• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is up with the GAP in women's jeans???

threeboysmom

Living the dream - near Disney!
I am beyond frustrated at this point. Since when did jean shopping become more difficult than shopping for a swimsuit?!!

I had a favorite pair of jeans from Loft that fit me well over the past few years, but they've redesigned them and now the fit is not so great.

I've been hunting for another pair of nice jeans for the past year with no success. Everything has that huge gap at the waist!! Granted I do have curvy hips, but a small waist. But I'm looking for low-rise - you would think that wouldn't be an issue!

Money is no object. I am willing to spend hundreds if I could find one pair of really nice jeans that FIT MY BODY.

I like low rise or even mid rise, boot cut, in a medium blue wash. I prefer a designer jean as opposed to just your basic Lee or Levi.

I loved the look of the Express jeans - had the exact wash I love with all the whiskering and fading, but wow, I could put 3 hands down that gap!!

Anyone else have this problem? I've literally tried on dozens of brands now. I'd like to give Lucky brand a try, but the nearest store is over an hour away so would like to know if it's even worth it before I make the drive.

I am beyond frustrated at this point. Since when did jean shopping become more difficult than shopping for a swimsuit?!!

I had a favorite pair of jeans from Loft that fit me well over the past few years, but they've redesigned them and now the fit is not so great.

I've been hunting for another pair of nice jeans for the past year with no success. Everything has that huge gap at the waist!! Granted I do have curvy hips, but a small waist. But I'm looking for low-rise - you would think that wouldn't be an issue!

Money is no object. I am willing to spend hundreds if I could find one pair of really nice jeans that FIT MY BODY.

I like low rise or even mid rise, boot cut, in a medium blue wash. I prefer a designer jean as opposed to just your basic Lee or Levi.

I loved the look of the Express jeans - had the exact wash I love with all the whiskering and fading, but wow, I could put 3 hands down that gap!!

Anyone else have this problem? I've literally tried on dozens of brands now. I'd like to give Lucky brand a try, but the nearest store is over an hour away so would like to know if it's even worth it before I make the drive.

I hear you! I have a similar problem - it's the hips vs waist thing. To avoid the gap it has to be a higher rise - then you have the MOM JEAN thing going on. No good either. I'm also short (and short-waisted, but with an average hip length), so the rise on jeans never hits me quite right.

Sometimes I wonder if we should just all go back to sewing our own clothes (not that I know how to sew) - then they'd be custom-made!

I have a great pair from Maurice's. They were a hand me down, though. We have a couple Maurice's stores here in Maine. I don't know if they're anywhere else.

Totally agree. I used to love the jeans from jjill but they've changed them too. They're more like chino material than denim & the fit is different because of it. I ordered two pair of the color jeans but they're not at all what I expected. Not denim & the fit is lousy. I'm also willing to pay more if I can find jeans with a great fit. I'll buy several pair of I can find what I want.

I once saw a tutorial (maybe on pintrest?) on sewing a piece of elastic into the back of your jeans to eliminate the gap.

I don't think there is any brand of Jean that will not have the gap. It is the cut/style causing the gap. I get long and lean tanks from old navy and wear them under everything. They tuck down into my jeans pretty far.

It's a pain because you have to order them but try Victorias Secret jeans. I just got a pair of Nine West jeans that had no gap (I have that issue too). They fit wonderfully! I got them a the BonTon. Not sure if you have one of those near you.

I would never be able to afford them so I don't have first had experience but I have heard really good things about True Religion jeans.

I've had that same problem with the jeans now - too much in the back that it doesn't hug my body like jeans are supposed to. I was getting frustrated trying to find a pair that fit the way they should.

It took me awhile, but I finally went to Kohls and tried on a pair of Vera Wang ankle jeans. I couldn't believe how well they fit me and I'm petite. They fit perfectly and I love them!

I did find that Levi's does have the Curve ID. My only problem with Levi's is that I'm normally a size 16 and a size 16 short felt a little snug on me. But I didn't have a problem with the back being too big.

I've had good luck with Lucky Brand. True Religions are another brand I like but with the horseshoe pockets and twisted seams, they can be a little flashy. Joe's Jeans are another good brand.

Macys has a store brand that I like. Same thing for me - LOFT re-designed and now they completely suck.

The macys brand is called INC and it is the "curvey" fit. I fit a 6 or 8 "curvey" and they have boot/straight/skinny/. Try them, I think you will like them!

Have you tried Indi jeans? They're "custom made" and you can pick the cut, wash, stitching, style, etc. I can't verify them personally, because I don't wear jeans, but my friend swears by them.

Yeah, I just bought a pair of white capris and they fit well enough in the front, then I turned around and saw this ginormous gap in the back. Yeah, that's attractive!! Not!! A girlfriend of mine said she tried a brand called Not Your Mother's Jeans that are guaranteed not to gap in the back. They sell them at Nordstrom for around $100. I haven't tried them yet but went to their website and I liked what I saw. Just google the name and you'll find their website.

I've had good luck with Lucky Brand. True Religions are another brand I like but with the horseshoe pockets and twisted seams, they can be a little flashy. Joe's Jeans are another good brand.

Another vote for Lucky Brand, they fit me as if they were custom made.

It's a pain because you have to order them but try Victorias Secret jeans. I just got a pair of Nine West jeans that had no gap (I have that issue too). They fit wonderfully! I got them a the BonTon. Not sure if you have one of those near you.

I'll look into Victoria's Secret jeans. I'm not sure if I've ever ordered pants from them before so not familiar with their sizing.

I do have a BonTon about a half hour away so will check there for Nine West. Thanks!

I would never be able to afford them so I don't have first had experience but I have heard really good things about True Religion jeans.

I've heard good things about True Religion too, but I looked them up on the website and not sure I like all the embellishment on the backside.

Gosh, I guess I'm picky.

I do have one pair of Joe's Jeans that don't gap. Problem is they are too long so I can only wear them with extemely high heels.

I have about 15 pairs of jeans that I could put into separate piles according to its "shortcoming": gap at waist.... too short.... too tall.... bag in front... too tight.... too loose.... When I reach for a pair of jeans on the weekend, I have to decide which shortcoming I want to deal with that day, lol.

Macys has a store brand that I like. Same thing for me - LOFT re-designed and now they completely suck.

The macys brand is called INC and it is the "curvey" fit. I fit a 6 or 8 "curvey" and they have boot/straight/skinny/. Try them, I think you will like them!

Hmm... I was just at Macy's yesterday and spent over an hour trying on about a dozen pairs of jeans/brands. I don't remember an INC though. I'll have to go back.

Have you tried Indi jeans? They're "custom made" and you can pick the cut, wash, stitching, style, etc. I can't verify them personally, because I don't wear jeans, but my friend swears by them.

Never heard of Indi - will google them. Thanks!

Yeah, I just bought a pair of white capris and they fit well enough in the front, then I turned around and saw this ginormous gap in the back. Yeah, that's attractive!! Not!! A girlfriend of mine said she tried a brand called Not Your Mother's Jeans that are guaranteed not to gap in the back. They sell them at Nordstrom for around $100. I haven't tried them yet but went to their website and I liked what I saw. Just google the name and you'll find their website.

I'm thinking you mean "Not Your Daughter's Jeans"? I did try on several pairs at Macy's since the salesperson swears by them, but they were not for me. I felt like I was wearing "Mom jeans" which I suppose I should have guessed they'd be old-fashioned looking solely based on their name. Maybe that's my problem - I WANT daughter jeans, lol. Even though I'm 47, I still want to look in fashion... without going too over the top. I do have to say though, they did fit REALLY nice. Just not my style.

Sooooooooooooooo aggravating. I don't understand why if this is such a universal problem that designers can't FIX the issue. Make the hip area a little narrower or put a small elastic hidden in the back or SOMETHING!

Has anyone ever brought jeans to a seamstress? Jeans fit me everywhere else so wonder how easy it is to take in an inch or two along the waistband. Not sure if that's possible to do without ripping out all the seams which would then make the hip/butt/thigh area too small. Sigh.

Since when did jean shopping become more difficult than shopping for a swimsuit?!!

For me, it's been like that forever. I don't think I've worn jeans since I was a teen wearing 501s.

I would find a tailor and just have jeans changed for you. I haven't had pants worked on, but a friend of mine is a great seamstress, and twice now has done some *tiny* tweaks that have TOTALLY changed the fit of dresses for me. It's amazing how small the tweak can be. (both dresses were bridesmaid dresses) Might be more intense for pants, especially denim, but it still might be worth it if jeans are important to you.

The thing that TOTALLY confuzzles me is I can find great fitting slacks. Slacks that fit me like they were custom made for me. But try a pair of jeans by the same designer, and wham, the big gap issue. WHY???

If they can make slacks that don't have a gap, I don't understand why they can't do the same thing with denim.

I always have the same problem. DH bought me a pair of Lucky jeans for Christmas and they fit great. I still wear a belt because the waist is just a tad big but nothing like any other brand.

It may not be same brand but I recall my brothers buying Lucky Brand jeans at buckle store and most malls I've been in have a buckle store. It also seems kohls vera wang jeans don't seem to have gap issue.

Have you tried Apple Bottoms? I have the same small waist/ large hips body type, and they work well with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter