• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is there to do -on property- outside the parks?

zaja

Mouseketeer
We've decided to take a spur-of-the moment trip in March. We'll have several non-park days. Anyone have any good ideas of what we can do around the property?

Yes I want to know this too! We'll be at FW for 6 days, and only of them in the parks. I think DTD sounds cool!

Definitely a day at DTD.
Ft Wilderness has that cute movie and marshmellow roast with Chip&Dale...

Drive to Old Towne ..

I've never done it, but hear it's cool to check out the other resorts on site...

A day at the pool is always a win with kids!!

Take one of the free tours at WL

Plan meals at cool resteraunts at different resorts

Downtown Disney (take the boat from DTD to OKW, SSR, POFQ, or Riverside for lunch, maybe). Take the boat to SSR and take the DVC tour to get free fastpasses or Disney gift cards

Ride the monorail.

Pin trade at different resorts w/ Cast Members

Depending on ages of kids, one of the pirate cruises at YC, CBR, POR, or GF, Grand Adventures in Cooking at GF, or the Wonderland Tea Party at GF.

Floral Aranging class at SSR

High Tea at the GF

These are just off the top of my head. There are so many more.

Character breakfast at a resort, or trying other resort dining options, resort hopping/shopping, DTD, pool, renting watercraft or surrey bikes at a resort, spa days (at Dolphin or GF), using resort fitness rooms, FW has hiking trails and pony rides, CR has parasailing. Some offer fishing. Golf, mini golf, movie theater at DTD, cirque de sol, disney quest. Resorts have activities and crafts, hair wrapping, games at pool or beach, movie nights. Ride the monorail loop. Catch a game at ESPN.

spend some time at Boardwalk - take a surrey bike around, at night they have entertainment The Beach Club also has a movie on the Beach nite

have ice cream at Beaches and Cream - or get a cup of gelatto (best ever!) inside Beach Club resort

2nd taking a boat from DTD or to DTD to a resort - POR also has the horse and buggy that take you around their resort -

DTD - they have some great restaurants - T Rex, Rainforest - definately can spend a whole day at DTD - then back to the resort for some pool time!

Love eating at Contemp or Poly or Grand Floridian -

dd did a Pirates cruise out of Grand Floridian, she loved it! Then spend the rest of the day at your resort - pool, the arcade, and each resort has activities too - DD really loves a day away from the parks where she can sleep in and swim!

dont forget all the watercraft you can rent - you dont have to be staying at Contemp, Poly, GF etc to rent those 2 person mice craft etc!

Fort Wilderness has lots of activities - you may be more successful using google - click on "advanced" and then google Fort Wilderness and in the url you can put disboards.com too!

I would definitely recommend going to Downtown Disney. It's a really nice place to shop and just look around. You'll find everything from a Virgin Mega Store to Once Upon a Toy. You can get a free chocolate bar sample from Ghiradelli's Chocolate Factory. You'll see giant Lego structures and the largest World of Disney Store. Slip into Mickey's Mart and find really great priced souveniers (all under $10.00).

This past August, we took the boat to Wilderness Lodge and to Pop Century. The resorts were neat to look at......the geyser at WL and the giant icons at Pop Century.

You might also want to do a dinner show at either Fort Wilderness or the Polynesian.

You can rent water craft at several of the resorts too.

Here's a couple more that I don't think have been mentioned:

Play golf. Disney will pay your taxi to and from your resort for free.

Have a photo shoot with a photopass photographer at one of the resorts. We had ours at SSR, and loved it. You can even combine this with the boat ride from DTD if you want.

Watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly.

This past August, we took the boat to Wilderness Lodge and to Pop Century. The resorts were neat to look at......the geyser at WL and the giant icons at Pop Century.

I'm pretty sure there's no boat to the POP, but the icons are pretty cool.

Here's a couple more that I don't think have been mentioned:

Play golf. Disney will pay your taxi to and from your resort for free.

Have a photo shoot with a photopass photographer at one of the resorts. We had ours at SSR, and loved it. You can even combine this with the boat ride from DTD if you want.

Watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly.

I'm pretty sure there's no boat to the POP, but the icons are pretty cool.

Oops, typo. Caught a boat to WL and drove over to Pop.

We love to visit all the resorts and DVC locations. Disney does such a great job with theming that it isn't just going to a hotel but another entertainment experience (especially during the holidays with all the decorations!)

We spent a day doing the Backstage Tour. It is a terrific way to see three of the parks from the backstage without using a day of your park pass (not cheap but we thought it was worth the price.)

We've actually done a non-park vacation before and loved it. Disney has designed a myriad of areas for you to wander around--many involve you probably spending money--but there is also a great deal of nature to take in and we have found the resort areas to be both beautiful and quiet places to take in a lovely Florida vacation besides just Disney.

BTW-Vero Beach is pretty nice if you plan to take a drive or do a real get-away!

So can just anyone walk into the resorts? And use the pools and such? Or do you have to be staying at ONE of the resorts and have the resort card?

So can just anyone walk into the resorts? And use the pools and such? Or do you have to be staying at ONE of the resorts and have the resort card?

Uh-oh...pool hopping question...popcorn::

You are free to check out the resorts. After all, they have restaurants, etc. and it might encourage you for a future stay.

Pool hopping (aside from DVC members, and that has restrictions) is a no-no...

Anyone can visit the resorts, but only those staying at the resort (and DVC members w/ pool hopping privileges) can use the pool. If you go to a resort just to "check it out", they will give you a 3 hour parking pass at the gate if you drive. If you take Disney transportation, nobody will even pay attention as to whether you are actually staying at the resort.

Never tried pool hopping although that would be a nice thing on a DVC vacation. But the resorts are great about allowing you to walk around and take in the ambience. Sometimes, if they aren't crazy busy (and most times they are) the CMS will even give you a little tour and talk about their favorite parts of the resort-or at least point you towards interesting things to do or see. I think the DVC cast members are some of the best.

um.......
mineature golfing
DTD (down town disney)
Water parks
visiting other resorts
eating at other resorts
Wide world of sports

Don't forget aside from the 4 main parks, there's Blizzard Beach, Disney Quest, Downtown Disney, mini golf, check out some of the other resorts, rent a boat, surrey bike, or golf cart, see Cirque De Soleil, go to a dinner show, or let your kids try out one of the kids clubs and have a parents night out.

Wow! Who knew Disney had so much to offer outside of the parks!? Thanks for all the suggestions; now we just have to decide which ones to do! (And we thought it would be hard to fill our extra days with activities, lol.) :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter