What is UP with the Country Bear Jamboree?

Even though I would have no problem letting my kids (don't have 'em yet). watch CBJ, I get what the OP is saying. Like a PP, I watched CBJ all the time and never picked up on the Blood on the Saddle lyrics. I went back with my DH last year, and as soon as Big Al came on, Dh and I burst into quiet giggles. TBH, it's not exactly what you think of when you think of a "kid's" song. (Now, since I have been educated on this thread, I know that the song was never meant to be a kid's song). WDW is a family place, a couple's place, a child's place, and an adult's place. Dh and I love Cars, Finding Nemo, etc. If these movies were stripped of all barely-there innuendo or didn't connect to some adult concerns (like the desire of Nemo's father to keep Nemo away from any potential danger, even at the risk of grossly limiting his experiences--this connected to me while I was watching it), these films wouldn't "speak" to us in the way they do. That said, I'm appreciative that the parents on this thread who don't approve of certain films or attractions make the personal choice not to have their kids attend or view the objectionable material. By making a personal decision and understanding other people's tastes might be different, the questionable material is left intact, uncensored, and available for others to view.

I can remember seeing the CBJ when I was a kid in 1972, and thought it was great...really wasn't paying attention to the words...just really enjoyed it...as an adult, I still like it and don't hesitate bringing my children...but to each his own.

I also agree that it is up the parents to raise their children the way they want too, but come on...how are you going to shield you children from the actual, really violent world we live it. It's ok to shield your children from realistic problems but, a show in Disney World???

When I was a kid we used to watch the "uncensored" version of cartoons. Not once did it occur to me that I could fall off a cliff without getting hurt or hit someone in the face with a frying pan to see if their face print was still in it. Is it gotten to the point where children have a better grasp on reality then their parents?

I guess kids have a sense of humor that their parents do not have the good fortune to possess. Kids live in an unstable world, isn't a good thing to teach them how to coup with it. It's going to come as a huge surprise to them someday.

I'm hoping that I don't regret this, but I am extremely curious and I hope that you can see my question as honest wonder and can answer in the same way. What about the "Mermaid shows" doesn't fit in with your plan in child-raising? I can think of potentially objectionable things, things that might bother some people though not myself, in all of the other attractions listed above, but I honestly cannot think of that would cause such strife in Little Mermaid...please no flaming, I'm not looking for an arguement, just an ending to my curiosity.

Since the OP hasn't responded, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and suggest it might be due to the Little Mermaid's cleavage. She violates certain strict standards of modesty.

I'm curious to know, too, though!

Yes, they sing about Blood on The Saddle. At POC, they are selling women, the Wicked queen wants to kill Snow White, the Haunted Mansion is full of dead people, and during the Xmas show, Minnie and Mickey are in bed together and not married.
Lots and lots of stuff to explain away at Disney. Like the real world, WDW is not just for toddlers, but is big enough for everyone to find what they like and leave others to enjoy the rest.

Great post, and VERY true! :thumbsup2

I'm assuming you're talking about "Blood on the saddle" by Big Al. Yeah...it's been that way for 20 years at least!
LOL .... I love Big Al. And the song he sings. "Blood on the Saddle" I laughed all the way out the building the first time I heard it.

It's a real shame that some people try to censor most everything their children get to see or read. I wonder if those kids get to read the "Harry Potter" books? A real shame, almost a crime, if they can't enjoy this fantasy, and works like "The Lord of the Rings." Wonderful books, with a real message about the struggle between good and evil.

Karnak

Big Al fan here.:) Always have been since I was about 7 years old. I remember CBJ, and when Big Al came on, my dad thought he was hilarious. He was singing "Blood on the Saddle" in that deep voice of Big Al throughout the park that whole day. I remember this now 34 years later. I was never traumatized by the lyrics.

Well, I had seen CBJ many times since '99...never gave any of the lyrics a thought. In fact, I don't think I really listened to them since I was having a nice rest from all that walking. However, two years ago, I headed down to WDW with a bunch of whacko buddies. We all went to CBJ. Well...at one point one friend pokes me and says..."Did you hear what I heard? Blood on the Saddle?? And what about shooting Buford ?? This is so not PC!!!" It has become a running gag with us. It boggles my mind at times. But, do we really worry about it? No. There is much worse stuff out there to worry about.
To each his own. Each parent has to do what is right for their family, for their way of bringing up their kids. I'm sure that many don't agree with how I raise my dd, 14. I know I have issues with a lot of her friends' upbringings. But, it's not my business unless it starts impacting my dd.

If people find Bear Country offensive then by all means don't go in. Same with any other ride in the park. But don't come on a forum and tell other people how BAD it is. It is exactly the same as it has been since it opened. and millions of people the world over have enjoyed it and still do. I assume these same parents will never allow their children to see a western, or a period piece or much of anything real for that matter.

I am SOOOOOOO Sick of people enforcing Political correctness on everyone else. Dixie Landing, great resort, "Oh Dear offensive name, change it to Port Orleans Riverside." Pirates of the Caribbean, "Oh dear pirates are chasing women around and around, obviously for some naughty purpose, give the women brooms and umbrellas and have them chasing the Pirates"
It is stupid and insane and I really wish the pendulum would swing the other way.
To the OP, I hope you stay away from Bear country and any other rides you have a problem with.

I must say I am sort of baffled by some of the stuff people find offensive. But to each parent their own. This post does however make me want to go to CBJ this trip. We had it as a not important on our list, but I may just have to go, just to listen to the lyrics closer. I have been subjecting my kids to this show since they were less than 2 years old. :scared1:

BTW, I hope those who are truly strongly offended by anything Disney homeschool. There is much worse in the schools than in any Disney movie or attraction.

I raised 3 kids into productive adults, and they all saw CBJ. They also watched cartoons and sitcoms. They heard profanity and probably saw things I wish that they had not. I had no problem taking my DGD into CBJ, and honestly, I did not really "hear" the lyrics and she did not either. She simply enjoyed the show.

I cringe a bit when she watches Dumbo, but I don''t let my adult sensibilities ruin a animated movie for her. She does not see anything in pink elephants except that they are cute.

While I agree that parents can choose the direction they want to use to parent their children, it is impossible to shield them from every unsavory word, vision or idea. I would never criticize the OP's parenting decisions but they were not mine. I would not bring my kids into a theme park if I had to avoid most of the attractions, I would simply find a place where I did not need to limit my children's activities. Disney is a theme park that invites children of all ages and the attractions are not meant for a limited age group. I find them harmless but then I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, The Road Runner and I Dream of Jeannie.

I agree about poor little Buford:

Mama don't whoop little Buford,
Mama don't pound on his head
Mana don't whoop little Buford
I think you should shoot him instead.....

ANd I did that from memory.

I love the country bears.

I had neighbors while growing up who were not allowed to watch ANY Disney movie! The cartoon classics were included!

They would definitely veg out on Lion King and Little Mermaid when ever they came to our house!

I might be considered the other extreme of children being censored. Nothing was censored in our house- I started watching Rated R movies at 8. And I like to think I came out ok, although I do believe that Michael Myers from Halloween is really going to get me.

(walks into room and looks around)
(sees that room is filled with many people that might possibly be insane)
(backs slowly towards the door)

Whoa! I never knew there were strong opinions about CBJ. The music there never has struck me as inappropriate, but I get where some of you are coming from. You know what's cool? We can come to the DIS and check this stuff out so there are minimal surprises and awkward moments if there ARE attractions we have parental concerns about.

Honestly, if I may speak in the OP's defense, I think what we may be experiencing here is a deeply held cultural difference. See, we humans find blood of any kind, loose taking females and child abuse very disturbing and inappropriate, but in the bear community, and in the "country" bear community in particular, these so-called improprieties aren't looked at as wrong or inappropriate at all. If fact, they are encouraged from a very early age. All I can say is that until we learn to embrace our cultural differences, humans and bears will never successfully coexist and become brothers. Why can't we all just get along?!?!

wow- i can see that here on the disboards....having a different OPINION than the majority is definitely NOT a good thing. its my OPINION that i found the lyrics offensive. if i had known what they sing about in advance, i probably would not have taken my kids in. i am in noooo way uptight, or a controlling parent who doesnt let my kids experience life- but do i think they need to be exposed to those lyrics? no. and especially since the attraction is boring and in my OPINION pretty much sucks. so big deal- i asked if anyone else was offended? did i say they need to remove the attraction from disney? no. for everyone who is getting so upset- get over it. it was a comment, i thought this was a place to DISCUSS disney... but now i see you can only discuss things that the majority agrees upon. pretty sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter