What is This Thing at Orlando's Aiport?

GrnMtnMan

DIS Veteran
This.

It looks like it could be the tram to another terminal or a train or bus station....but the path leads down to roadway.

I'm going to have to say it's the tram to the various gates. Yes, there is a walkway down to the roadway area, but I think that's just an access way. I have seen that as we use the tram.

It seems to enter the building just outside the Hyatt's ballrooms. I'm guessing that it was originally meant to be a ramp for tradeshow deliveries to the Hyatt.

I've heard 2 different things on what that ramp was built/designed for.

1. A connecting service (either Bus or light Rail) with the MCO Southern Terminal complex which was postponed/canceled after the 2011 travel downturns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_International_Airport#New_terminal

2. the high Speed rail link station at the airport.
It's number 1 I think. A connector between the current terminal and a proposed future one. Here are the overall plans. And here is the doc that most clearly shows the intended use of that structure.

I guess I could have Google-ed this in the first place.

Well then....obviously I didn't look at it clearly enough, or pan out far enough. It does look like a connector to a future terminal area. Duh.

It's a built out for future rail access to the airport.

If you mean for a rail service connection between the current terminal and the proposed south terminal as GrnMtnMan suggested, then I agree. I think it's less likely to be there for access to any larger rail system unless the airport would be a terminus point for that system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter