What is your favorite cruise the Eastern or Western??

GoofyFD

DIS Veteran
We are back from our 2nd Halloween land and sea vacation. We want to know which Caribbean cruise to take next? We want to do a 7-night cruise this time. What is your favorite cruise the Eastern or Western:firefight

I like the Eastern simply because of the extra day at sea.

Having been through the Carribean as much as I have, through multiple cruises & lots of port calls while in the Navy, the islands all seem to start to run together after a while.......

I have sailed four times on the Magic - all Eastern but hope to do the Western next December. I do like the sea days......

Our first cruise we did the eastern because of the extra day at sea. We are doing the western this coming January. But either one would be great just to be on the "Mickey Boat" as my DD's call it.

On the Eastern the ports, the extra day at sea, and the overall pace is just much more relaxing and enjoyable!

The western is also a great cruise, but the only port that we really loved was Grand Cayman, and now after this past hurricane season I would avoid visiting GC for a few months to give them more time to recover!

Sheesh guys, I'm doing the Western for the first time in 23 days. Now you have me scared!! :confused: Oh well, we have done the eastern twice now, so different is good. I will miss the day at sea, b/c I'm not a big island guy. Heck, I could do a Disney cruise that is all sea days and maybe TWO at CC though!!:teeth:

OK - here is an opposing viewpoint <g>!

We just did the DCL Western on Oct 23rd. We thoroughly enjoyed it and re-booked the Oct 22nd WESTERN for next year. A number of years ago we sailed Eastern, Western and Southern on another cruise line, so I have been to most of the Eastern islands (except St. Martin). We love the Western for the great snorkeling! I also do not have any interest in shopping, so that lack on the Western doesn't bother me.

On our next cruise, we plan to stay on board at Key West (or only get off for an hour or two and stay well away from the tourist traps!) so I tend to look at that day like a sea day.

Even with our changed itinerary (GC wasn't available), we still loved our cruise. We made our own arrangements at Costa Maya and had a great time visiting the ruins. At Cozumel we arranged our own snorkel excursion which was FANTASTIC. We visited a couple low-key things at Key West (a garden and the cemetary).

When we visited GC about 12 years ago, we loved it and the snorkeling there was also great. Hopefully, we will have a chance to snorkel there again next year.

One other thought - if you are going outside of the summer season - the water at the Western ports is a little warmer since you are further south. If all you are looking for is a nice beach - you can find that on most islands if you try.

Pamela

Western. We loved Grand Cayman and Cozumel. However we didn't like Key West.

I really want to put in a major plug here for Key West! I've read other threads that are not favorable toward Key West and I just don't get it. As for the "seedy" side of Key West, its easy to avoid, just like it is in the city you live in or near. Having done and thoroughly enjoyed both the Eastern and Western, my favorite port was Key West. It has it all ... beauty, beaches, easy to get around at reasonable cost, interesting historic sites, neat factories and shopping, and the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square is just knockout!

We've done both and enjoyed both Eastern and Western.

For a first 7 day cruise I would choose the Eastern. The extra day at sea is nice and St. Thomas to me has always been "the" Caribbean port. Don't get me wrong all the ports are great but back when I started cruising (back in the 70's) you always went to St. Thomas on a Caribbean cruise so it just seems like the thing to do.

Those going on the Western you'll have a great time. Do the stingrays at Grand Cayman - an awesome experience!

I am sorry. However, I think that everybody have a right to express his feelings.

If you like Key West it is fine with me. However for me I find this place dirty and not nice at all. That is my opinion but you don't have to agree with me.

i would say the western because i loved GC and Cozumel and Key West, i enjoyed going to all the Hard Rock Cafes at all the ports of call and eating there and getting a T-Shirt from each one. I went in July and the weather was excellent, couldnt get any better. My family and I met other DISers on the cruise and had a fun time. So my vote is for the Western, nothing beats swimming with sting rays at GC ::yes:: :D

I asked this same question a while ago.....those who really enjoyed water sports or activities really love the Western, those who enjoy shopping love the Eastern. We did back to backs this fall, and although the Western was shortend due to Jeanne, and the Eastern was a special intinerary, we loved things about both of them.....but I preferred the Eastern. There was amazing diving in St Thomas, Antigua is beautiful and liquor is CHEAP in St Thomas! (About 1/2 the price of the states...just make sure to save room in your bags for it if you plan on buying there!)

The western, from what we saw in Cozumel and Costa Maya is much more (no flames here please!) third world and depressing....but we LOVED our excursion in Cozumel. That being said, we didn't dislike the Western enough not to book it for the 2006 season....the 2 stops at CC hooked me in!

Maybe try to book a special itinerary cruise....it gives you some additional options!

Ah, so this is why they make chocolate and vanilla both.

Somewhat splitting a very fine hair here if you like to cruise. But we liked the Western best for exactly the opposite reasons some have noted as liking the Eastern best. ie the extra back-to-back day at sea, would rather be at a port. We did not like St. Marteen at all, but loved St. Thomas and the excursion to St. John. Wasn't wild about KW but thrilled we went there at least once in this life. Loved GC and got a kick out of seeing the crew's exitement about their time at Cozumel.

I think you'll love either, just maybe prefer one over the other. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter