What is your opinion of misters and battery operated fans for staying cool?

Disuser

DIS Veteran
During a conversation with my husband this morning he said that hand held misters and fans are "junk"! I said I would ask the experts on the DISBOARDS.

So, are they junk or do they work? If you like them what type or brand name would you recommend? Where do they sell them?
I really hate to load our group down with things to carry around the park. It is almost worth having a baby so we could use the stroller for storing our stuff :laughing: And the fact that we're in our sixties.:lmao:

i dont think they are junk, i know for us the kids loved them and kept them entertained and cool while we walked from place to place. it also kept us cool and was alot of fun squirting each other and using the fan :D. i do recommend that you buy one ahead of time at Walmart or another store as the ones in Disney are rediculously priced, bring extra batteries and use ice water inside the bottle.

Depending on what time of year you go. They really help in the Summer. Not real expensive probably $5-7. I bought ours 3 years ago and still have it so good investment in my book.

My DS can't handle the heat, so it is necessary for him.

I'm of differing, contradictory opinions. Do they work? Yes, they do. But, they are cumbersome to carry around...at least those big, Disney bought ones are. I have one and it seldom comes out of my Owners Locker. And they are terrific for keeping kids occupied in lines, and at keeping you cooled off. But....yes, another but....I have gotten my camera soaked by kids playing around with them, while in line.
So, if you don't mind carrying them around, and you use them responsibly, go for it.
I would much rather just stopping in a ladies room and washing my face, arms and neck with cool water.

They're right where the box fans are. I missed them a couple of times too when I first went to buy them!

We saw them the other day at our walmart in the home repairs section of all places. Over by the paint. They had 2 different sizes. They also had a thing that looked kinda like a dasani bottle that you bought a hose to attach to and it misted but no fan.

On a trip in July I didn't want to spend the money and we went without the first 3 days. Then I broke down and got one at Disney. It really helped. I was annoyed that I waited so long:rotfl:

I personally think that I'm still going to be hot, regardless and they are just one more thing to lug around and keep up with. Not worth the hassle, IMO.

We just use small hand fans, Disney taught me not to like the mist fans. Sure it might cool you off but for the people in line with you get misted is not always a good thing. Please teach kids to use them properly and not to squirt others. To me getting wet by them attracts the sun more. If using them make sure to keep up with the sunscreen.

I use a good quality cotton bandana, imerse it in the cool water obtained from the drinking fountain, wring it out and then wrap it around my neck. If its summer, then its hot, and I've been sweating so whats a little water.:cool1:

I am for them! I think they are a great way to stay cool and if you have children, they are a great source of entertainment while waiting in lines and such. And like i said they do keep you cool that's what is important!

walmart also has the small fans that you fill up with water
and the fan part is battery operated they have a clip so you
could loop them onto your belt they were 3.00 and I found
them at the endcap by the paint

I've seen them in the camping sections at Wal-Mart and Target - usually under $10 each.

I think DH thought I was nuts but a day into the trip he was a believer! Sure they're an extra thing to carry, but it's worth it to me!

I'm on the fence. Kind of a hassle, but nice to have in certain situations in the summer. Just don't expect it to

I'd do this:
- get a cheap one
- make sure it can clip to your belt or stroller so you don't actually need a hand for it when not in use.
- carry it for a day or two. If it isn't worth it, hand it to someone in the park who looks like they could use it.

Hand held fans are absolute MUST do for us when we travel during the summer.

There will never be anything you will be so glad you brought.

In general I would stay away from misters since you are wet already, spraying yourself again is counter productive...BUT having a fan to make that wetness evaporate and cool you down is priceless!!!

We have 2 younger kids and last year I was glad I brought a couple of extras because my youngest dropped his and broke a blade and another got left somewhere. I spent MAYBE $2-3 each on them so buying a couple extras was no big deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter