• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the Worst Gift Your SO ever gave you?

DH prides himself on getting me what I really want ;) so now we generally don't exchange gifts.

The worst was a corset that advertised "slims you down one full dress size." It was an actual corset with the strings someone pulls for you to truss you in. He was so proud of himself because I'm always saying "if I could just lose one size I'd fit into everything in my closet."

I love practical gifts. Give me a toaster and I'm happy. The corset actually made me laugh out loud though - it was such a well intentioned idea gone wrong. Poor DH!

DH prides himself on getting me what I really want ;) so now we generally don't exchange gifts.

The worst was a corset that advertised "slims you down one full dress size." It was an actual corset with the strings someone pulls for you to truss you in. He was so proud of himself because I'm always saying "if I could just lose one size I'd fit into everything in my closet."

I love practical gifts. Give me a toaster and I'm happy. The corset actually made me laugh out loud though - it was such a well intentioned idea gone wrong. Poor DH!

Those are the best kind. The ones you will talk about forever.

I don't have any totally awful things..but my mom does.

1- Their first christmas. A CASE of feminine hyginene pads. His reason? "I wanted to give you something personal that you could use"

2- Next christmas...CASE of shampoo (crappy to boot..) same reasoning.

3- Wapped up a hot wheels car and said "I'm getting you this car." It was a used POS from his friend who was just gonna give it to him. My mom said 'keep it'.

4- Numerous IOU's. Seriously. Wrapped a piece of paper that said IOU. Never got them.

They're divorced :p

(well maybe it isn't so fun after all, I'm starting to get mad now.:laughing: )

:rotfl2:

Our first married Christmas: an egg crate mattress topper. Money was really tight so I wasn't expecting a lot. But a mattress topper? :confused3

And a few years ago for Mother's Day I got a memory foam mattress topper.

I wonder what's next? :scared: :lmao:

:) Michele

Our first married Christmas: an egg crate mattress topper. Money was really tight so I wasn't expecting a lot. But a mattress topper? :confused3

Maybe he's feeling you out before he gets you brand new king size temperpedic bed :laughing:

I have come to the conclusion that like my dh, most men hate to shop and therefore wait till the very last minute. They step into the mall, sometimes for the first time without their wives, and completely panic. Its like they freeze up and buy the very first thing they see and somehow they tell themselves that it really is a great gift for their wife/SO. Sometimes we get lucky when this happens, sometimes, as is evident in this thread, we don't.

DH is off Ice Fishing right now :headache: so I thought I'd report this years present. I got a waffle maker. :mad::mad::mad::mad: I tried making waffles a couple of months back (the first time in 2 years) and our old waffle maker wasn't working. I should have never told DH. :sad2:

About a week ago , I was outside and my gloves were wet so I came inside to get some more gloves. DH said to take his since they were sitting right by the door. When I came in the house we had this conversation:

ME:Those gloves are really nice, my hands stayed toasty the whole time I was outside.
DH:They are nice, I got them at the Totes Store.
ME: I'd like a pair of those, they work great.
DH: Next time your at the mall, pick yourself up a pair.

:mad: :headache: :mad: :headache:

HELLLLLOOO!!!! You want to know what I want, I tell you, and you DON'T get it? :eek: :faint: FTR, he went shopping for the waffle iron AFTER we had the glove conversation. :sad2:

On a brighter note, the kids had a wonderful Christmas and got everything they wanted. :goodvibes

I think I'm getting DH a vaccuum cleaner next christmas. :scratchin :laughing:

ME:Those gloves are really nice, my hands stayed toasty the whole time I was outside.
DH:They are nice, I got them at the Totes Store.
ME: I'd like a pair of those, they work great.
DH: Next time your at the mall, pick yourself up a pair.

:mad: :headache: :mad: :headache:

HELLLLLOOO!!!! You want to know what I want, I tell you, and you DON'T get it? :eek: :faint: FTR, he went shopping for the waffle iron AFTER we had the glove conversation. :sad2: :laughing:

You should end conversations like that with: That would make a great Christmas present to me. That's how I got some of the things I wanted this year. :goodvibes Early in my marriage I would get crappy gifts like a pizza pan and various small appliances. His gifts have gotten much better over the years.

wardfamily1 wrote: I think I'm getting DH a vaccuum cleaner next christmas

Make sure it's a dual-bag model!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

TC:cool1:

You should end conversations like that with: That would make a great Christmas present to me. That's how I got some of the things I wanted this year. :goodvibes Early in my marriage I would get crappy gifts like a pizza pan and various small appliances. His gifts have gotten much better over the years.

I thought the "I'd like a pair of those, they work great" would have been a great hint for him, especially since he hadn't gotten me anything at that point. :sad2:

FTR, they are great gloves that I wanted-the brand is Exhale, and they're about $25, they would have been the perfect gift. THey have a valve that you blow into when your hands get cold and it warms them up instantly. I guess I'll be going to the mall this weekend. :sad2: That is, right after I eat my waffles. :rolleyes:

This year DH gave me beef jerky. I don't even like beef jerky!

He said he was hungry the day he shopped, bought it for himself and then forgot about it. Found it this morning as he was putting my stocking together and threw it in there. :confused3

:rotfl:

A toss up between itchy Kmart PJs and an ear splitting surround sound system that he reall bought for himself.

I was eager to open my first Christmas gift from my then boyfriend. We were at my parents house and I saved the gift from him for last, knowing it would be the best. It was a Corning Grab-It bowl. Didn't even come with a lid. :laughing: What says romance more than a storage bowl? :rotfl: He did improve with age, we still have the bowl (and I bought a lid for it...my storage bowls have to have lids ;) ) and it will last longer than the marriage. :)

The one present I got from DH this year was wrapped up in a small, jewelry sized box.

I opened it up to find... a spare key to my SUV. It also came with a spare key fob for the alarm/door locks and a keychain sized spare to our garage door opener.

Now granted, I didn't have a spare key and it is the type of key that has to be programmed at the dealership but I think I will have to work on my hint giving skills for next Christmas.

One year I got a pink striped bathrobe, which he loved. It had hugh stripes that went around. I looked like an elephant in it. Thank God he bought it too big, and when I returned it for the correct size, they were out of that particular one, so I exchanged it for a solid blue one.

Once, I got 3 ceramic pigs in aerobics outfits. Each pig was doing a different exercise; had different colored leg warmers on. Pigs doing exercise. Was there a hidden meaning. It was at least 20 years ago and I NEVER asked why? :confused3

Are you sure you didn't marry my ex??
Circa 1992 Christmas. Ex went to the dollar store and bought three pig figures in a box called "Three sport pigs" Each pig was doing a sport. He was all excited about giving these to his grandma. I said I wanted no part of that gift!!
Flash to our Christmas party and I was sitting at the kitchen table with his brother and sister while he watched his grandma open his gift. You could see the confused look on her face and he states very loudly, "Get it? Sport pigs. Gayle picked them out" :scared1: :scared1:
Yeah, now you understand why he's my ex!!

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And the excuse? "I didn't know what to get you." So get SOMETHING!

This has happened more than once, including the first year we were married (26 years ago), and this year.

This year he actually did go out two days before Christmas, but couldn't find the things I had specifically asked for and didn't think to get anything else.

If it wasn't for DD15 I would have truly gotten absolutely nothing for Christmas. Somehow she managed to come up with great gifts that I didn't even know existed. Oh, and I did get a lovely poem from DD9.

ETA: AND he had the nerve to ask me to wrap the presents he got for his coworkers. Needless to say, I said No.

ETA2: DD15 tells me that he was with her when they got one of the CDs. So I guess he got me something after all!

My DF has been awesome about presents thus far, granted we've only had two Christmases together.

My Mom on the other hand has received the same wrong present from my dad three years in a row! Every year she asked for a curling iron, and every year my dad bought her the same blow dryer. :lmao:

Why my mom didn't resort to buying her own curling iron and bypassing my dad within those three years, I don't know (and she kept the identical blow dryers). But it's a hilarious story nonetheless. I remember her the last year huffing angrily and saying, "Gosh darnit, if you didn't do it again!" while my dad blinked at her in bewilderment, totally oblivious to what he had done wrong. :confused3

:lmao:

:sad2:

I had to laugh at this because my 8 year old ds ASKED for a memory foam mattress topper for Christmas. He got it and was so excited!

My worst gift was a glass box with light up flowers in it - you know the kind with the fiber optic lights? It was sooo fugly - I don't know what he was thinking.

Another winner was a toothpick holder from Hoover dam where my now ex-husband had taken his girlfriend to the week before when he was supposed to be in Vegas on business. Guess he didn't think I would find out.

He had his Mommy write down all his favorite foods and how to make them in a spiral .
Now you know why he buys me Mercedes and DVC for gifts . He was almost single that year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter