• before 8:00

• 8:00

• 8:30

• 9:00

• 9:30

• after 9:30

• some odd time between the rounded choices

Results are only viewable after voting.
...But I think that if your child wants to stay up later, let him give it a try and see how he gets up in the morning. If he can stay up later and get up without a problem and function in the morning, then it's okay. If he's unable to get up on time or is grumpy, then he's staying up too late.

We did extend it a bit, and so far, it's been OK. Mostly I was just curious how much of his description of the other bedtimes in his class was accurate and how much was "slightly exaggerated" (either by him or by the other kids).

DS is one who does not like to rush and who does his reading log time for school in the morning, so he can play outside more in the afternoon. So he gets up quite early compared to the time we have have to leave.

Around 10ish is my limit pending the morning schedule. She falls asleep when her body clock tells her it is time. But I intervene at around 10pm.

Friday nights, no limit.

Same here in that DS11 sets his own bedtime. Usually he heads up around 9:30 and is sleeping by 10. He wakes up at 6:45 AM. Weekends he likes to stay up later.

My hat is off to you if you can get your 10 year old in bed and asleep by 10 pm. When my kids were that age, it didn't matter how early we got them to bed, they were never asleep before 11 pm. When they were that age I worked graveyard shift, and most nights I had faces in the two front bedrooms at 10:45 pm when I left waving goodbye. They had to be up by 8 am to be at school by 9 am.

There are many nights when my 11 yo isn't actually asleep until close to 11pm but that doesn't mean she isn't in her bed around 9pm. DH and I need our down time together and since I get up around 5:30am I'm usually in bed by 10pm. On weekends she's usually up with DH after I've gone to bed :laughing:.

Not voting due to the fact that my son is 14, but....

He is supposed to be in bed at 9pm. More often than not he is in bed by 9:30pm. He gets up for school at 630am.

Friday and Saturday he can stay up as late as he wants and sleep in. Although on Sunday, I am mostly guilty of waking him up at 9am, so he can get back on his weekday schedule.

Same here. Kid is turning 14 and up until this past year he had bedtime around 8:30-9. Now he gets tired and goes up somewhere between 9-10. But he has to wake up around 6:15 every morning to leave for the bus at 7. Weekends I don't care. he can stay up late and sleep in. When I was his age I didn't have a bedtime at all.

My 5 yr old goes to sleep aroun 8:30ish after stories.

Did I read correctly someone has their 7 or 9 yr old in bed at 7:30?? Really?? Most kids younger then that can't even fall asleep that early. And early in the summer too? That's insane.

DS had a sleepover last month at the home of a boy he goes to Scouts with, they are both nine. The sleepover was on a Saturday. DS told me the next day that they had to be in bed, lights out, by 8:30. The usual bedtime is apparently 7:30, but the mom let them stay up late since DS was there. I told DS that that sounds like a good rule to me, and he said Mom, I don't think so. LOL

We did extend it a bit, and so far, it's been OK. Mostly I was just curious how much of his description of the other bedtimes in his class was accurate and how much was "slightly exaggerated" (either by him or by the other kids).

DS is one who does not like to rush and who does his reading log time for school in the morning, so he can play outside more in the afternoon. So he gets up quite early compared to the time we have have to leave.

I'm nosy and want to know what the bedtimes were/are!

My son (10) has a bedtime of 9pm. That means we shoot for 9pm. We let him read or listen to music for a little while and most times he'll fall asleep around 9:30-9:45. So far we haven't had problems with him getting up in the morning or being sleepy at school. We will make exceptions of there's something big going on.

We've had a lot of baseball games that didn't start until 7:45pm so for the past few months his bedtime has really varied.

He gets up anywhere from 6:45 to 7am on school days. He usually sleeps in on the weekends and holidays. Oh and during holidays and summers he doesn't really have a bedtime.

Bedtime has never been a problem for us.
My DD just turned 11. She starts winding down around 8 on nights that she does not have cheering or gymnastics. She reads or watches the TV in her room until about 9. She never argues over the time so I don't fuss over 1/2 hour here and there if she wants to read more of her book.
My 9 year old also starts winding down around 8. I put the TV timer on for 10 or 20 minutes and she is usually sleeping before it turns off. She seems to require more sleep and she actually asks to go to bed when she feels tired.
On weekends they can stay up a little longer which may be 9/9:30 or 10 depending what is going on.

DS had a sleepover last month at the home of a boy he goes to Scouts with, they are both nine. The sleepover was on a Saturday. DS told me the next day that they had to be in bed, lights out, by 8:30. The usual bedtime is apparently 7:30, but the mom let them stay up late since DS was there.

Wow I would hate to be that poor kid--once a kid sleeps over there once I can't see them beating down the poor kids door to sleep there again. No kid wants to stay at the house with the mean mom!

My dd is 10. I voted 8pm. Sun-Thur night I announce bedtime at 7:45pm. All my elementary kids go to bed at the same time; more often than not it is close to 8pm before they are all in their rooms; last minute drinks, brushing teeth, ect... Fri and Sat night bedtime is 8pm and sometimes it's a few minutes after before they make it in their rooms...
I do not enforce lights out/sleeping at 8pm; but I do strictly enforce being in your room and quiet by 8pm. You can read, sometimes dd plays barbies quiety for a bit.... (*They have no tv's or computers in their room, so it's pretty much playing or reading). More often than not they are all sound asleep by 8:30pm....

DS had a sleepover last month at the home of a boy he goes to Scouts with, they are both nine. The sleepover was on a Saturday. DS told me the next day that they had to be in bed, lights out, by 8:30. The usual bedtime is apparently 7:30, but the mom let them stay up late since DS was there. I told DS that that sounds like a good rule to me, and he said Mom, I don't think so. LOL

When I read stuff like that I immediately think of the Simpson's.

Remember when Flanders put the kids to bed when it was light out and all the kids were playing in the neighborhood still?:rotfl:

I have an 11 year old...we would love for her to be in bed by 9, but at our house it just doesn't happen. With dance we often don't get home till 9 or 9:30 and then it takes a good hour to wind down. So I would say some nights ours is 9:30 ish and other as late as 10:30. She has to get up at 7. Even on the nights she has 5 hours of dance, she is still going strong. I wish I had her energy.

I have an 11 year old...we would love for her to be in bed by 9, but at our house it just doesn't happen. With dance we often don't get home till 9 or 9:30 and then it takes a good hour to wind down. So I would say some nights ours is 9:30 ish and other as late as 10:30. She has to get up at 7. Even on the nights she has 5 hours of dance, she is still going strong. I wish I had her energy.

Same here with my 11 year old, just substitute dance for softball. Now my 7 year old puts himself to bed on school nights at 9:00 on the the dot!

When I read stuff like that I immediately think of the Simpson's.

Remember when Flanders put the kids to bed when it was light out and all the kids were playing in the neighborhood still?:rotfl:

That reminds me of a guy down the block from me--even in the summer he would complain about the ice cream man coming at 830 because his kids were in bed and when they heard the ice cream man they wanted it----sorry buddy but some of us are waiting for the ice cream man with our kids who are enjoying their carefree summers! Some nights the ice cream man would come closer to 930 but there was still a line of kids buying ice cream then!

dd11 has to head up to bed around 9pm- usually in bed around 9:30 although she can read or play her ds for a while as long as she's in her room- that's during school nights. But this is a kid who puts herself to bed whenever she is too tired so I don't worry about her getting sleep. She'd go to bed during her own sleepover if she was too tired.

11pm during weekends -though I usually make the kids watch tv upstairs around 10pm so we get our goodnight kisses in before dh & I start falling asleep-master bedroom is downstairs.

dd13 has to be in her room by 9:30 during school nights but she has a tv and/or reads in her room much later. She knows how to set the sleep timer and she doesn't have to be up until dd11 and I leave for school/work- that will change this august when she heads to high school so we shall see how that works for her.

At the beginning of the school year, my 9 year old went to bed at 8:30. Now at the end of the school year, it's 9.

Next school year, we'll likely use 9 p.m. to start with.

But summer, all bets are off. It stays light til around 10 here in Michigan.

I'm nosy and want to know what the bedtimes were/are!...

I didn't want to post them at the beginning and skew the poll, but I don't mind now. - Upstairs time was 8:00, lights out 8:30. (I would read out loud or he would watch TV until then.) He was getting up at 6:30.

We upped bedtime to 8:15/8:45. At the same time, we changed wake-up to 6:15 - because he wanted to start reading in the morning in order to have more time to play outside in the afternoon.

It worked for a few days, but just this afternoon he had a meltdown saying he was tired. I asked if he thought he was staying up too late, and he said he wanted to go back to 8:00. Apparently, he really needs his 10 hours sleep, but just wanted to feel like it was his choice!

I was shocked at how late he said some kids in his class were staying up! I'm less so now after reading the replies, but I think a lot of it has to do with wake-up times as well.

I'm shocked at all the young kids we know, like 6 or 7 years old, who go to bed at 9 or 9:30. When DS was that age bedtime was 7pm, asleep by 7:30.

People always blame their kids activities for the late bedtimes. But, my son had activities everyday. I took him right after school to sports, music lessons, etc. I think the late bedtimes have more to do with parents having to schedule activities after they get out of work. That seems to push everything back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter