• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your favorite RESORT or DTD dinner spot??

2BEKs

Mouseketeer
We're looking for a great dinner spot for our arrival day. We're looking at the Resorts or DTD since we won't be going into the parks.

We have 6 in our party - Grandma, Grandpa, Me, DH, DS7, DD8 - most all of us are adventurous eaters, but Grandpa would like your "basics" of chicken or steak on the menu.

Whats your favorite and why? (fave menu item?)

Thanks!!:surfweb:

Rainforest Cafe would cover your bases I think. Basics on the menu, but also some different stuff, plus the kids would probably love it. T-Rex also may be a good one, again I think the kids would love it, but I havent eaten it yet so can't really comment.

Ragland Road has some excellent food, maybe not any basics though, everything has quite a fancy/unusual twist.

Which hotel are you staying in? I'm guessing you'd want somewhere close to where you're staying?

Hi! Thanks!

Rainforest cafe is everywhere... so that one is not high on our priority list.

Ragland road... hmmm... I will check that out. We all love a good Irish stew, but thinking not so much in Aug. hehehe

We're staying off site near DTD, but have the vast majority of the evening to explore, so really location is not a problem (we have a car).

:)

Well Ragland Road I love, the food was really excellent, not at all what I was expecting. Personally, I dont think you can beat DTD for a first night, to give you that buzz of excitement!!

The only other DTD restaurant I tried was Bongos, which was excellent for atmosphere and being unique, but the food was a tiny bit disappointing. Ragland Road definitely had the lead on food quality.

There's also Planet Hollywood, but like you said with Rainforest Cafe, they are everywhere.... so probably not high on your list.

Quite jealous of you having a car.... we contemplate it every year, but the thought of not being able to have a cold beer puts me right off driving!! (We're english.... so cold beer is a real thrill.... I come to America dreaming of Bud Lite!!!!)

T-Rex is so much better than Rainforest Cafe in my opinion. I wasn't impressed with Rainforest the last few times we went. So when T-Rex opened and my son begged to go, I resisted. In Aug of 09 I decided to try it. The surroundings are so fun. I had the chicken salad sandwich and it was very good. If you go try to get into the ice room. It was so cool. Here is a picture of my son when the Chocolate Extinction desert arrived at our table :)

IMG_0590.jpg

The Ice Room is blue most time but during the Meteor Shower (lights that look like shooting stars flash across the ceiling in the Prehistoric room this happens every 30 or 45 minutes) the ice room changes colors.

IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg

We also love Wolfgang Pucks. My favorite there is the Macadamia Nut Crusted Breast of Chicken. The chicken itself is so moist and the coating is so crunchy. It is served on garlic mashed potatoes and with a cream sauce over it. It is SOOOOO good! :)

Earl of Sandwich is a great counter service place. They have toasted sandwiches, salads and more.

We love Raglan Road!

TRex is also great for kids...and the food was really good when we went there.

Not to diss, T-Rex. It's just so doggone LOUD!! I always have a raging headache after eating there. We're going to skip it and do ESPN instead, pretty much same food and quieter.

DTD- we love Wolfgang Pucks.

Can you get over to the Broadwalk? The Kat Kouzzani (spelling) is getting great reviews and we lots of other choices. We love the Captains Grill right across from the Broadwalk. It's one of the best kept secrets. IMO. excellent crab cakes.

We tend to hit Rainforest Cafe because it has something for everyone and the kids love it, since we don't have one near us.

thanks everyone!

yeah, we've counted out TRex too because I know that the DGPs, DH and I won't be able to stand the noise.. maybe if I get an evening w/ the kiddos alone I'll take them... but probably not.

Captains Grill - will look into that one.

We can really go wherever we want - DTD, Boardwalk, resorts, etc. So just looking for something w. really good food, atmosphere, but is also kid friendly (they are not picky - just don't want people panicking that there are kids there! LOL).

Our MUST DO on our arrival day is Wolfgang Puck Express. Even before we discovered the DDP that was THE place we had to hit first no matter what. Leading up to vacation it is all we think about.

Trex has chicken fried steak to die for and ribs and steak

WGPE has very good food also

Then there are the higher end places in DTD like Fulton Crab House and Portabellos

For resorts I say the three best places for a big family would be Ohana at Poly Whisphering Canyon at WL or Trails End Buffett at FW

Without a doubt, my favorite dining spot is Les Chefs de France. There are two menu items I have a difficult time choosing between.....so we usually end up dining there twice during our visits.

The first is:
Plat de cote de boeuf au cabernet et polenta de Savoie - Beef short ribs braised in Cabernet wine on a bed of polenta.

The second is:
Filet de boeuf grille, sauce au poivre noir Gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts - Grilled tenderloin of beef with black pepper sauce, original potato gratin of Savoy and green beans.

Both are relatively simple dishes to prepare, but they make them taste so wonderful.

Without a doubt, my favorite dining spot is Les Chefs de France. There are two menu items I have a difficult time choosing between.....so we usually end up dining there twice during our visits.

The first is:
Plat de cote de boeuf au cabernet et polenta de Savoie - Beef short ribs braised in Cabernet wine on a bed of polenta.

The second is:
Filet de boeuf grille, sauce au poivre noir Gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts - Grilled tenderloin of beef with black pepper sauce, original potato gratin of Savoy and green beans.

Both are relatively simple dishes to prepare, but they make them taste so wonderful.

thanks, but that is in EPCOT and I specifically am looking for a NON PARK restaurant... :confused:

Grand Floridian:

Citraco's - Great food, great setting & the best service on property
1900 Park Faire for Breakfast (good food) or for dinner (good character interaction.)

Poly:

Kona - Great food that's a bit out of the ordinary and decent service

Contemporary:

The Wave has an interesting take on food and is actually quite good.
California Grill was our favorite restaurant before we went to Citraco's the first time.

Animal Kingdom Lodge:

Jiko - Best steaks on the planet
Boma - Fantastic buffet with the much heralded zebra domes and an interesting and out of the ordinary selection of dishes.

Boardwalk:

Flying Fish is a must do if you like sea food, not to mention that it's surrounded by the entertainment on the boardwalk and the decor is beautiful and fun.

'Ohana, in the Poly is a wonderful restaurant for families. We love the family style service. The meat comes to your on skewers like a Brazilian steak house and includes Turkey, pork, and beef. It also includes sticky wings and dipping sauce, pot stickers, veggies and Asian noodles. The desert is bread pudding with banana's foster/caramel sauce. We LOVE 'Ohana. There is a Hawaiian singer and the kids have shell races. We always have a blast.

My second suggestion would be Boma at AKL. We also love Boma. The food is a bit exotic but there is your standard prime rib and mac and cheese or potatoes on the buffet too. The food is delicious and so is the atmosphere. Get there a little early and enjoy drum lessons for the kids. After dinner, go over to the night observation goggles and observe the animals. If your dinner is before sundown, you can view the animals from the savanna look out area. You can also sit around the fire and listen to African folk stories. This is a great place to dine and to have family fun.

Enjoy! :thumbsup2

If Granpa wants "basic" food- DO NOT TAKE HIM TO KOUZZINA!!!! My dad is a cheeseburger kind of guy and after spending 4 nights on DCL he wanted something really basic and not "fou fou food". We wanted to try Kouzzina since we are big Cat Cora fans. My dad couldn't find anything on the menu that wasn't "fou fou" and was very disappointed. He later had a cheeseburger at Hurricane Hatties when we got back to BC.

We're looking for a great dinner spot for our arrival day. We're looking at the Resorts or DTD since we won't be going into the parks.

We have 6 in our party - Grandma, Grandpa, Me, DH, DS7, DD8 - most all of us are adventurous eaters, but Grandpa would like your "basics" of chicken or steak on the menu.

Whats your favorite and why? (fave menu item?)

Thanks!!:surfweb:

Have I got the answer you're looking for. I have 2actually. But by far I would choose Gloria estefans ----->Bongos restaurant. DTD. Especially for the 1st nite to kick off the vacation.
This is true authentic Cuban/Spanish food. Perfect blend of food ambience & service and a live band . If it's nice out that nightel make sure u request sitting outside. Its perfect.

My next one would be the Fulton crab house. Awesome seafood great service there as well and sit close to a window if possible.
Good luck w/ your Choice. Remember it's Disney there's nuttin bad about Disney. LOL.

Well Ragland Road I love, the food was really excellent, not at all what I was expecting. Personally, I dont think you can beat DTD for a first night, to give you that buzz of excitement!!

The only other DTD restaurant I tried was Bongos, which was excellent for atmosphere and being unique, but the food was a tiny bit disappointing. Ragland Road definitely had the lead on food quality.

There's also Planet Hollywood, but like you said with Rainforest Cafe, they are everywhere.... so probably not high on your list.

Quite jealous of you having a car.... we contemplate it every year, but the thought of not being able to have a cold beer puts me right off driving!! (We're english.... so cold beer is a real thrill.... I come to America dreaming of Bud Lite!!!!)

Dreaming of Bud Lite? LOL. That's. Weird cause I'm craving a nice tall ice cold Bass Ale. Hehheh.

My second suggestion would be Boma at AKL. We also love Boma. The food is a bit exotic but there is your standard prime rib and mac and cheese or potatoes on the buffet too. The food is delicious and so is the atmosphere. Get there a little early and enjoy drum lessons for the kids. After dinner, go over to the night observation goggles and observe the animals. If your dinner is before sundown, you can view the animals from the savanna look out area. You can also sit around the fire and listen to African folk stories. This is a great place to dine and to have family fun.

Enjoy! :thumbsup2

That is exactly what I was thinking. It's unique, there is something for everyone and you can enjoy the resort which, IMHO, really is one of a kind.

so you've convinced me to try BOMA - -

would you do it:

1) on arrival day after a day touring Kennedy Space Center

OR

2) after our AK day in August? This to me seems to be a no brainer, but I just don't know if we'll want a full sit down meal after being outside touring all day. AK closes at 7pm that day, so we were planning a short (2 hour) break mid day...

maybe BOMA for lunch instead??? that will get us out of the heat, into AC for a good while without actually trekking allllll the way back to our hotel (off site, near DTD).

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

thoughts??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter