What is your favorite chicken recipe?

100AcreWood

DIS Veteran
I'm so bored with my recipes. I would love suggestions for new chicken recipes!

I decided for February I would have an "eat out of the pantry" month. I inventoried my freezer this morning and wow do I have a lot of frozen chicken. I'm planning to only buy perishables (veggies, fruit, milk, cheese) in February and hopefully I'll save $$ on my grocery budget!

More money for Disney right? :banana:

Whole chickens can be put in the crockpot with a sliced onion. Season it with whatever spices you wish, layer the onions on the bottom of the crockpot and cook on low for about 6 hours. You can use the chicken for eating, straight from the crockpot or shred it for bbq or chicken tacos.

I also take boneless, skinless breasts, pound them so they are the same thickness all over. I dip them in an egg batter (made from a few eggs and some milk), then a mixture of parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. I bake them at 425 until they are done. They turn out so moist this way.

Good luck...I get sick of chicken pretty easily, so I will be following this thread.

I do the same thng, but with cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs. Also, sometimes I bake it barbecue sauce or maple syrup with some dried onion...my kids favorite is cranberry chicken...mix 1 can jellied cranberry sauce,1 envelope onion soup mix(dried or reg. onion would also prob. work), half cup chili sauce, a splash of red wine vinegar...bake or crock pot. I got that recipe from someone over on the "eat at home" topic...and it has been a hit!:thumbsup2........Also,use leftover chicken for quesadillas, soup, or chicken salad

We eat a lot of chicken too. My new favorite is:

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili

1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce (used a 16 oz can)
10 oz package frozen corn kernels (used 2 small cans of corn kernels)
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (Rotel)
1 packet taco seasoning (I make my own)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
24 0z. (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts
chili peppers, chopped (optional)
chopped fresh cilantro

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream.

One of my family's favorites is to freeze chicken pieces in teriyaki marinade. You then thaw, dump into a dish and bake. Freezing in the marinade really flavors the chicken and my kids love it.

We eat a lot of chicken too. My new favorite is:

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili

1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce (used a 16 oz can)
10 oz package frozen corn kernels (used 2 small cans of corn kernels)
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (Rotel)
1 packet taco seasoning (I make my own)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
24 0z. (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts
chili peppers, chopped (optional)
chopped fresh cilantro

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream.

This sounds awesome! Love a new way to serve black beans.
Can you please post your taco seasoning recipe?

6 to 12 chicken breasts or Thighs (bonless/skinless) either as is or you can brown them first, layered in crockpot with your favorite salsa.

I puree my salsa first because I like the texture better but you can use chunky if you like.

Make sure you have enough salsa to cover the chicken.

Put on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-5). Basically until it tender and falling apart.

Server whole over rice or shred for taco/sandwiches.

Yummy, low fat and cheap.

We like chicken enchiladas. I usually take leftover rotisserie chicken, shred it and add I think it's half a can of enchilada sauce and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix and put in a tortilla. Roll it up. Repeat. Place in a pan. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over them and sprinkle more cheddar cheese. Good and quick.

(The recipe is on the can.)

Oh, we like chicken pot pie too. I usually use two pie shells, shredded leftover chicken, veggies, and gravy. Pop it in the oven at 350 for about 40 min..

I like Balsamic Chicken. I got the recipe here, but it's not really an exact thing.

chicken breasts
a can of tomatoes
balsamic vinegar (maybe 1/3 cup? I don't measure)
olive oil (a few tablespoons?)
garlic
oregano
salt and pepper

bake until chicken is done. You can add some cheese to melt at the end if you want. I serve it over noodles.

My other favorite way to cook chicken is to oven fry. Spray PAM in the pan, rinse and coat the chicken in any combo of bisquik, bread crumbs, crushed cereal etc. with whatever spices you like and maybe some parmesan cheese. Spray top with PAM and bake. If I'm using boneless chicken breasts, I rub them with a little mayo before coating.

I like to flour the chicken then brown it in a little oil. Mix 1-2 cans cream of chicken with 1/2-1 can of milk. Pour over the chicken and bake at 350 for an hour or so. Yummy!

I do the same thng, but with cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs. Also, sometimes I bake it barbecue sauce or maple syrup with some dried onion...my kids favorite is cranberry chicken...mix 1 can jellied cranberry sauce,1 envelope onion soup mix(dried or reg. onion would also prob. work), half cup chili sauce, a splash of red wine vinegar...bake or crock pot. I got that recipe from someone over on the "eat at home" topic...and it has been a hit!:thumbsup2........Also,use leftover chicken for quesadillas, soup, or chicken salad

I'm definitely trying this because I have half a jar of chili sauce and a can of cranberry sauce that I was also trying to figure out what to do with!

You can take any kind of cooked chicken and cut it up into small pieces and use it to make lettuce wraps. Take a romaine lettuce leaf (break in half or thirds if they're too big), put a few pieces of chicken, a spoonful of rice and a dollop of your choice of sauce or dressing into the middle of the leaf, roll up and eat. My DH is Korean and we put out a bowl of chicken pieces, a bowl of rice and a big pile of lettuce leaves on the table and the boys have a blast making their own wraps. A bit messy but fun. We use a Korean hot sauce but you can either dip them in salad dressing, salsa, honey mustard, whatever strikes your fancy or put the sauce right inside the wrap.

You can also take thawed chicken breasts or boneless thighs, pound them flat and put a heaping spoonful of broccoli with cheese sauce (prepare a frozen pkg) in the middle of it. Wrap it up (use a toothpick to hold closed if needed - mine never stay closed on their own), dunk it in a beaten egg and then in your choice of coating (bread crumbs, crushed cereal, etc.) and bake till done.

Along the same lines, pounded chicken is also good layered with proscuitto and cheese, wrapped up and baked as above. I serve it with tomato sauce for dipping. The boys are big into dipping... :thumbsup2

ETA - Forgot one of my favorites that my Mom used to make for us. Warning - it's not exactly healthy... :-) Take chicken breasts or boneless thighs, slather with mayo (the real stuff, low fat doesn't work right), coat with crushed Total cereal (Mom always used Total cause you know it's got vitamins and such... lol... and it has a distinctive flavor that tastes right to me but you can probably use any coating) and bake till done. Comes out very juicy and the coating gets a bit gooey and oh so yummy on the bottom. Good thing I have growing boys that put all those calories to good use...

Last one - I promise! :lmao:

Chicken pot pie
Shred a rotisserie chicken
Mix chicken in a bowl with a can of cream of chicken soup, a bag of frozen veggies (already cooked, whatever mix you like best - I use a corn/green bean mix) and salt and pepper to taste
Dump into frozen pie shell, use other half of pie shell to cover top
Bake till done (that's so helpful, isn't it... considering everything is already cooked it ends up being around 30-40 minutes at 350 - basically until the crust is done - I do a lot of "creative cooking" so I'm not good at explaining specifics).

This also makes a good dish to give someone when they need an easy meal (new parents, etc.). Make a few and keep them in the freezer for a last minute dinner.

I made this last night and it was quick and easy:

1/2 carton of the herb Philly cooking sauce,
2 chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces and cooked
cooked pasta of your choice

Mix everything together and serve. It was very easy and tasted wonderful. Next time I will add some vegetables. There are also only 2 of us, so this made enough for 2 meals. You can adjust it for a larger family.

This is my absolute favorite chicken recipe.

Grilled chicken parmigiana. You can tweek the recipe however you want but IMO the fire roasted toms and smoked mozzarella make the dish.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/grilled-chicken-cutlet-parmigiana-recipe/index.html

I do a chicken cacciatore in the crockpot and serve it over rice. I just used whatever canned tomatoes I have in the pantry (diced, sauce, or crushed), blend with italian seasoning, and then add crushed garlic.
In the crockpot I put chicken, 1 medium onion chopped, 1 green pepper chopped and mushrooms. Pour the sauce over it and cook 4-5 hours on low. (check yours to see it if it is done, my crockpot must run hot because if I cook chicken on low for 8 or more hours it is way overcooked.)

Another is plain old chicken quesadillas. I use McCormick roasted garlic and herb seasoning and grill chicken. Then I slice it and add it to whatever else I'm putting in the quesadilla.

The Barefoot Contessa's "lemon chicken with croutons" is fabulous!! I could make a meal on the croutons alone!!

I like the easy recipe which layers chicken pieces (your choice 2 1/2- 3#) over 1 cup uncooked rice and top it with a can of cream of chicken soup and 1 cup sour cream....cover with foil and bake for an hour or until chicken is done and rice cooked thru.:hippie:

Here's my current favorite easy Chicken in Crock Pot:
1.5lbs chicken
1 jar sauce
1 green pepper cut in slices
1 small onion cut in slices
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp black pepper (or to taste)

Put chicken in crockpot, All ingredients on top.
Cook low 6-8 hours, High 4-5 hours
Serve over egg noodles!

Wicked Chicken

1 1/2 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cooked & chunked
1 box prepared stuffing mix
1 box frozen peas, thawed
2 small cans of mushrooms, drained
1 can cream of chicken soup
2/3 soup can of milk

Grease a 2 qt casserole dish. Layer in enough dry stuffing mix to cover the bottom. Layer in peas, mushrooms and chicken. Mix the soup and milk and then pour over the top. Mix the remaining stuffing mix according to the directions and layer on top. Cook at 350 for about 30 min.

I've made this using different vegetables and different cream soups (cream of mushroom or cream of celery) and it always comes out good. I've also used left over turkey and stuffing from Thanksgiving.

Chicken cutlets/ Process Rice Chex cereal put in a bowl like bread crumbs pinck salt, pepper, garlic.

I like to coat the cutlets with either veg oil or melted butter and coat with ground rice checks.

Drissle butter and bake for 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees check to see if done

I use this with pork chops at 425 for 30-40 minutes 3/4" to 1" thick.

Kids love it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter