what is tomato sauce?

lovintheland

Mouseketeer
Ok so I know what tomato sauce is. In australia it's what you guys call ketchup. I'm making a P F Changs copycat recipe that calls for a cup of tomato sauce, would this mean ketchup or is it crushed canned tomatoes???

Could someone shed some light on this for me from Downunder please????

The can will actually say Tomato sauce on it. It's pretty much like spaghetti sauce but they don't add basil or garlic to it

Around here, at least, it's in a can labeled tomato sauce, usually in the aisle with canned tomatoes. It's different from pasta sauce in that there's no additional seasonings added.

It's neither. Tomato sauce is slow cooked, pureed tomatoes. If you can't find it, you can substitute tomato paste and water. Just mix equal parts tomato paste and water until you have the desired amount of sauce.

Ok so I know what tomato sauce is. In australia it's what you guys call ketchup. I'm making a P F Changs copycat recipe that calls for a cup of tomato sauce, would this mean ketchup or is it crushed canned tomatoes???

Tomato sauce is neither ketchup or crushed canned tomatoes. It is basically spaghetti sauce minus the herbs and spices.
Tomato sauce is a product made by cooking fresh tomatoes down into a medium-thick sauce then straining out seeds and peels. The product is available natual or seasoned. Tomato sauce is used as a base or an addition to many sauces and soups. It is less concentrated than tomato paste and thinner than tomato puree.

You can make tomato sauce by taking equal parts of tomato paste and water.

Tomato Sauce is pureed tomatoes usually unseasoned. It differs greatly from ketchup. Ketchup is also pureed tomatoes but with seasonings and other things added, like sugar to give it flavor.

In North America, tomato sauce is more like a tomato-based pasta sauce but without seasonings. I can't remember what it's called in Australia, but I know it's readily available - maybe tomato puree? It will be found with the tomato pastes, but is not concentrated. At the very least you should be able to find it at an Italian grocer.

ok thanks, they actually don't sell it in a can here only a glass bottle and that's why I was a bit confused and thought maybe it was just crushed tomatoes. :thumbsup2

Look for a product called Passata cooking sauce - that should be the equivalent of American tomato sauce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter