• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is UP with the Country Bear Jamboree?

I could swear that I remember staged gunfights in Fronterland (at Disneyland) when I was a kid. Does anyone else recall that from the early 60s ?

I suppose that would be somewhat inappropriate today, in the sense that it might disturb a few people who are not into the Western genre.

But as for Country Bear Jamboree... there is just nothing in it that would bother a reasonable person. If CBJ, POTC, and the Tiki Birds (???) cause offense, I guess that we have no common ground for discussion.

Is this sarcasm or are you really like this? :scared:

Quite possibly NOT sarcasm. I just watched Jesus Camp on DVD. Very eye-opening. There's folks out there who would make this childrearing approach look downright permissive. At least her son got to decide for himself that he was disturbed by the ancient cultures at AK (sort of - I'm assuming he got the "idols are disturbing" thing from home). Many of the Jesus Camp parents wouldn't even take their kids to AK in the first place.

I guess we should only agree with OPs that the majority agree with?:confused3

[THAT was sarcasm]

My husband and I are Christians who carefully consider what we expose our children to. We have been blessed by our caution to this point and expect that we will continue to be. We also do not lack for entertainment that we approve of and must have at least 75 movies that we find suitable.

Amazingly enough, my children have never seen the Nemo movie, yet based on a deck of Nemo cards they received for their birthdays and those enormous coloring sheets that Crayola packages they feel they "know" these characters and chose to spend their vacation dollars on a Nemo set to play with. They got the idea of the story from the Nemo Musical without having to see the film.

I stand by my opinion that Disney is not rated "G" but rather "PG" and that parents are the best judges of what their children should see.

.. and that parents are the best judges of what their children should see.

While others are free to choose differently and some do ... I completely agree with this statement. Kudos to you for taking an active parenting role so seriously.

:)

Knox

I think that if I ever get that uptight with what's going on at Disney, I'll just say home. Dinesy is mild in comparison to the other things kids will encounter on their journey to adulthood--I would hate for my child to not get the first dose of any of it until they hit college...talk about culture shock! :scared1: I think that everyone should raise their children as they see fit, don't get me wrong, but if everything in the World is really that tarnishing to a young mind, why go?:confused3

Not sure what the objection is to "Blood on the Saddle". :confused3
It's a classic old country and western song. On my 1st visit to WDW at 7 years old I remember loving Big Al and his rendition of that song. I thought his sad-sack look and the lugubrious way he sang it was very funny and cute. (yes, I said "lugubrious"...had to get out my dictionary for that one to make sure I spelled it right and had the right definition :rotfl2: ).
Big Al was my Mom's favorite character and she was a big country music fan since her teenage years in the '50s (she grew up in NYC... go figure) and I remember we bought her a stuffed Big Al doll. Even at 7 years old, I found nothing disturbing about it and can't imagine why anyone would.
To me, it was just funny that here's a show with all these cute bears and then the big guy with the sad face comes out and sings a slow, mournful "Blood on the Saddle", like a weary old cowboy. I thought that was what made it funny.

Let's please remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn't make "your" opinion more credible than "my" opinion.
We love everything about WDW and I don't want them to change a thing!!:thumbsup2 We find CBJ to be a fun and wholesome entertainment option and that's that:cool1:

Not sure what the objection is to "Blood on the Saddle". :confused3
To me, it was just funny that here's a show with all these cute bears and then the big guy with the sad face comes out and sings a slow, mournful "Blood on the Saddle", like a weary old cowboy. I thought that was what made it funny.

Yeah, my DS and I were cracking up at Big Al. We watched it during the EMH at MK and we were dead tired, but all we kept hearing was "blood on the saddle" and we cracked up. The rest of the show was so awful that we just had to laugh. No offense to those that like CBJ. We think it's ok, but it needs some kind of overhaul.

While others are free to choose differently and some do ... I completely agree with this statement. Kudos to you for taking an active parenting role so seriously.

:)

Knox

Please don't suggest that because we believe that WDW is as vanilla as it can get for kids, that we don't take an active parenting roll. It's because we take an active parenting roll that we choose to take our kids to WDW to find clean, wholesome entertainment.

I really don't want to make a big thing out of this... but find it a little unfair to suggest that only those that think WDW is "bad" for kids are real parents. That may not have been the intent, but it sure had that feel to it!

Just adding my $0.02!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Wow, it must get really boring going 'round and 'round on Dumbo all day long.

Not to mention EXPENSIVE to just see Dumbo...
While I agree with censoring what my children watch and listen to, there is such a thing as "too much". Every experience we have gives us skills to handle the next, and so on. I agree that Disney is pretty mild compared to what we must deal with in the real world. My Aunt raised my same age cousins in a bubble...no movies, no un-screened television, and she even home-schooled to keep them from seeing anything other that her rose-colored version of the world (what they see and hear at school is MUCH worse than whatever it is that is so offensive about Nemo)...needless to say, both of her daughters ended up pregnant as un-wed teenagers. I guess the bubble doesn't work for all.... but good luck with that.

Please don't suggest that because we believe that WDW is as vanilla as it can get for kids, that we don't take an active parenting roll. It's because we take an active parenting roll that we choose to take our kids to WDW to find clean, wholesome entertainment.

I really don't want to make a big thing out of this... but find it a little unfair to suggest that only those that think WDW is "bad" for kids are real parents. That may not have been the intent, but it sure had that feel to it!

Just adding my $0.02!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Paul, sorry if I came across that way at all.

That was certainly not my intent.

The two statements I made were really separate. And i can see now when read together they might be mis-construed.

What I meant was.. "Even tho there are lots of ways to parent, I completely agree that parents are the best judge of what's appropriate for their own children." ... And then separately.. the kudos statement.

I hope that's more clear. Again, apologies for any confusion.

Knox

100% totally agree with you O.P.!

I heard it with new ears this time around [no pun intended] as my oldest is 7 years old and need not hear that. We will not be seeing it again. It is absolutely disgusting, IMO!

We also do not go into POTC, HM or Snow White. We also skip Tiki Room, Mermaid shows, and others that don't fit with our plan in child-raising. My 7 y.o. also told us HE found parts of AK disturbing with Disney-version idols from ancient cultures. My kids will never see CARS again under my roof, either, for that matter since I heard my son repeat, "she only likes me for my body," a/k/a Tow Mater RE: Sally.

Disney, while very child-friendly, is not rated-G, but IMO PG, and parents have to censor for their own families. Disney isn't just black and white "safe," as parts will appeal to some and not appeal to others. But you will be blessed by guiding your children to only what you find acceptable for your home! :)

:lmao: Sadly I don't think this was sarcasm?

I don't really care if you censor what your child watches or hears (that is for you to decide) but why in the world do you go to disney if you find it that objectable?

If I don't want my child to see or hear something I don't throw them into the middle of it and make them watch everyone else enjoy doing it.

I guess we should only agree with OPs that the majority agree with?:confused3

[THAT was sarcasm]

My husband and I are Christians who carefully consider what we expose our children to. We have been blessed by our caution to this point and expect that we will continue to be. We also do not lack for entertainment that we approve of and must have at least 75 movies that we find suitable.

Amazingly enough, my children have never seen the Nemo movie, yet based on a deck of Nemo cards they received for their birthdays and those enormous coloring sheets that Crayola packages they feel they "know" these characters and chose to spend their vacation dollars on a Nemo set to play with. They got the idea of the story from the Nemo Musical without having to see the film.

I stand by my opinion that Disney is not rated "G" but rather "PG" and that parents are the best judges of what their children should see.

What's wrong with Nemo?? Is it because they say the word "butt"?:confused3

I don't find the Country Bears at all offensive. In fact, I think it is probably one of the least offensive things on the planet.

While I fully support every parent's right to raise their child as they see fit, I don't think that Disney needs to make every single attraction/ride as "safe" as the most over-protective or easily offended person would need it to be. I often think that when they change things to make these folks happy, the stuff we end up with (e.g. Stitch) just sucks.

Not everything has to be appropriate for sheltered 4 year olds. If a parent feels that the Country Bears are too much for their children, they can skip it.

Just adding my $0.02!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Seconding this - we practice extremely active parenting! We constantly discuss things we see, hear about or experience with our children, and we stay involved in their lives. Our conversations have ranged from sex to politics to religion to morality, at a level the children can understand since they were old enough to talk.

And yeah - I sat down with my 9 and 11yo tonight and we watched Family Guy - as a family! :laughing: (I draw the line at South Park, though...)

Paul, sorry if I came across that way at all.

That was certainly not my intent.

The two statements I made were really separate. And i can see now when read together they might be mis-construed.

What I meant was.. "Even tho there are lots of ways to parent, I completely agree that parents are the best judge of what's appropriate for their own children." ... And then separately.. the kudos statement.

I hope that's more clear. Again, apologies for any confusion.

Knox

Whoops! Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon! I totally agree with you - it's very much up to each parent to decide what's best. The thought of anyone being able to determine another person's parenting choices (except in extreme cases) scares the bejeezus out of me.
:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter