• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your dorm budget??

StitchBuddy

DIS Veteran
DD18 is going off to college in the fall. So it is time to start buying all the dorm neccessities. How much do you think is a fair amount to budget for this? She needs everything, bedding, mini fridge, small microwave, etc...

I think when all was said and done, we spent around $500. We had already bought many things throughout the year. She had worked on lots of pintrest things too.

We spent a few hundred $ (probably $350 or less). DD's school supplies a micro/fridge combo in each room. I bought a couple sets of sheets,a new mattress pad and a memory foam topper. she brought blankets, a comforter and pillows that were already in her room. I bought towels, washcloths and face towels. I bought a new desk lamp and a kallax shelf unit from Ikea and some command hooks and the sticky stuff for hanging posters. She bought some new posters. Most everything else she brought was things we already had at home. Beyond that, we didn't really buy anything for her room.

This year, I don't anticipate buying anything new.

I highly recommend not buying very much. Most dorm rooms are small, and it's a good idea to try to coordinate with the roommate so the room doesn't have a lot of duplication. You can always move her in and then see what else you need and make a run to the store on move in day or a week later. You really do need a lot less than you think.

Check with the school about the microwave and fridge. Some only allow you to rent through the school.

DD was in an apartment style dorm, 4 bedrooms/2 baths with a full kitchen in their unit so she needed more than stuff for just her room. We still kept is at ~$500.

Check with the school about the microwave and fridge. Some only allow you to rent through the school.
We ran into that with one college both my kids looked at. The wiring in the dorm could not handle both a microwave and a fridge running at the same time, so they rented students microwave-fridge combos.....it automatically shuts off power to one when the other is running. Your college should provide a list of what they suggest and any rules you need to follow.

I contacted my roommate first (when I found out who she was) to take inventory and see what each of us was bringing. Our dorms rooms were small, and we didn't want two of everything! We each ended up spending about $150 (this was the early 90s) and shared for the year. At the end of the year, we each took our stuff and moved along!

I also have an 18 year old dd heading to University in the fall. We've been picking up things here and there for awhile now. We have her comforter/pillow sham set, 2 sheet sets, shower caddy, towel set (need another), the 3M sticky things for hanging pictures (all they are allowed to use on the walls), and some toiletries type things from Costco.
We still have quite a list. One thing for certain is the mattress topper. We took a tour last weekend and the mattresses were thin and awful. The guide even said to bring a topper or risk ruining your back.
At dd's school fridges are allowed and have to be energy star rated but you can bring your own and it can be used. I know for my younger siblings some of their schools said that the fridge had to be new in box or rented from the school. A kettle with an automatic shut off is allowed. There is NO other appliances allowed. All dorms have a lounge/kitchen area where their are ovens and microwaves etc...you can't have anything like that in your room.
Here are the items still on her list...

-Laundry bag/Hamper
-Hanging Shoe Organizer
-Surge Protector/Power Bar
-Another towel set
-Pillows
-Hangers
-Desk Lamp
-Memory Foam Mattress Pad
-Plastic Shoe/Boot Mat (for wet winter boots)
-Posters
-Printer
-Laptop (Grad Gift)

I'm sure there will be more but that's what we have for now. Not counting the Laptop/Printer which will be mostly covered as a grad gift, I expect we will come in around 350? But we've been shopping sales and someone gave us the mini fridge.

Last edited:

One thing for certain is the mattress topper. We took a tour last weekend and the mattresses were thin and awful. The guide even said to bring a topper or risk ruining your back.

YES! DD has back issues so I ended up buying the best one Bed Bath and Beyond had. It was around $100 but she said it was so worth it. She's used it for 3 years and it's still good.

First of all....COMMAND ADHESIVES AND HOOKS AND VELCRO.... BEST THING EVER!! Stock up!!

If you are local enough to bring her/him something if it is really needed (or don't mind having something shipped Amazon), start with LESS and work your way up. I felt like my DD started with really the basics..... bedding (quilt handmade by grammy and coordinating sham bought on clearance at BB&B, one set of really soft sheets and one set of cheaper sheets for back-up, blanket and pillows from home, new mattress cover), towels (few sets in basic white from BB&B.... white so that they can be bleached if needed/wanted and some beach towels from home... she was a competitive swimmer), just a few pictures for the wall, a small storage cube for the extra bedding or whatever (USES IT EVERY DAY!), a tall narrow bookshelf for books and to act as a night table, a bedside lamp/Ipod charger combo (she didn't have an Iphone at this point), alarm clock/radio and iron/portable ironing board, wall/dresser mirror, fan (THANK HEAVENS!), some over-the-door hooks for damp towels and robes, over the door shoe holder and a desk lamp. We did buy her a fridge a few weeks later (she was in a single so no roommate to share with).

As time went on she requested/needed a bulletin board, a vacuum cleaner, a printer, a louder alarm clock (she is a deep sleeper), a chair (she had one of those collapsible comfy chairs at home so no need to buy), a plastic drawer unit for under the bed, a humidifier (for the dry winter months).

This year we added to that list a printer stand, small lighted make-up mirror, and a desk-top bookcase/organizer.

FWIW, she hasn't, in 2 years, needed to open the back-up sheet set.... but she keeps it there just in case. Since it is still packaged, it takes up very little space. And the 6 sets of towels was a few too many when she was swimming and is waaaaaay too many now that she isn't swimming.

Storage cube was the surprising stand-out star..... bought on a whim and she uses it to climb into her bed (high, but not top bunk high), store her extra sheets and fleece blanket, and a few other odds and ends as needed. Plus it is an extra seat when friends come in to visit!

I remembered my dorm providing a vacuum when I went to school, but no so where my DD is going, so the vacuum (just a stick vacuum bought second hand for $10) has been a blessing, both for DD and for her suitemates!

Mattress topper... not needed at DD's school, but I wouldn't have hesitated to buy one if it was needed.... but glad we waited on that decision!

Bed risers (that hold the bed a bit higher)..... didn't need the first year..... bought a set at the thrift store and tried them this year, but they hold the bed away from the wall/corner too much (every inch of floor space is precious in a single!) and just weren't really needed. I will save them for DS however, just in case.

This year Santa also brought a single cup coffee maker (NOT a Keurig.... too much plastic waste with those) and it was much loved!

Anyhow.... like I said, start with less and work your way up if that is at all possible.

I have DS going away in one year :( and I've already started buying him a few things when the college stuff goes on clearance. I bought a lovely super-soft set of sheets (grey.... they won't show the dirt and grunge!), a hamper.... just a few basics. Probably pick up the towels this fall.... probably grey or black. My Mom will be making him a quilt as well... probably denim and black. And by that time his sister will be in an apartment and he will inherit the dorm fridge and a few other things.

Best of luck to your students!.........P

Very important to be realistic with your kids. If they are never going to iron, and iron only wastes space and money.

Don't be afraid to second hand shop.

If they don't have a bathroom en suite (and older dorms often don't) something to carry shower necessities in. What that is depends on how intensive the shower experience is for your kid (one kid might be able to haul her towel and a bottle of shampoo/body wash in her hands, the next might require seven bottles of stuff, a razor, two washclothes, two towels, etc. and need a small cart :))

Don't forget that you'll need a broom and some basic cleaning supplies also.

It's been awhile but I think it was around $500

Microwave
Small frig
2 sets of sheets
Comforter set
Foam mattress and cover
Pillows
Waste can
Shower caddy
Bulletin board
Dry erase board for door
Lots of command hooks
Hangers
Extra storage containers
Desk lamp and desk set
Lots of paper plates, bowls, cups etc for microwave

Love this thread ! My daughter is going off this fall too. Her college offers a pack for $200. It has new comforter, 2 flat sheets, 2 fitted, thermal blanket, fleece, hamper, pillows, towels, washcloth, underbed storage, mattress cover and mattress pad. It seems like a decent deal. I think there was other stuff too. She is bringing flip flops for the shower .

We have to wait to see what dorm she gets to see if she needs an ac unit. I know we can rent fridge. We have a flat screen she can take.

I would love to keep hearing all good ideas!!

Thank you for the lists! DD is a long flight away so we will need to purchase when we get there and/or ask family/friends up there for second hand items.

Don't forget a lockable chest for her personal items and important paperwork. Also good to keep electronic items in. I had one in college that I kept under my bed.

First thing to do is find the Housing site page for your college. Find the list of what is restricted from the dorms and what is suggested. Then, if your DD has already found out who her roommate is, they should work together to decide who brings what.

At my son's school the fridge/micro combination were provided in their room.
At my DDs school they had to bring their own or rent. They divided up who bought what.

Also, some girls like to have their rooms look coordinated.....another thing to work out with roommate.

This won't help for now, but in the future, it's great to keep in mind~ at the end of the college year, during move out time, many kids get rid of a lot of things they don't want. Many colleges do a collection, sometimes organized, sometimes not. They encourage students to go through it, take what they want, and the rest gets either thrown away (if not in usable condition), or donated. When we moved my son out this year, I can't tell you how many futons, microwaves, lamps, plastic storage bins, etc. were piled high, and that was in just his dorm. If we had room in our car, I would have taken more. (Who says boys don't bring a lot :rolleyes: lol). I grabbed a few Rubbermaid storage containers in perfect condition.

Setting a budget for the initial college move in is hard. I think it depends a lot on what you are including in on that budget.
My DS will be a junior in college next year, and I learned from him being my first, to buy as I go for DD going to college in the fall. (Especially with being a girl, they absolutely just have more stuff. :flower:) Even with couponing, shopping sales and buying dorm items on clearance from last season, I've still surpassed $500 already for DD and still have a pretty long list to get. (Mostly food pantry/toiletries items/pharmacy supplies, etc.) It was nice that DS has some things he did not use that he's passing on to DD that she does want.

I admire anyone who can do it under $500! I think it's a great idea to bring as much from home without repurchasing items for duplicates away at school. Included in that budget though were things like hair dryer, curling iron, straightener, etc. that my two DDs and I share, so I will not let DD bring them to college. She got those things for Christmas, but I'm still adding it into the budget, so I know how much we spent total. Also, we are getting a smaller meal plan for DD (it was either way too many meals or almost too few, we chose too few so she could supplement her meals in her room) ~ because of that, she will have a microwave, Keurig, and we'll stock her up with healthy snacks, and things for quick meals.

We'll stock her up on the necessities and then replenish when we see her~ in the mean time, she can pitch in to buy what she wants between then.
I know it will get better after the first year when most of what they need is purchased.

Good luck to everyone with kids going off to college! :flower3:

Love this thread ! My daughter is going off this fall too. Her college offers a pack for $200. It has new comforter, 2 flat sheets, 2 fitted, thermal blanket, fleece, hamper, pillows, towels, washcloth, underbed storage, mattress cover and mattress pad. It seems like a decent deal. I think there was other stuff too. She is bringing flip flops for the shower .

We have to wait to see what dorm she gets to see if she needs an ac unit. I know we can rent fridge. We have a flat screen she can take.

I would love to keep hearing all good ideas!!

Is the company that offers the bedding RHL? Both my kids' schools offered the packs. We didn't buy from them because I had bought their things with gift cards they got from graduation. I think it's a good deal and know several people who have bought from them and say everything is decent quality, definitely will get through 4 years.

Thanks everyone for your info and suggestions. We only have a couple things so far, but she found a comforter she likes and to my "very happy" surprise it is cheap $40. We are getting a smaller fridge, because she will have the unlimited meal plan. She will be a student athlete and she eats about 6 small meals a day, so that should be where she eats most of her food from. So only really need sheets, towels and a few decorative items. I am really hoping to keep it under $500. We have spent so much this past spring on senior activities, mywallet needs a break. LOL! I know, I know maybe in 4-5 years.

Is the company that offers the bedding RHL? Both my kids' schools offered the packs. We didn't buy from them because I had bought their things with gift cards they got from graduation. I think it's a good deal and know several people who have bought from them and say everything is decent quality, definitely will get through 4 years.

Yes! Oh thank you for that info. That's good to know! I was hoping ur was good quality

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter