What is the story behind the Haunted Mansion?

Disneymoon2007

Earning My Ears
:idea: :idea: I don't know the story. Is there somewhere to read it on here? I'd like to know the story behind Madame Leota and the headless groom

up until recently, the haunted mansion didn't have a back story. a bunch of guests and CMs developed their unofficial backstory over the years, but the reality is one was never decided on because there were too many key imagineers working on the project and it was a case of too many cooks. tony baxter has said the official backstory was simply 'it's a retirement home or ghosts.'

there's been a retrofitted backstory that was added to disneyland and i believe wdw has it now (i'll see it tomorrow or whenever) which involves a serial killing bride. i don't really think leota even plays into it to be honest.

The 2008 ed of the Unofficial guide has a story of the HM. I just read it last night. That was the first time I heard anything like that. It was rather interesting. :)

Here is a response I had made to a question about the "ring" but it also answers the question about the story of the Haunted Mansion.

Posts: 104 Yes, the "ring" has been taken out. From what I understand, the ring was interfering too much with the story of the attraction. Also, imagineers didn't want to confuse guests because the "ring" was actually an old piece of steel pipe that was there from an exit gate. The "ring" also doesn't fit the story of the bride, especially since the re-vamp of the Haunted Mansion. If the attic, you'll notice that the bring is especially fond of luxury, so why would she so carelessly throw her ring out the window? Also, it has been said that the "ring" was taken out because the Haunted Mansion to this day remains a non-linear story attraction, meaning there is no one set story to the mansion, but a series of events. The "ring" made it feel like the predominant story was about the bride and Master Gracey. According to the pictures in the attic, the bride has no connection, marriage or not, to Master Gracey.

I also agree that it is commonly told that the best story for the Haunted Mansion was told by Walt Disney, that it is a "retirement home for ghosts." :)

If you read comic books Slave Labor Graphics put out a series of six Haunted Mansion comics that have stories for many of the mansion's ghosts including the origin story for the mansion told in six parts. In each book you get one part of the story of Master Gracey, the bride, Leota, and the mansion. Very well written. The basis for the comics is the DisneyLand Mansion. The comics also tie into Pirates of the Caribbean a bit. The comic story is much better and makes more sense than the Eddie Murphy movie.

It's too bad they already made a Haunted Mansion movie, but it was that dumb comedy with Eddie Murphy.

I think people would go to a PG kind of truly spooky Disney's Haunted Mansion movie!

Or at least it would make a wonderful Halloween special for ABC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter