• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what is your favorite DVC WDW property, and why?

KelseyLaPerle

Mouseketeer
We have typically stayed at a value resort, last year stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness (which we loved except for the transportation) and are looking to use DVC for a June/July 2012 stay. This will be a large family trip - one family of 4 (2 adults, kids 4 and 7) along with 5 other adults. We are looking for space for each "couple", but also something mostly kid-friendly and with super great transportation and dining options. I would love to hear about your favorites. Thanks!

BCV and BWV

Love the proximity to Epcot and MGM.

Also the pool at BCV and the entertainment & restaurants at the boardwalk.

We have typically stayed at a value resort, last year stayed in a cabin at Fort Wilderness (which we loved except for the transportation) and are looking to use DVC for a June/July 2012 stay. This will be a large family trip - one family of 4 (2 adults, kids 4 and 7) along with 5 other adults. We are looking for space for each "couple", but also something mostly kid-friendly and with super great transportation and dining options. I would love to hear about your favorites. Thanks!

My favorite is OKW, but I don't think it will meet the needs you've mentioned. We've stayed there, and at BWV (least favorite), VWL, SSR, and Kidani (and several of the other non-DVC resorts). I like OKW for the space in the units, the size of the balconies, the views, the full-size washer and dryer, the laid-back atmosphere (the place can be fully booked and it's still relaxing), and because you can park right outside your door. I like Olivia's alot. We've never had a problem with the transportation. You can ride the boat to DTD. And it's simply just very pretty.

Although my favorite resort is Kidani, we have done large groups at OKW, SSR and BCV (my home resort).

If you are looking for something that makes it easy to have everyone go their separate ways but meet up a few times during the day or for a meal, I found that BCV was the easiest. On our last grand gathering there, we did 5 separate villas. BCV is small enough to make it easy to connect even if the rooms are not close to one another. Additionally, there are just so many dining options in the area.

OKW:
can not beat the size of the rooms.
the boat ride to DTD is very relaxing.
the whole resort is relaxing (think Jimmy Buffet laid back style)

BCV or BWV, the largest selection of dining options within walking distance of any resort without including Epcot.
Both have good pools, (SAB at the Beach Club some consider the best pool on property), and both are within walking distance to two parks, Epcot and DHS

We are looking for space for each "couple", but also something mostly kid-friendly and with super great transportation and dining options.

I think all WDW resorts are very kid-friendly. And DVC resorts are by their nature geared towards families. So I wouldn't worry about that requirement.

As for "super great transportation", every resort has its transportation issues from time to time. For instance, while BWV & BCV are great if you are going to Epcot or DHS, the bus service there is sometimes lacking and overcrowded.

I guess the question is...what was bad about the Fort Wilderness transportation? I wouldn't know why FW would have worse bus transportation than any other resort?

My only recommendation is to get going pretty quickly on this if you want to have your choice of resort. While the summer months are not crazy-crowded for DVC resorts, there can be some availability issues for specific view types, etc and you are already within the 11 month home resort booking window.

For sure, you will want to have your choice nailed down by the 7 month window in November.

Good luck! :)

Our favorite is Old Key West. Not only are the units the largest (by far) of all the DVC resorts, but they have one of the best pool slides second only to Storm Along Bay.

Transportation from OKW is EXCELLENT! We find it to be one of the easiest and quickest to all parks with the possible exception of Animal Kingdom. The AK bus from OKW stops at Blizzard Beach, so that makes that run a bit longer.

You say you will have 7 adults and 2 children. Since one of the kids will be young enough for the pack N Play, your sleeping arrangements in an OKW 2 bedroom would be 1 king bed in the master, 1 queen sleep sofa in the living room plus 1 twin sized sleeper chair and 2 queen sized beds in the second bedroom. The only drawback for your group with OKW is that anyone sleeping in the living room will need to use the master bath. For that reason, if you stay there, you will want to request buildings 30 or higher to make sure you have an extra door that goes into the toilet/shower part of the bathroom without accessing the master bedroom.

Of course, ideal would be a 3 bedroom grand villa with 1 master with king bed, 1 bedroom with 2 queen beds, 1 bedroom with 2 full size beds, PLUS the queen sleep sofa and twin sleeper chair in the living room. The GV also has 4 full bathrooms.

Boardwalk Villas for us because it offers the shortest walks to the convention spaces at Swan, Dolphin and Yacht Club hotels.

I guess the question is...what was bad about the Fort Wilderness transportation? I wouldn't know why FW would have worse bus transportation than any other resort?

We LOVED the cabin itself, but did not like that we had to drive our golf cart to the marina every time we wanted to go to MK and to the bus stop to get to other parks (not to mention how much we would have not liked it if we had not had the luxury of renting our own golf cart). Since our kids will be a bit older for our next trip, I suppose I shouldn't worry so much about transportation. But for us, proximity to buses/boats/monorail is a huge factor in which resort we will choose.

Thanks so much, everyone, for all of your responses. They have helped me out tremendously as we have never stayed through a timeshare before.

We LOVED the cabin itself, but did not like that we had to drive our golf cart to the marina every time we wanted to go to MK and to the bus stop to get to other parks (not to mention how much we would have not liked it if we had not had the luxury of renting our own golf cart). Since our kids will be a bit older for our next trip, I suppose I shouldn't worry so much about transportation. But for us, proximity to buses/boats/monorail is a huge factor in which resort we will choose.

Ah...then you don't have to worry about any DVC resort. All of them have convenient bus stops or docks for boats to parks. And BLT has the monorail of course. I can see where the Fort Wilderness situation was not very convenient.

I really do think any of the DVC resorts would work for you. Each has its charms and benefits. Good luck! :)

BCV or BWV is in the best location for walking to Epcot and either a walk or boat ride to DHS, busses to the other parks. There is plenty of choices of food/dining options at YC or BC and along the Boardwalk. At the BCV you can use Storm Along Bay pool which is a very large fun pool considered by many to be the best in WDW.

Mine has to be BLT. Mainly for the closeness to MK and for the monorail. Makes dining at monorail resorts super easy. Also nice for the boat ride to Wilderness Lodge.

Thanks so much, everyone, for all of your responses. They have helped me out tremendously as we have never stayed through a timeshare before.

We used to go to FW all the time, loved it. So we bought at VWL because it has a similar 'woodsy' feel to it. VWL is in a great location, can even take the boat over to FW for the campfire, has fun pool for little kids, and a great, relaxing atmosphere. Only thing is they don't have any Grand Villas, so you would have to get a couple of rooms for your group. But we love it for it's location and ambience, so that gets my vote :thumbsup2.

Our favorite resort is BWV. It's a classy but fun resort. We love the excitement of the Boardwalk and the ability to walk to EPCOT whenever we feel like it. If they would just do something about sharing the buses it would be perfect.

We used to go to FW all the time, loved it. So we bought at VWL because it has a similar 'woodsy' feel to it. VWL is in a great location, can even take the boat over to FW for the campfire, has fun pool for little kids, and a great, relaxing atmosphere. Only thing is they don't have any Grand Villas, so you would have to get a couple of rooms for your group. But we love it for it's location and ambience, so that gets my vote :thumbsup2.

I agree. VWL is definitely up there on the list for me. That "woodsy" feeling, ambiance, music! Love the close proximity to MK. Love the counter service. Love Artist Point. Love the themed pool. So much to love over there! With small children, if you'll be frequenting MK, VWL is great. I also loved watching EWP from the beach at WL. Man, I'm selling myself on VWL! May have to switch from my beloved Jambo house for our next trip!

we've done 2 2bedrooms at SSR in the past and this year we were in the Treehouse Villas. We had our "adult space" in both..

How could you possibly choose? I think Villas at Grand Cal are my favorite, but AKV (for its beauty and peacefulness) and BCV (for its lobby and location) are soooo close. I suspect VWL would be up there, too; however, we haven't had the opportunity to stay there yet (YET!). I love Peter Dominick's designs. Great architect.

I agree. VWL is definitely up there on the list for me. That "woodsy" feeling, ambiance, music! Love the close proximity to MK. Love the counter service. Love Artist Point. Love the themed pool. So much to love over there! With small children, if you'll be frequenting MK, VWL is great. I also loved watching EWP from the beach at WL. Man, I'm selling myself on VWL! May have to switch from my beloved Jambo house for our next trip!

I also agree! We love feeling secluded and in nature while being just a boat ride away from practically everything. Also my kids love the pool parties in the afternoons and the water parade at night.

I have to put in a vote for AKV - Kidani. The kids would love the savanna view and there is a fun play area at the pool for kids. Additionally, with the number of adults you have traveling with you, you will cherish the third full bathroom in the 2 BR suite. BLT is the only other resort with 3 bathrooms in the 2 BR. The Kidani (and BLT) 2BR will sleep 9, although the second BR has 2 queen beds, so the inhabitants of that room will have to be comfortable sleeping together. The living room has a sleeper sofa and sleeper chair and the master has a King.

The buses from Kidani are great. All park buses stop at Kidani first (usually empty) and then go to Jambo. There is no quick service option at Kidani, but you can walk or take a bus to Jambo to use Mara.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter