• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the Scam by Disney????

DisneyWisher

DIS Veteran
I was just checking my dates only to see if they had ASMu or ASsports standard available. I entered the wrong check out date. Trip is 1/26 - 1/28 but I enter 1/26 - 2/1 and they had rooms available. When I corrected the date it no longer had rooms available. Whats the deal?? I could understand if I was adding rooms have no longer available but if the rooms are there for the whole 6 days why not for just 2? Maybe this is why we are seeing so many resorts supposed booked up. If I wasn't given Disney gift cards by friends and family for Christmas for my little get-away I'd cancel. I live in FL about 3 hours away from DW and have never had problems getting last minute ressies for a room I'm talking calling Saturday and leaving Sunday. I was even able to get a room for the Monday that Wilma blew through. After the hurricane, checking to make sure everyone (Friends and family) were ok DD14 and I were off to Disney (hot meals, TV, Hot showers).

Something is just wrong!!

I know many hotels impose minimum stay requirements from time to time. I was not aware Disney did that though.

It could be that the level of room you are asking for is sold out. Like if you are trying for a Florida Resident discount or an Annual Passholder discount or even an AAA discount. Or if one night of the two is sold out. This happens to me when I'm looking for a hotel for a NASCAR race. Friday and Sunday nights are available (obviously not at Disney World) but getting a Saturday night reservation can be tricky. It's not a scam, it's just what happens.

I was just checking my dates only to see if they had ASMu or ASsports standard available. I entered the wrong check out date. Trip is 1/26 - 1/28 but I enter 1/26 - 2/1 and they had rooms available. When I corrected the date it no longer had rooms available. Whats the deal?? I could understand if I was adding rooms have no longer available but if the rooms are there for the whole 6 days why not for just 2? Maybe this is why we are seeing so many resorts supposed booked up. If I wasn't given Disney gift cards by friends and family for Christmas for my little get-away I'd cancel. I live in FL about 3 hours away from DW and have never had problems getting last minute ressies for a room I'm talking calling Saturday and leaving Sunday. I was even able to get a room for the Monday that Wilma blew through. After the hurricane, checking to make sure everyone (Friends and family) were ok DD14 and I were off to Disney (hot meals, TV, Hot showers).

Something is just wrong!!
The best thing to do is just call, and find out what they can do for you for the dates you want.

I noticed that several times, usually when the stay includes a Saturday night. Basically, Disney doesn't want to "give up" that room for 2 days, when someone might want to pay for it for a week.

Don't pay attention to that. Try it again. Last week when I booked for POP it would give me a total. I would then add "plus dining" & it would come back "no rooms available.....". It did this every time I checked a few different hotels & when I was showing the totals to my husband & father. I would just click on the same thing & it would be fine. I don't think it's Disney, I think it's their website. Or, like others said, give them a call!! Good luck :thumbsup2

Don't pay attention to that. Try it again. Last week when I booked for POP it would give me a total. I would then add "plus dining" & it would come back "no rooms available.....". It did this every time I checked a few different hotels & when I was showing the totals to my husband & father. I would just click on the same thing & it would be fine. I don't think it's Disney, I think it's their website. Or, like others said, give them a call!! Good luck :thumbsup2

I ditto this...happened to us before when we booked the CBR, try again..

I agree with the others. Generally the CMs on the phone have more accurate information than what is on the website. I had the opposite happen to me when I booked for my last trip. The website showed there were standard rooms available at the WL, but when I called, the CM said the standard rooms were sold out. So I definitely recommend calling for reservations.

I can do one better than that. I had a 5 night ressie and I called to drop the last night about 3 months prior to our visit. Their response was "let me see if a 4 night stay is available." Well, it was but I questioned their comment and was told that they block off rooms for stays of different lengths (ex. 3 night, 4 night, etc) Strange, but it's what they told me.

Tammy

I can do one better than that. I had a 5 night ressie and I called to drop the last night about 3 months prior to our visit. Their response was "let me see if a 4 night stay is available." Well, it was but I questioned their comment and was told that they block off rooms for stays of different lengths (ex. 3 night, 4 night, etc) Strange, but it's what they told me.

Tammy

I hope I am not going to run into the same thing. I booked 11 nights at POFQ not knowing what our best airfare option would be. Now that airfare has been booked, I need to call back and drop one day off the beginning and two days off the end.

This was on the advice of someone here. I'm almost afraid to call now.

I noticed that several times, usually when the stay includes a Saturday night. Basically, Disney doesn't want to "give up" that room for 2 days, when someone might want to pay for it for a week.

Exactly. I often find no availability for Fri and Sat nights, but when I add on either Thurs or Mon, a room miraculously opens up.

I have heard many say that they just book the minimum nights required and then call back and cancel the days that they do not need.

I hope I am not going to run into the same thing. I booked 11 nights at POFQ not knowing what our best airfare option would be. Now that airfare has been booked, I need to call back and drop one day off the beginning and two days off the end.

This was on the advice of someone here. I'm almost afraid to call now.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I would be surprised if you run into a problem. The room has already been taken out of inventory for eleven days. You're just putting it back for three.

Our trip for WL was unavailable for std room during last week of Jan online. Called WDTC and it was available. The website would keep directing me to more expensive resorts or Saratoga.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

My experience for our December stay...I originally booked 8 days at the Poly..then rented points from a member and dropped 4 days, then rented more points and dropped 2 days. I ended up with 2 days only from an original 8 day stay and not one time when I called did a rep have a problem with my changes.
Take care and enjoy your trip!

I agree with the others. Generally the CMs on the phone have more accurate information than what is on the website. I had the opposite happen to me when I booked for my last trip. The website showed there were standard rooms available at the WL, but when I called, the CM said the standard rooms were sold out. So I definitely recommend calling for reservations.

The difference in the website and CRO inventory of rooms is probably what leads to upgrades at checkin. if the website lets you book a standard that isnt really available, unless someone cancels, somebody is probably going to get upgraded at check in. My guess is the internet inventory updates are slightly delayed.

I was told it has to do with algorithms that are supposed to make it easier to assign inventory at the resort if there are X # of 3 night stays, 5 night stays etc. It seems like 3, 5, 7 and 10 are often the magic numbers. If you are looking for 6 nights and can't find it, try 7 and see if it pops up. Book it and then drop off one night. I've done that many times and never had a problem adjusting it.

I've found the best way to find out if a room is available is via EXPEDIA. While I never book through them, it gives me a quick/good overview of what rooms are (or aren't) available.

However, many times when doing a search (on Expedia) it will say 'lodging does not allow check on the date you requested'. Which I think it like what others posted--they don't want to block out those dates for a short period of time if they can 'sell' them for longer. Normally the dates of check in that I'm looking at is a Sat or Sun (since I'm local I often just go for the weekend).

But it's still quicker/easier to see if ANY rooms are available at any of the hotels rather than trying to utilize the disneyworld.com reservation system.

I've also encountered where I tried to book a room as an annual passholder and it said there were no rooms available only to check Expedia and find rooms. Again, like others said, it's because it's trying to find a passholders rate which isn't available.

If the on-line booking systems indicate that you can't check in on that date, wouldn't it be the same if you called them as well? For example, if the on-line system says that rooms aren't available wouldn't it be the same if you called them???

You also have to remember that if you check 31 days, or more, before a particular date then it might show rooms not available but if you check AFTER 30 days or less--rooms will open up due to the cancellation deadline.

Just a heads-up that if you ever need to CANCEL less than 30 days before you trip--they won't do it. But we've had great luck in RESCHEDULING (if that's an option for you). For example, over Thanksgiving I got terribly sick the day before and we called them and tried to cancel. They weren't going to do it but since we've gone so many times and plan to go again we asked if we could just reschedule and they were happy to do that--with no penalty. They just moved the deposit to the new date as well. Not sure if it will work for everyone and everytime though.

I had this happen once-- I wanted 4 nights with a particular discount and only 5 nights would show up available.

I called Disney and the CM said to just book it as 5 and then call back to remove the last night. I called about 10 seconds after booking it and they removed it, it was not a problem at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter