What is your Hybrid?

lpoeppelman

DIS Veteran
Seasoned diser hoping to camp at WDW in the next year or so - yahoo! We are hoping to be new camper owners this year or early spring 2016. Just got the go-ahead from DH to get one. We love to camp - but have never owned a camper. Just borrowed a pop-up from my sister now and then.

Would like to know if you have a Hybrid and what model - what you like or don't like?

We need sleeping for at least 6 people and will be using a Honda Pilot to tow which is 4500.

Any tips / advice / experiences... really throw me anything - we are new at this and will take it all in.

:yay:

We have a rockwood roo 23ikss and love it! It is very roomy, 2 big slides, and will sleep up to 8...6 comfortably.

We also looked at a similar roo that had 1 slide with 3 pop out beds that was nice and roomy too it weighed a bit less.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 29
Seasoned diser hoping to camp at WDW in the next year or so - yahoo! We are hoping to be new camper owners this year or early spring 2016. Just got the go-ahead from DH to get one. We love to camp - but have never owned a camper. Just borrowed a pop-up from my sister now and then.

Would like to know if you have a Hybrid and what model - what you like or don't like?

We need sleeping for at least 6 people and will be using a Honda Pilot to tow which is 4500.

Any tips / advice / experiences... really throw me anything - we are new at this and will take it all in.

:yay:
Google "RVT" and it will get you to a great place for searching through trailers of all types which you can narrow down pretty specifically to what you want. Usually lots of pics. I loved it when looking for our trailer.

We had an aero light cub 236 for 7 years. It had two real sized queen fold outs..... 1 couch slide and great storage.

There are two primary issues I had with this camper
1) The hybrid beds, folding up and down, It gets old...... If it rains, you have to air out when you get home.
2) Living in the midwest and camping in hot /sunny no shade it have get hot, especially if you have little people that need to nap during the day. I ended you going spaceship!!!! using space blankets over the tent ends to reflect the sun and used the aluminum, bubble wrap, custom cut to fit into the windows.... to 1) push back heat 2) to keep heat in in the winter, while hunting.

I think you will pushing fitting 6 into a 4500lbs camper... our camper was like 5500-5800, pulled with a ford explorer it was at the max limit of the car. Then went to a suburban and it a real joy tow. Check the yellow sticker on the camper and add 700-1000 lbs to get total travel weight. When we upgraded campers, I pulled out all the stuff and measured it, one rubbermade container at a time. Yes I am a dork.

Does your TV have a transmission cooler? When I did a quick search on pilot I am seeing 3500 to 5000. A rule of thumb is your target max weight camper + stuff + people is 90% of the TV capacity.

We loved the hybrid.... The openness of it, airyness, the fact we can get into and prep for camping vs a popup. We camped all 4 season all over and had a great time. Even had just enough space for a pack n play. As our kids grew, fold and unfold the couch and kitchen table became more and more of a hassle.

Feel free to PM me with questions. Also make sure if you buying new, by local. If there are warranty problems and you buy from other dealer outside are, the dont have to work on it. Camper warranties are not like car warranties.. If it used, it doesn't matter where you buy from. Do a good look over, pressure test water , water tank, test AC..

We have a Rockwood Roo 23SS. Love everything about it, but we are right at the towing limit of our Pathfinder that tows 5000 pounds, so I don't think it would work for you.

Look for a model without a slide, they seem to be lighter. I think Rockwood has one with 3 pop-out beds but no slide. Also look into getting a weight distribution hitch and sway control bar.

I started with a jayco x19f and that worked for a while. it had 2 tip out beds and a dinette that could be converted to a bed and a sofa that could be used as a bed. Many times family members would join us and the 19h was a little too tight. we upgraded to a x23f last year and it has been great. the x23f has 3 tip out beds and a slide out dinette(the dinette on the 19h does'nt slide out). I believe the weight of the camper to be about 4500 lbs. my TV is a F350 diesel.

We just bought an older Pioneer Prowler which we are in the process of updating (painting the cabinets and walls, recovering cushions, and putting down peel and stick wood look flooring). Taking it out for our first trip next month and to Ft Wilderness in December.

We are limited as far as the size of camper we can have due to our extremely steep driveway and the hybrid just seems to give us more living space.

Good luck with yours. :-)

I would say, find a new tow vehicle first. Are you transporting all 6 people in the Pilot as well? Your max tow weight is 4500 minus people and cargo in vehicle, so now you are down to about let's say 3800. The smallest Rockwood Roo model is the 17 which the GVWR is 3854 which you will probably come close to and you are now over your tow limit. Plus, Honda doesn't recommend using a WDH which you would probably need.
Always go by the GVWR of the trailer, because you will be closer to towing that weight than the shipping weight that it came from the factory.
We have a 2014 Jayco X23F as well and GVWR is 5995#. I tow mine with a 2013 Yukon XL. The only thing we don't like is that there are no drawers, all cabinets, so silverware is in a little bin.
Good luck on your search and definitely do your homework

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter