what is the most annoying thing on a flight

People who scrum to get on the plane as if it would leave without them. I have a fear of getting onto a plane (used to be afraid of the whole flying experience, but I've actually learned to be ok with the flying part, it's the whole airport experience that frightens me more than anything). We just about always request to go on the plane at the very very end, when everybody is on there and pretty much seated to avoid the floodgates of tears. We now only fly PE or better to avoid most the trouble I have.

Also, kids. Sorry. Most of the time, they are absolutely fine. But last year we had a 2 year old seated before us. Before getting on to the plane, we were queuing to get on (this was our first time in PE so decided to try to get on sooner rather than wait until the end as usual, bad idea) and people were little not giving each other any space. This woman with that 2 year old was behind us, holding the kid on her arm. All of the sudden for no good reason, he lets off an almighthy scream right into my ear. Ouch, so I turn around look at the kid wondering "what the heck?" and the mum looks at me as if I just offended her little angel. Then it turns out they are seated right in front of us in the PE bubble. For 9 hours (the flight was delayed) this kid would run up and down, scream, climb onto those lockers on the sides of the seat and onto the one next to DH (he was sitting in the last row). We were not amused, but mum would not do anything to make him quiet down for even 2 seconds. She was also clearly not amused that we were obviously less than impressed and gave us the evil eye. I appreciate that flying with small children can not always be easy, but to let them run ammock and visibly annoy other people (who are also trying to enjoy their holidays) is not on :mad:

OMG - this drives me MAD to. I wish the ground crew would not let them board if its not the row they have called, but they let em on anyway, then when you finally make it through the crowds you can't get your stuff in the overhead locker because all the queue jumpers got on first. Grrrr:mad:

Yeah tell me about it luckiyl just being me and DF we hardly take any thing on the flight so we just sit until nearly every one is oon but what is it with people not sitting on their own seat its like this one is empty ill sit here

other thing when plane has landed and not even stopped or near airport and every one has their belts off and is ready to stand up all you have is a wait for your bags

Don't you just hate it when you get on a plane and the captain announces you're departing as everyone's on board, and you just know it's going to a really terrible flight because the cabin looks like this:

P1030819.JPG

Couldn't resist, sorry..... we had the shock of our lives when we'd barely sat down at the back of the plane (so we boarded first out of the economy passengers) and the captain announced we were all set to go!!! :teeth:

On a serious note, i have no objection to the person in front reclining, as long as they pop it back up during meals.

One thing that does really aggravate me is having my friend woken up for dinner by the steward/ess - this only happened once as i now jump in before they poke her, but seriously, if she's sleeping, she's not wanting food and will most likely top up your profits by buying some snacks later when she's awake!

Minor bug i know, but still a bug!

I also really hate the fact that the little plane on the map screen moves so slowly - just when you think you're a short distance from landing the ETA readout helpfully displays something like "3 Hrs 40 mins" - but we're only an inch away from orlando!!!!!! Can't do much about the plane speed, but when you're having a flight that drags (you know, you get restless, no interesting movies to keep you occupied etc) it really doesn't help. No matter how much i try not to look at it, DW or a friend will helpfully look at the screen and declare loudly "only another X hours to go". You can practically hear everyone in earshot groaning......

other thing when plane has landed and not even stopped or near airport and every one has their belts off and is ready to stand up all you have is a wait for your bags

Totally agree... what's the point in cramming to get off the plane - you're not actually going to get out any quicker since you've got customs and baggage claim to go through, if you're too quick you're stuck waiting anyway!

Trolley falling on you, like it did to me when we sat in the exit seats!!
TV not working?
I-POD battry flat!!

Also, kids. Sorry. Most of the time, they are absolutely fine. But last year we had a 2 year old seated before us. Before getting on to the plane, we were queuing to get on (this was our first time in PE so decided to try to get on sooner rather than wait until the end as usual, bad idea) and people were little not giving each other any space. This woman with that 2 year old was behind us, holding the kid on her arm. All of the sudden for no good reason, he lets off an almighthy scream right into my ear. Ouch, so I turn around look at the kid wondering "what the heck?" and the mum looks at me as if I just offended her little angel. Then it turns out they are seated right in front of us in the PE bubble. For 9 hours (the flight was delayed) this kid would run up and down, scream, climb onto those lockers on the sides of the seat and onto the one next to DH (he was sitting in the last row). We were not amused, but mum would not do anything to make him quiet down for even 2 seconds. She was also clearly not amused that we were obviously less than impressed and gave us the evil eye. I appreciate that flying with small children can not always be easy, but to let them run ammock and visibly annoy other people (who are also trying to enjoy their holidays) is not on :mad:

I'll bet any money you haven't got children. Sometimes they do scream for no reason. Especially a two year old.

There is no excuse for parents not parenting though, when the kids are running around.

You are lucky you are not on VS015 in the 13th September, we keep our children well behaved and under control, but my son is Autistic and will certainly scream and get upset at some point... How do you know that this 2 year old you have spoken about didn't have an invisible disability like Autism? Could explain the mother being upset with you. Seeing this from both sides, it's very easy to judge..

...Sitting waiting for the final 2 passengers to get on, where to they go, there always seems to be two who bimble on late having kept the other 300 passengers waiting.
Definitely!!! Happened on our flight back from Malaga in the summer. They were made to feel v-e-r-y guilty tho' (actually the lady cried and I felt sorry for her) as both the crew and the captain explained to the rest of the passengers that the delay meant we'd lost our slot etc...

Weird little kids who stare at you between the seats in the style of Jack Nicholson in The Shining.:rotfl:
So true!!! :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

...Crying children. I know that there are reasons for meltdowns and crying babies, but it cuts through you like a knife...
::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: Thank the god of travel for iPods!!! :worship:

...my poor friend and her family were upgraded for free on a BA flight (for very good reasons, too long to go into) - when she was eventually asked what she wanted to eat and dared to ask for the fillet steak, the cabin crew turned and said in a very loud voice - "you've not paid to be here therefore you don't deserve to fed like those that have":scared1::sad2::sad2: Deary me.
OMG!!! How nasty!!! :sad2:

Personally the seat relcining thing doesn't bother me too much as long as they put it back up during meal times. :goodvibes

Having two little uns of my own I can safely say that we as parents do our best to keep them quiet and under control, but occasionally (esp when lap sitting) it is inevitable that they will accidentally kick the person in front.

DS was unwell on the last trip on the way out and was sleeping on me for most of the time, (nice and quiet ;)) when he tried to turn over he stretched his legs out and kicked the seat in front which was met with totally disapproving you are the worlds worst parent looks from the woman in front of us. I can honestly say that I was holding DS's feet to try and stop this from happening. It upsets me though because we are all on a flight to Orlando - hmm expect there to be no kids on it?? Come on. :confused3

...Having two little uns of my own I can safely say that we as parents do our best to keep them quiet and under control, but occasionally (esp when lap sitting) it is inevitable that they will accidentally kick the person in front.

DS was unwell on the last trip on the way out and was sleeping on me for most of the time, (nice and quiet ;)) when he tried to turn over he stretched his legs out and kicked the seat in front which was met with totally disapproving you are the worlds worst parent looks from the woman in front of us. I can honestly say that I was holding DS's feet to try and stop this from happening. It upsets me though because we are all on a flight to Orlando - hmm expect there to be no kids on it?? Come on. :confused3

I don't think anyone can mind the odd kick, Gems... :hug: I know when my youngest DS was a certain age, it was almost impossible for him not to kick the seat in front as his legs were just at that length! But we did our best and, as a family of five, I always tried to seat us 3 behind, 2 in front so if he was going to kick, it would be one us of that experienced it... :goodvibes

I am so looking forward to flying now - so many good memories :lmao:

My personal pet peeve is people who remove their shoes during a flight and have stinky feet!!! DISGUSTING!!! I was nearly retching on our flight to Dubai when this man kicked off his loafers... :sick:

Invasion of personal space for me. Last Summer in First Choice's premium offering at the front of the plane, we had 4 seats, my wife was in the front row with my son, people from std economy were coming into the cabin to use the toilet and standing in my wifes seating space, at one point this woman leaned over her, putting her hand on my wifes head rest to look out the window, luckily my autistic son didn't go into meltdown! I told the crew, who did nothing. Hence me travelling with Virgin this summer...

ha yes being woken up for food I know when flying longhaul you always get your food but when flying with a certain airline last year when we booked i requested not to have a meal dont expect a discount just dont want to it cant stand the stuff I was woken up to be told i was not having any thing to eat and not just tapped i was shaken

also on that flight me and DF are lucky we arent scared of flying one of the cabin crew was counting down till landing he got it wrong and when we still hadnt landed after his count down he said oh no we are going to crash and all die me and DF couldnt believe our ears

we are not flying with that company this year (THANKFULLY)

Oh yes

Ever sit near the toilets when they've served a spicy curry or similar for the meal..........
:sick:

I try to avoid seats near the loos in general :sick: and DH doesn't like the smell coming from the serving area - I think I should just get us nose plugs :sad2:

I try to avoid seats near the loos in general :sick: and DH doesn't like the smell coming from the serving area - I think I should just get us nose plugs :sad2:

I deliberately make sure i check in online 23hrs 59 mins before we go purposely to get the best choice of seats - i go for the rear of the plane (tends to be the longest economy section without loos, galley etc) and choose the seats slap bang between the front section with bulkhead seats (for mother/baby etc) and the back section with loos and/or galley). Normally sorts me out right :)

Adults who proceed to drink throughout the whole flight and let their kids do exactly as they please. We had a couple of families like this a few of years ago. They were in and out the galley, up and down the stairs and literally running down the aisle when possible, shouting at one another from one end of the place to the other. In the end the stewardess had to ask them to keep their kids in check. They didn't like it but it toned down a bit.

At least this time we will be in the back row in the bubble so hopefully it will be quieter!!

this thread has made me think, i was going to stump up for an upgrade, but seems the issues are the same wherever you fly.
maybe we should get evryone to sign a appropriate behaviour agreement before they are allowed to sit behind/next to us;):rotfl2:

perhaps I could make a fortune by setting up an adults only airline..

Now that i would pay for!!!

I don't mind kids (couldn't eat a whole one :rotfl: ) but the ones that run amuck on the flights are a nightmare. Im afraid that I am one of these people that will speak my mind and tell a child to stop kick the seat, pulling the chair etc etc. Thats just me. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter