" and Violet is a character in it?
4) we booked a Disney vacation the same weekend we got the dog

It just seemed to fit.

Violet is a handful though. She's very headstrong. We're on our fourth dog trainer. She's great as long as you're looking... but if you turn your head, she's into something!
vi.jpg

This is Cosmo. He was also a rescue but was almost two when we got him. He already knew his name, so we kept it. He's a sweetheart. You know how they say that rescue dogs *know* they've been rescued. I think he does. (Violet is also a rescue, but I think she thinks she did us a favor!)
cosmo.jpg

We have a black teacup Toy Poodle. When his hair is long, he looks just like a black fuzzy spider...so, his name is SPIDER. :thumbsup2

We have 3 cats currently.

Our oldest is name Tchaikovsky Tea Latte. We call him Tchai, hence Tchai Tea Latte.

Then we have Onyx. Of course he is the most playful "black" cat. He is a rescue.

We recently adopted a ginger and white kitten. When my husband was clipping his nails, his little growls sounded so much like a pod racer we decided to name him Anakin.

We just lost our Golden Retriever, Orion. We actually named him after the planes that my husband used to fly in.

And our first feline, who we lost a few years back was named Tyson, after my father-in-law.

Fergie and Diana came pre-named, courtesy of my brother. He is a true Anglophile. They were born in 1993; he named Diana first, and then Fergie.

Diana passed away last year, but Fergie is still hanging in there (knock wood!)

Fergie is the one in the back:

12152_1312108330926_1477179842_30870405_943462_n.jpg

Maverick is my dog and I named him because I was talking about an old boyfriend of mine whose nickname was Maverick (he looks like Tom Cruise from Top Gun) with my roommate right before I got my puppy. She said that sounds like a good name for a puppy. It fits him to a T.
My husband's name is Soks because she has four white "socks" on her feet.

That beautiful black and white bunnyman in my profile pic is named Ralphie. That's the name they gave him at the shelter, and we kept it because it suited him and we love the movie A Christmas Story.

Our brown Ashley Belle Bunny was give a name at the shelter that we didn't like. She has gray streaks in her fur that make her look like she rolled in the fireplace, so DH wanted to name her Ashley. Belle is her middle name because she's a princess and needed a Disney name.

Lincoln is our 7 month old German Shepherd. We had a hard time coming up with a name, my DH and older DS just would not agree on a name with me. So I started going through the presidents and we all liked Lincoln. The kids call him Link or Linky :)

056-5.jpg

Lincoln is our 7 month old German Shepherd. We had a hard time coming up with a name, my DH and older DS just would not agree on a name with me. So I started going through the presidents and we all liked Lincoln. The kids call him Link or Linky :)

056-5.jpg
Lincoln is a beautiful dog!!!

My cat Dolly was named by the little girl of the family who was fostering her. When Dolly was a kitten rescued from the pound she was a very sickly runt. The daughter thought she was as fragile as a porcelein doll. With a story like that, how could I not keep the name?

Dolly is now four years old, still a petite just under eight pounds cat (and I believe most of that weight is fur), but eats us out of house and home and there's nothing fragile about her. She's the smallest Maine coon mix I have ever seen, though. :rotfl:

We have a baby Maine Coon Mix and she is tiny. I have no idea her weight but we have had her a month and while she has grown it has not been by much. I think she is going to be tiny ... I love her though. Becoming one of my favorite cats thus far ... she always wants to be around me.

This is Yadi, our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Shih Tzu mix. He's named after Yadier Molina of the St Louis Cardinals. We're HUGE fans and we thought the name was cute. I'm just glad we didn't name him Albert or Pujols. :rolleyes:

IMAG0113.jpg

We have a baby Maine Coon Mix and she is tiny. I have no idea her weight but we have had her a month and while she has grown it has not been by much. I think she is going to be tiny ... I love her though. Becoming one of my favorite cats thus far ... she always wants to be around me.

Awhhhhh!!! It wasn't until Dolly was over two years old that she reached her current size. I guess Maine Coon cats take longer to reach adulthood. :lovestruc

This is Yadi, our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel/Shih Tzu mix. He's named after Yadier Molina of the St Louis Cardinals. We're HUGE fans and we thought the name was cute. I'm just glad we didn't name him Albert or Pujols. :rolleyes:

I know someone else with a dog named Yadi after Yadier Molina!!!

And to go along with not naming him after Pujols, my parents have a dog we named Andy, after a basketball player (Anderson Varejao) on the Cleveland Cavaliers. We almost named him after Lebron James but nothing was clicking and Andy was perfect for him. THANK GOD WE NAMED HIM ANDY!

We had Boxer/?? and something else puppies, a boy and a girl many years ago. We had picked out the 2 dogs we wanted from MIL, so we knew what they looked like, just had to wait until they were weaned to get them. So, in the meantime we started looking into dog names. I felt like we were pregnant or something...going through books :rotfl:

Anyways, I picked the name for the girl, DH picked the name for the boy. We wanted "different" names. I wanted something Asian inspired for the girl, so I came up with Keiko. DH picked the name Tenzing for the boy.

They were super sweet dogs. Unfortunately they both got out of our backyard one day. We found out that Tenzing had been hit by a car. We were able to get Keiko back (she had been picked up by Animal Control). She was miserable without Tenzing. She wouldnt eat anything and she just stayed to herself. She ended up running away one day and we never found her.

We havent gotton another dog after we lost both of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter