• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is Universal Orlando's biggest flaw?

Originally posted by Don Karnage
Interesting topic....

Does anyone else consider the 'donut' design of IOA a flaw? (Y'know... a circle without spokes)

I'm am quite sure they have good marketing reasons for deliberately building it this way but, from a guest perspective, I don't find it all that easy to get from one side of the park to the other. I know they have the island skippers (at least I think they still do) but they don't seem to be all that convenient or available.

Not that it will stop IOA from being a personal fav.... but an express path tightly ringing the lagoon would be nice.

To be fair... the same thing applies to World Showcase at Epcot. And MGM is another navigational mess.

Actually, Busch Gardens is laid out incredibly badly. Most of that is because they built it up slowly over time, but still I'd think they could design at least some walkways to get from one side to the other quickly.

Originally posted by sha_lyn
I find all the drunk comments funny since the only place I've encounter people who are drunk is at Epcot.

That's because beer flows freer at World Showcase than at the other Disney parks. Ever try to find a beer at the Magic Kingdom?

I love Universal. I can't wait until my kids are a little older and taller to enjoy IOA more - they love US already.

Originally posted by Barry Hom
That's because beer flows freer at World Showcase than at the other Disney parks. Ever try to find a beer at the Magic Kingdom?

Sure MK doesn't sell beer but MGM and AK does. I think that the water parks do too. I just find it strange all the talk of alcohol at US/IOA when it is all over most of the WDW parks too.

My 17 yr old & I tried Universal & IOA over Pres. Wknd & had a good time. We went first thing Sat. morning & were done by 3:00. I basically followed his lead & he was done by then. The thing they need to work on, in my opinion, is their workers. Since we had never been there we did not know what to do when approaching the rides. It annoys me when I'm standing there ready to board & 2-3 workers are chatting (Guess who got engaged? No! Yes! etc.) At dueling dragons the worker told someone they coulnd't take their back pack on the ride & pointed to the lockers. No explanation. When he went to the lockers there were a number of perplexed people there complaining that they have to pay for a locker to ride the ride. A very helpful 10-yr old explained the procedure to everyone. That should have been the employee's job.
Take some lessons from WDW on customer relations

I guess the parks figured that if a 10 year old could figure it out then most adults should be able to;)
This seems to be a concern with some people although we've never had a problem with employees at either park in our many, many visits and have found them very friendly and approachable.

Originally posted by pgjam
Take some lessons from WDW on customer relations

"Mr. Toads Wild Ride will not be closing down dispite the many rumors that it will."

"Horizons will reopen in 1999"

That's good customer relations.

This is not a complaint but a suggestion....Some transport between the two parks would be wonderful. I am fully capable of walking, but for many it is a long hike if they want to visit both parks in one day. A short tram ride, boat ride or some shuttle type would be an excellent addition here for folks who need it...

Other than that I love the Universal parks and always have...:D

I think the Universal Parks are top-notch.
The walk from the parking garage to the entrances is long. It is not an unpleasant walk, though. It is cool and covered with restaurants and shops.
I think the food at the counter service restaurants is bad and it is what I would expect for fast food. I like having the restaurants in Citywalk so convenient for lunch during the day. To me, they are a much better value than the fast food places in the park.
I would just assume they not sell beer and alcohol in the parks, or Disney, or baseball games when my kids are with me, etc. This is a place I take my kids and I would prefer there not be alcohol. I don't drink around my children and sure, it would be nice if no one else did, either. I am happy that they designated smoking areas, this used to be their biggest flaw, in my opinion.
I, also, think that we don't have to get completely soaked to have fun on a water ride. There are a lot of water rides here and they do get you really wet.
I really do feel that these are good parks and the flaws are minimal for most of us. When I compare it to the Six Flags here in Atlanta, it gets 5 stars. Not as many rides, but much better managing.

1- Please, there's a 30-45 minutes wait at Dueling Dragons. Are you forced to run 1 train on each side? I know you got 2 others for each track waiting in the maintenance bay. Love the coaster Fire is the best looping coaster I've been on), but its a one shot deal everytime cause of that.

2- The atrocious preshows at Earthquake and Twister. These aren't that bad, but enduring 10-20 minutes of preshows for 2 minutes experience? What's up with that? Take a clue from Spiderman and MiB. Integrate the preshow in the waiting line.

3- Jaws is sweet, but 4 show scenes is way too short.

4- Way to go. Universal Studios attendance is sinking and to fix it up, you'll go grab some market from IOA, who's rising? (the rumored Mummy Coaster).

5- Universal can't have classics? Kongfrontation, ET at USH? If Disney whould have removed Pirates at DL after 12 years, to replace it with a thrill ride, whould that make any senses? High maintenance costs? Then, update and modernise the whole thing.

6- Rearrange Hulk queue line. I had to wait an hour in that line and between the loud music (the music is great, but way too loud), the snaking of the line and the whole feel of the place, I felt I was ready to go nuts.

7- Tank or rehab Earthquake. Compare the flame effects of say Jaws to Earthquake. Earthquake is a small bonfire. The other is basically being roasted on a barbecue. Ain't that what a fire effect is about? Again, something in addition (a passage on the surface after going out the subway station?) whould help it. If not, NEXT! And please, no rollercoaster, leave that to IOA.

There you go, the 7 things I whould (or have) change.

The biggest flaw is to move away from the original 'Ride The Movies' philosophy. It's rather like a general dumbing down of the Studies park, ridding it of anything that could be considered informative - Hitchcock et al - and building rides based on movies of questionable quality - Neutron, Mummy - and questionable lifespan.

Originally posted by Absimilliard
1- Please, there's a 30-45 minutes wait at Dueling Dragons. Are you forced to run 1 train on each side? I know you got 2 others for each track waiting in the maintenance bay. Love the coaster Fire is the best looping coaster I've been on), but its a one shot deal everytime cause of that.
If they dont have the staff, they cant run 2 or 3 trains per side.

its a matter of staff and budget, we need a certain amount of people to have a coaster cycling, and we have projections of the park attendice and we staff people according to that. if you are in a slow season expect only one train on DD for ice and fire, expect other attractions not to be operating ie storm force, and trike which is btw open this week

Having been to USF/IOA many times,I find the walk to and from the parking garage the WORST!! I'm so happy they now have on-site hotels.

I think there should be transportation between parks.As for myself and my family,I don't mind,but I have observed families with younger children and they definitely could use the ride.

I'd like to see more parades,evening shows like the old"stunt -man"show and more "street"entertainment.

But my biggest complaint is NOT ENOUGH CHARACTER DINING within the park!Yes,I've been to the dining at the hotels and it's always been very nice,but how about something,anything within the parks.They use to have character dining,which I might add,was always crowded,but they discontinued all of it and I,for one,am very disappointed!!!!

i thought that both of the parks were great.

as we got the shuttle bus in - the walk seemed much shorter to the parks than WDW's Magic Kingdom.

Personally i prefered Universal Studios to Magic Kingdom.

Even though it was big it seemed more compact and i felt that you could get around the parks more.

I really enjoyed the shows (Horror Make-up, Bettlejuice Music Concert).

Nope i couldn't fault Universal Studios.

Wow, lots of complaints. Any theme park can be improved but I like both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, and I'm trying to start planning our next trip. Maybe the biggest problem is that they're too far away from me!

By the way, I thought that these kind of comments were going away? But maybe that's just on the CB. :(

Originally posted by PINK FLOYD FANATIC
Is that why there's no new major coasters like a woodie in the JP area?
Wooden coatsers take up way too much space, and there's not enough space in JP for a wooden. A wooden *could* go behind MIB, there's lots of space back there.

well i must say i love both parks they are great and i cannot fault anyone of the parks..........................
it may have something to do with the fact im from the uk and all we have is alton towers,blackpool,and drayton manor and theres no comparison ....they are crap compared to universal........
and we mainly go in october and the halloween horror nights are something else...........i went to alton towers horror night once and never again ive been more scared by universals halloween horror night tickets lol .....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter