What is your best DVC Secret!!

I am fascinated by WDW's early history. Three gems:

1) Originally, the Polynesian had a "Wave Machine" to make the surf bigger. I guess they had to take it out cause it was causing the beach to erode.

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=1541

2) Originally, the third resort at 7 seas lagoon was scheduled to be a Asian resort. It would have been built where GF is now. I have seen web pages that have artist renderings of the project. Sorry, could not find them today.

3) Walt ended up buying all of the land for WDW (28,000 acres) for about $5 million. If you wanted (and were allowed) to live in a SSR GV for a year, it would require a puchase of 32668 points or $3.1 million (at $95 per point). That is before the the maintenance fees!

If you have not done any research in to the whole land acquistion process Walt went through it is certainly worth some time. Very, very interesting.

Originally posted by That70sGuy
An 'SSR GV'?? :confused:

(Sorry, I'm still working on abbreviations...)

SSR = Saratoga Springs Resort
GV = Grand Villa.

This past February DH and I were staying on cash at Caribbean Beach Resort with an AP rate, as used most of our points on big upcoming July vacation with family. DH had business conference in Clearwater, so was on my own for the day. I was in the MK when I decided to go visit my very favorite DVC resort, VWL. I took the boat from the MK to VWL, stopped in at the mercantile store at WL, bought a Haagen Daaz chocolate ice cream bar, a magazine, and a bottle of water, then walked over to VWL, and sat in one of the rockers on the side porch overlooking the foliage. It was so cool to just sit there and relax, reading my magazine, listening to the music that plays outside. Also, one evening DH and I went over to VWL and played checkers in the train room, and also sat on the porch for a while. It was a great night. VWL is a very romantic resort in the evening.;)

dont have any secrest really but I think OKW is the best band for your buck and is the quietest of all the DVC resorts

My last Gem (For now!). DVC was most likely the idea of the Arvida company. Back when Eisner came in Roy Disney had a huge hand in it. There are many books on the subject.

One of the driving forces was the Baker brothers (I think this is correct name), and, they owned Arvida properties. These brothers backed Roy in his reshaping of the company.

One of the "reshaping" measures was: We have a ton of property - why do we let folks stay outside WDW?

The first move was developing the Caribbean Beach Resort. A modest priced property. My wife and I stayed there 2 weeks after it opened. The rental fee of $49 a night almost killed us!

I am a stockholder in many company's, and, I give full right to the major owners of WDW stock to oust Eisner. And, I fully see some of the mistakes he made. But, I would ask them to remember how he made 1000's of people multi-millionaires with his wisdom and foresight!

DVC has made untold millions for WDW. And, I never like the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Donald Eisner's large income was based on the millions he made for stockholders. I would hate to think what WDW would be if it were not for him.

If anyone is interested in reading a great book about the WDW history and Eisner taking over - please post. I will get you the name of the book.

To continue - sorry! I think the Comcast bid and the future of WDW as a company is and should be a huge concern for all DVC owners.

While Comcast has backed off, another company (like Time Warner) could buy Disney and then sell it off in parts:

DVC to Marriott,
Theme Parks to Paramount
Resorts to Bass (Holiday Inn)
etc.

We bought in to the Disney name and reputation to quality.

I personally believe that a strong and wholly owned Disney (like Roy Disney is after) is the best for all of us.

Hell, sell of ABC and ESPN, but, please keep the parks and real estate under one entity.

I am not expert - please chime in!

Originally posted by Timon
Just wanted to post a link about the Asian Resort that was originally planned for.

Asian Resort

Thank you Timon - a real GEM of WDW lore! I enjoyed looking at the pics and reading the history.

And, while I think this them would have been WAY cool, I think WDW did better with the GF theme!

Upon further review, this is the site I found many of my interesting WDW gems.

Please view this site if you are truly interested in WDW sites. It is so interesting I viewed every page. A true visit in to WDW lore:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/wyw.htm

Fantastic stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter