What is your one piece of advice for a Disney newbie?

Plan, plan, plan........then add a good pinch of flexibility.
I do like a school timetable by days, but then depending on park opening times, the days are interchangeable if we feel a little more tired than we thought on any given day. Works out great for us and by the end of the holiday we've still done everything we planned.

Get there early, plan a break and dining reservations off-peak times.

Don't stress. Relax and take breaks. Being overtired , hungry, and hot is not good for fun. Remember to stop and slow down and enjoy.

1) Buy the unofficial guide.
2) Visit these boards every day. The info on here is priceless.
3) Be at the parks for rope drop.
4) Make ADR's.

Don't get stressed out trying to have the perfect trip just plan out what you wanna do and if things don't work out perfectly your still in Disney and will be having a great time

^^^ummm that is 4 pieces of advice...hahaha

If you want something and are not sure, just wait a day, if you still want it; then buy it.

My one piece of advice would be to enjoy your family. There is so much to see and do we all often run from one thing to another. Plans can, will, and do change, that's ok as long as everyone is happy (or on the way to a nap to get happy :)). When one our DDs was little we sent a good 15-20 minutes watching some ducks. It was a nice rest and everyone was happy.

Have a good trip.

Planning:

1) Arrive at Rope Drop 15 min prior
2) Use Fast Passes
3) Plan what are must dos and if they are any of the following: Dumbo, TSM, Peter Pan, Splash, Space M., Soarin, Test Track, RnRC, Safari, Everest then either use FP or go their first! Especially with Dumbo - go their first no FP!
4) Make ADRs in advance 180 days if you want a certain restaurant.

5) Leave in the afternoon if it is really crowded - the nights are awesome and you want to enjoy it refreshed!

Enjoy - Most important tip:

6) After you are done planning, JUST ENJOY! Pre-plan so you don't have to do "commando" in the park. Have fun! And be willing to change the schedule to have fun. I know easier said then done but there is a balance, because Disney is so much about enjoying the atomsphere more than any amusement park in America.

Schedule but make it kinda loose. Enjoy take in the little things. Don't rush from place to place...You can see,hear, smell, taste and touch so many things others miss! :yay:

At each park, have everyone pick one thing that THEY MUST DO!!!!! For example, at MK, mom wants the Jungle Cruise, dad want Pirates, DS has to do Buzz ride and DD Dumbo. Call those your "mashed potatoes". You always make sure you have your potatoes, right? :stir:

Consider everything else you can do there as the gravy for those mashed potatoes. If you get to do Stitch and HK and Space Mountain, great! :genie: If not, well, they will keep until next time, and don't stress about doing it all.

Take the time to sit back and look. there is so much to see and do, you cannot do it all in one day, no matter how hard you try.

Make sure to take the midday breaks. Going to the parks for 16 hours, in the heat, with the kids, is too much. Get to RD and play until after lunch, then head back to the resort for some serious R&R time and also allow the kids to swim and take a nap. After your break head back to the park for the evening and nighttime activities. Crowd levels and heat is at their highest during the midday, so try to schedule other activities during that time.

Be polite and take it slow. It's your vacation, but it's also others as well. Treat the CMs and your fellow guests with respect and you'll have a much more enjoyable trip. Also don't let the "this is MY vacation get out of my way" guests ruin your day. There seems to be a decent amount of guests that have the "I paid a boatload for this vacation, so I'm going to have my funtimes without thinking of anyone else" attitude these days. They're definitely not going to be having as much fun as someone who isn't rushing around to get in front of the line and being an over all butthead all the time. :thumbsup2

:hug: btw, I say this as a general advice from what I've experienced from guests in WDW before, not singling anyone out :hug:

My number one piece of advice to any first-timer is:

Get to the parks at least 15 minutes before openeing, if at all possible.

You will get to see and do so much by being there at opening, as so many people show up between 10 am and noon. Then, when it's at its most crowded, midday, just head back to your resort (if you're staying onsite) for a swim and some relaxation. You'll be refreshed for your evening, wherever you plan to spend it.

Have a great time!

I agree with this but your kids are small so rope drop everyday might not happen.. but if you can this is a good way to make the most of your day. I am total agreement with the returning to your resort for a nap and resting in the middle of the day. My last trip was the my 1st one with my son and we needed a mid-day nap just as much as he did!:lmao:

:sunny:

You can't do everything. You simply can't. There are those of us who have been going for years and years and still have not done everything. Pick what you want to do the most and then cut that list in half. THEN anything extra is gravy. It's supposed to be a vacation - not a death march. Do NOT be the people having the meltdown in the middle of fantasyland. :)

I couldn't have said this better myself...like the OP said you are paying all this money for a vacation make sure you enjoy it too..;)

One thing I learned from this board is when traveling with small kids it helps to have a few must do's for each day. For me it was mostly 3 or 4 for the morning and 3 or 4 for the evening and once those were done then everything else was free time for anything.

I'll give you some by park:

Magic Kingdom - on your way to your afternoon break, stroll down Main Street, visit all the shops and make sure you buy some peanut brittle at the Confectionary. They make it fresh every day and it will run out! Disney wants to fill up all parts of the park, so there's a lot of entertainment there, too. Make sure you see the Dapper Dans and the marching band.

Watch the parades from Frontierland or grab a table at Sleepy Hollow and have funnel cakes while you're waiting. Pull up your stools right to the railing and you'll see the parade clearly and comfortably.

Epcot - go through Innoventions and do it all. There's a ton of fun stuff in there for kids, it's in the air-conditioning and makes it all fun!

Spend an evening in Future World. Everything is open until 9 except Innoventions and a couple of smaller things. It's one of the most beautiful parks at night, with the beautiful colors of Spaceship Earth all around. And usually much less crowded.

Watch the Jammitors. They're awesome!

DHS - on a non-Fantasmic night, make sure you go into the Animation Building by around 5:00. You'll see more characters in an hour than you would in a week. LOTS of different ones and Sorcerer Mickey too!

Take a drawing class in the Animation Building if your kids are old enough to sit still and try to follow directions. If not, save that for when they're older.

Animal Kingdom - do the Safari as early in the day as possible to catch the animals at their most active. Go through the "treks" in Africa (gorillas) and Asia (tigers) for close-up views of some awesome animals. Go slow, see everything.

Pizzafari almost always has seats available - there's a ton of rooms.

Don't forget to spend some time enjoying your resort. There's usually some sort of kids activities around the pool, some resorts have more than others. For us, the resort is as much a part of the vacation as the theme parks.

Get the photopass offer and get lots of photos your first trip of your whole family together. Wear 1st Visit buttons - the photographers will take more candid pics. We got lots more of waiting and interacting with characters, for instance, on our kids first trip. Some of those are the best ones.

don't wear jeans

do wear comfortable walking shoes/sneakers-no one cares what you look like

carry some wipes

drink a lot of water

you really do need to claim your spot an hour before the parade

Magic Kingdom - on your way to your afternoon break, stroll down Main Street, visit all the shops and make sure you buy some peanut brittle at the Confectionary. They make it fresh every day and it will run out! Disney wants to fill up all parts of the park, so there's a lot of entertainment there, too. Make sure you see the Dapper Dans and the marching band.

Watch the parades from Frontierland or grab a table at Sleepy Hollow and have funnel cakes while you're waiting. Pull up your stools right to the railing and you'll see the parade clearly and comfortably.

Epcot - go through Innoventions and do it all. There's a ton of fun stuff in there for kids, it's in the air-conditioning and makes it all fun!

Spend an evening in Future World. Everything is open until 9 except Innoventions and a couple of smaller things. It's one of the most beautiful parks at night, with the beautiful colors of Spaceship Earth all around. And usually much less crowded.

DHS - on a non-Fantasmic night, make sure you go into the Animation Building by around 5:00. You'll see more characters in an hour than you would in a week. LOTS of different ones and Sorcerer Mickey too!

Take a drawing class in the Animation Building if your kids are old enough to sit still and try to follow directions. If not, save that for when they're older.

Animal Kingdom - do the Safari as early in the day as possible to catch the animals at their most active. Go through the "treks" in Africa (gorillas) and Asia (tigers) for close-up views of some awesome animals. Go slow, see everything.

Don't forget to spend some time enjoying your resort. There's usually some sort of kids activities around the pool, some resorts have more than others. For us, the resort is as much a part of the vacation as the theme parks.

Get the photopass offer and get lots of photos your first trip of your whole family together. Wear 1st Visit buttons - the photographers will take more candid pics. We got lots more of waiting and interacting with characters, for instance, on our kids first trip. Some of those are the best ones.

These are some awesome tips! Thank you!

Thanks for all of the great tips!

My biggest advice to anyone traveling at all but especially traveling to Disney World is to keep a POSITIVE attitude. For instance, you will often be caught in a torrential downpour-- so put on your poncho (make sure you pack one!) and splash in the puddles!! Make the best of every situation. Yes, the park and the CMs create magic, but most of the magic comes from you.

Are you hot and sweaty and cranky in Epcot? Cool off at the Universe of Energy for 45 minutes of air conditioned fun with Ellen and DECIDE to have a fun time!

Obviously prepare for heat and rain and plan out your days, but most of all be prepared for snags and to make the best of them. Sometimes the most magic moments come of these.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter