What is your lane change technique?

Signal.
Mirrors.
Blind spot.
Move.

Of if you're in Chicago Blind spot, move quickly before the guy just far enough back to squeeze in front of realizes you're coming and speeds up to cut you off.
Yup. Same here in NY. If you signal too early, the driver that you are going to be in front of will speed up to take away the opening. If you see an opening you have to use your cars "body language" to tell other drivers you are changing lanes. The signal is just a formality here.

For me, I put on my signal and then start looking for a gap to move in to.

DH starts looking for a gap. Complains that no one is giving him space. THEN he puts on his signal right before he is changing lanes.

My DH is the same as yours! Drives me nuts! Always complaining that "nobody will let me in!" I always respond with, "maybe if you'd turn your blinker on, they would know you want to get over!"

My DH is the same as yours! Drives me nuts! Always complaining that "nobody will let me in!" I always respond with, "maybe if you'd turn your blinker on, they would know you want to get over!"

Grrr. My husband too. Thinks signalling is a sign of weakness.

I like to simply turn/merge into the lane I'm wanting into, then give the I'm sorry I failed to signal and didn't see you wave.
Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

I look for a space, then turn on my blinker and move over. I do everything I can to avoid rush hour, but if I'm in it for any reason, I'll turn on my blinker and wait for someone to let me in.

My step-father-in-law never signals well except when he notices police around. Let me tell you it's darn difficult to follow him because you never know what he's doing and then suddenly I find myself crossing two lanes of traffic to get off the highway with no notice or it's the "ohh we turning at this intersection?..nope guess not oh wait guess we are" game.

Most places I signal first, then look. In L.A. in light traffic I'll put on my signal before I look because I know I'll be able to get over easily. In heavy traffic I look for a gap first, then signal. The signal and move are almost simultaneous. Putting on a signal and hoping for someone to let you in usually doesn't work very well.

Last edited:
Additional thoughts...
  • when doing a lane change... avoid doing the change at an intersection. Wait until you are through the intersection before doing the change for safety. Pedestrian crossing and/or signal confusion for a turn can make you liable for an accident.
  • One thing I learned in recent years is the value of a dashcam. If the other driver does not signal or changes lane aggressively into a collision. The dashcam shows everything.

For me, I put on my signal and then start looking for a gap to move in to.

DH starts looking for a gap. Complains that no one is giving him space. THEN he puts on his signal right before he is changing lanes.

It depends on the type of traffic...

If traffic is moving along at a normal speed, I look for a gap, signal, and move over.

The ONLY time I personally would put on my signal and THEN look for a gap is when traffic is at a standstill or stop and go traffic.

In So Cal traffic, turning on one's blinker means "I'm merging into your lane now, so you better move out of the way." In the Phoenix area, it means pretty much the same thing. Anywhere else in Arizona, turning on your turn signal means "I'd like to change lanes. I'm willing to wait a bit until a space opens up, but if you could make room for me, I'd really appreciate it."

my driving habits changes based on if its rush hour or not. I do what OP does when there is no traffic and its clear. I do what OP husband do during rush hour cuz you have to be aggressive or you be stuck in the slow lane.

im in SoCal, king of traffic! lol

I generally look for a space, signal, change lanes. If someone tries to speed up, I don't care, once there's a space and I signaled, I move in no matter what. I'm usually faster than the moron trying to cut me off by speeding up. Sometimes, in very heavy traffic, I will turn on the blinker as a polite request that I be let in. I generally let people who are signaling in. That's only polite.

I am going to have to review mine after a close call on Monday. I was driving my Suburban which has huge blind spots and an ambulance was coming at me going the wrong way with the red lights and siren on . Big trucks ahead of me sort of hid it, and then as they parted to allow it through I signaled and went to pull to the right just as a car behind me decided to floor it and try and pass me on the right. He/she had to pull into the driveway of a parking to avoid the rear of my truck. They didn't honk and pulled right back onto the road after the ambulance passed, and didn't seem mad at me, but I suspect if we had collided it would have deemed my fault. I think that may be why the driver of the other car didn't go all road rage on me, because he/she knew that, while what I did might have been wrong, them trying to scoot past was wrong too...but then, MY truck may have blocked THEIR view of the ambulance until after they tried to pass me on the right.

Blinker, turn head, once I can get in or someone allows me in, turn head again and change lanes. If you don't use your blinker first no one realizes but you that you want to change lanes. I don't mind allowing anyone using a blinker in since so many don't bother to even use them anymore. A huge pet peeve of mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter