• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is wrong with the Mayor of Baltimore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not gettin it Tipsy.

I'm done explaining this now.

Didn't say they wouldn't survive.

Hard working people who pay taxes and just want to enjoy a baseball game are being told they can't now because of rioters? It's just not right. The rioters are taking away freedoms from others who don't deserve to be treated this way.

I'm not sure why you don't get it. Maybe your not American I dont know. That would explain it though.

Really? What a peculiar thing to say. Not sure how the leap was made from baseball to questioning one's patriotism. :sad2:

Last edited:
My boyfriend was able to access his office at Mondawmin Mall today for the first time this week. I understand as well as anyone that this situation has affected people's ability to work. It still pales in comparison to the big picture of civil unrest, violence, looting, and a burning city.

Baseball does not equal freedom in my mind. I'd rather see people be able to live free from abject poverty and police brutality.
You have no choice about the world into which you're born, but you have many choices when it comes to living the kind of life you wish to live.

My boyfriend was able to access his office at Mondawmin Mall today for the first time this week. I understand as well as anyone that this situation has affected people's ability to work. It still pales in comparison to the big picture of civil unrest, violence, looting, and a burning city.

Ok? :confused3 I'm not the one with bills to pay being affected, so I'm not dismissing anyone missing a days wages as no big deal.

Really? What a peculiar thing to say. Not sure how the leap was made from baseball to questioning one's patriotism. :sad2:
And that's sad that you still don't get it. Or maybe you do and just don't want to admit it.

Are you from America?

Oh and I never said patriotism. I said freedom.

You have no choice about the world into which you're born, but you have many choices when it comes to living the kind of life you wish to live.
Is that supposed to be directed at me and how I'm living my life? I'm doing well. Nice house in the 'burbs, financially stable, frequently travel abroad. I'm fortunate to be in the position I'm in.

Or is it directed towards people who live in those poor, crime ridden neighborhoods in Baltimore? Those people don't have as many choices as you seem to think. If "make lots of money and move to a better place" was that simple most people would've already done it.

And that's sad that you still don't get it. Or maybe you do and just don't want to admit it.

Are you from America?
Well, I find this line of questioning bizarre. Yes, I am an American, and I believe in freedom of speech. I think it's OK for people to state their opinions, and of course everyone doesn't have to agree. And you will never, ever, find me questioning someone's patriotism. That's beyond the pale.

Well, I find this line of questioning bizarre. Yes, I am an American, and I believe in freedom of speech. I think it's OK to say what one thinks, and everyone doesn't have to agree. And you will never, ever, find me questioning someone's patriotism. That's beyond the pale.
Never said patriotism. My goodness.

And here on the Dis we have folks from other countries that's why I asked.

Out of the multitude of issues regarding Baltimore, people are actually saddened that a baseball game will be played without an audience. This can't be real life. I feel like I've entered The Twilight Zone.
I think it's symbolic of a lot of things - namely not letting the bad guys win, carrying on as normal as possible in the face of terrorism, getting back to some semblance of normalcy, etc., not to mention giving people under incredible stress a little stress relief from an old fashioned ballgame. (During the Boston Marathon bombings the Red Sox played a big part in the healing of the city.) It also no doubt brings a lot of revenue into the city, as well as pride and joy, etc. I don't think it's so out of place. :confused3 Turn on any news station and it's part of the headlines as well.

Maybe if you hold on a moment the poster will return to tell you what you know. It seems they are an expert in what several of us are thinking.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I knew what you (or Sunshinehighway were thinking). Just explaining my confusion (though, admittedly, I didn't notice the "like" until it was pointed out) and musing that others may have been confused the same way.

I kind of see both sides - the baseball game is low on the list of things to be upset about but it does seem (for lack of a better word) symbolic.

And, for the record (since it appears to matter), I am not from the US.

Didn't say they wouldn't survive.

Hard working people who pay taxes and just want to enjoy a baseball game are being told they can't now because of rioters? It's just not right. The rioters are taking away freedoms from others who don't deserve to be treated this way.

I'm not sure why you don't get it. Maybe your not American I dont know. That would explain it though.
I am an American and have been to well over 200 Major League baseball games and I don't understand how "freedom" is somehow being taken away from the fans. The freedom to pay too much for tickets? To eat hot dogs and drink beer? To enjoy the National Pastime while people are being arrested in other parts of the city? Really? How many of those hard working tax payers (I guess lazy welfare queens don't follow baseball) do you think would go to the game anyway?

FWIW, the O's are beating the Sox 7-1 :love:.

Are you from America?

Oh and I never said patriotism. I said freedom.
Wouldn't people from any country care about freedom? It's not only something Americans care about. Even though fox news probably told you it is.

Wouldn't people from any country care about freedom? It's not only something Americans care about. Even though fox news probably told you it is.
Wow. Some people here are really mean.

Only questioned that one poster since see didn't have any idea what I meant by freedom.

I think it's symbolic of a lot of things - namely not letting the bad guys win, carrying on as normal as possible in the face of terrorism, getting back to some semblance of normalcy, etc., not to mention giving people under incredible stress a little stress relief from an old fashioned ballgame. (During the Boston Marathon bombings the Red Sox played a big part in the healing of the city.) It also no doubt brings a lot of revenue into the city, as well as pride and joy, etc. I don't think it's so out of place. :confused3 Turn on any news station and it's part of the headlines as well.
I see what you're saying, but my perspective has me seeing it differently. The people and areas involved in this week's events are a world away from the Camden Yards demographic. A baseball game won't be providing much needed relief to the affected community because they won't be in attendance. Those games primarily draw in people from the surrounding areas who certainly aren't facing the same issues as those who live more locally. For the people who will attend, the extent of their being affected by this situation begins and ends with being able to go to the game.

I see what you're saying, but my perspective has me seeing it differently. The people and areas involved in this week's events are a world away from the Camden Yards demographic. A baseball game won't be providing much needed relief to the affected community because they won't be in attendance. Those games primarily draw in people from the surrounding areas who certainly aren't facing the same issues as those who live more locally. For the people who will attend, the extent of their being affected by this situation begins and ends with being able to go to the game.
I bet some of the affected community works at Camden Yards.

Is that supposed to be directed at me and how I'm living my life? I'm doing well. Nice house in the 'burbs, financially stable, frequently travel abroad. I'm fortunate to be in the position I'm in.

Or is it directed towards people who live in those poor, crime ridden neighborhoods in Baltimore? Those people don't have as many choices as you seem to think. If "make lots of money and move to a better place" was that simple most people would've already done it.
I'm talking about those poor folks. And no, it's not easy to "break free", but many choose to repeat the same pattern that made everyone around them poor.

And the point isn't just about being poor. It's also about police brutality. While I do not condone that, and I do believe it should be prosecuted where it exists, there remains one very common element in each and every one of these events - namely a criminal who resisted arrest. Stupidity shouldn't be a death sentence, but it often is - whether from drug overdose, driving too fast, or fighting the cops.

We can protest all we want, but the fact remains that Freddie Gray was not long for this earth. And he put himself in that position by his own actions.

Wow. Some people here are really mean.

Only questioned that one poster since see didn't have any idea what I meant by freedom.
You have articulated your argument. Others have differing opinions. Civil discourse is not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter