• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the difference btwn POFQ+POR?

laura12581

I love WDW and DCL!!
Which would you rec for two twenty-something adults on a romantic vacation?
Thanks for you input!
Laura

POFQ & POR are sister resorts. The room sizes are the same, they both have two beds or one king, two sinks/bath area. They both have a food court and the boat to DTD. POR has the sit down restuarant, which isn't a few walk from FQ.

The basic difference is the theming. POFQ is my favorite resort. I love the New Orleans charm: the coble streets, the pastel buildings, the old street lamps. The pool has the great big dragon, and the colors on that are just beautiful. We like that the resort is small, so that no matter which building you are in, you are close to everything. The bus picks up at FQ first which is a good thing, and drops off first.

POR is pretty and has two sections, the bayou and the mansions. I stayed here once and liked it enough, but just prefer the smallness of FQ. Everything is on a bigger scale at Riverside. Since the resort has more rooms, the food court, gift shop and bus areas are bigger. There is an internal road and four bus stops around the resort.

Both have beautiful landscaping and have a romantic feel to them. I am pretty biased toward FQ, so obviously, I'd go there.

this hotel is smaller of the two. POR is big some room are faraway from pool food bar. didn't like POR did like POFQ. I think you will like it there . But you can take a boat to the other resort you don't stay at. A must see is the Panio bar at POR go at night and have some great fun. the sing along is great.

Me and my bf are also in our twentys and are staying at the POFQ oct 24-31. I cant wait I think we picked a perfect resort for the two of us. I liked the idea of a smaller resort an the carriage rides look romantic.

Differences:

POR: Much bigger, more pools, more bus stops, bike/boat/horse drawn carriage ride, sit-down restaurant

POFQ: smaller, only one bus stop, no sit-down restaurant -- just a food court

I've stayed at both POR and POFQ. IMO, POFQ is much more romantic. The buildings are beautiful colors, are framed into wonderful little garden courtyards. POFQ is wonderfully quiet and laid back. Consider paying a few dollars extra to get one king size bed at POFQ -- those double beds aren't too comfy if you're used to more space. If you book a waterview room, request "river view" instead of "pool view". And if book standard view, request "courtyard view".

Both POR and POFQ have a boat in the evenings that will take you to Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island -- lots of fun for a young couple. Also, POR is a pleasant 10 minute walk from POFQ -- on a path along the river.

Enjoy your trip!

I agree with the other posters. We just returned from POFQ. I am a single male and had three teenaged biys (17) with me. We had a great time. The one thing I was thinking on the trip is that although the resort was fantastic with the trees and atmosphere, it would have been really special with someone that I was in an intimate relationship with.

I could see me holding hands with that special one walking along the banks of the river, or simply sitting on one of the benches listening to the birds etc. I had a great time with the boys, but that was a male bonding trip. I think that resort can be really "sumpthin" for a couple in love!

We went to the Port Orleans Riverside on our honeymoon. Our travel agent suggested it because she said it was more of a quite resort for couples. I loved it. The Magnolia Bend mansions were really romantic. At the end of a long day the quiet pools were ideal and not crowded. I highly recommend it.

The following is a post I made not too long ago regarding the same question. I cannot stress enough how this is a resort for couples. My boyfriend and I (both in mid 20's) had a blast here and will not go to any other moderate or value as a result. I think my reasons here will tempt you enough along with everyone stressing how it truly is a quiet, romantic resort for couples (but they do try to accomodate families).

POFQ all the way....in our opinions, it would be silly to stay at POR...no flames, please...just how we feel...

Pros of POFQ

1. Very, very small resort
2. Exceptionally quiet, relaxing, and romantic resort
3. Offers a comfortable environment for couples
4. Grounds are outstanding
5. Rooms are clean, comfortable, and newly refurbished
6. Food court is wonderful and convient
7. Soft, pleasing jazz music is pumped throughout the resort, but not so loud you hear it from your room or conversation is limited
8. Beignets, beignets, beignets! )
9. Wonderful gift shop
10. Lovely sassagoula river flows along the edge of the resort...you can take a boat to Downtown Disney from here as well as participate in fishing excursions if you sign up through Disney recreation
11. Doubloon Lagoon Pool...has a serpent and King Triton from The Little Mermaid sitting on top of him...this is the pool's large water slide...the pool is in a swirvy shape and very nice
12. Scat Cat's Club...a lounge with regular jazz performers
13. Nice arcade for recreation
14. Pizza delivery until 12 midnight; bakery open until midnight
15. Pool bar open until dusk
16. Horse Drawn Carriage rides
17. In walking distance of POR so you can walk or take transportation there to use their restaurant or bike rentals
18. Caring staff
19. Excellent mousekeeping service
20. Comfortable beds with fresh sheets

And perhaps one of the *BEST* reasons to stay at POFQ....

21. YOU GET PICKED UP BY THE BUS FIRST!!!!!!! This alone is worth its weight in gold. POR and POFQ share transportation except for late nights at Magic Kingdom. POFQ guests will be picked up first and then driven about two minutes to POR to pick up more. If you stay at POR, you may not always get a seat. You also get DROPPED OFF FIRST! So, after a long day at the parks, you get dropped off and then POR guests go on their merry way. We have vowed never to stay at POR because of this transportation issue alone.

well... as you can tell from my sig... we love riverside. as a matter of fact, i recently posted a message to someone about this resort, so i am just going to copy my message from there to here...

It has a relaxing type of theme. A southern new orleans, "Mark Twain/Davie Crockett" feel to it.

Connected to building with check in and the gift shop is a bar, where there is a guy that is there at night during the week where he sings and plays on an animated type piano (it lifts off of the ground and sways from side to side), and he gets the audience involved in his act. :rolleyes1 It is really hysterical to watch. When you get there, if ask the cast members at check in what times that he is there, so you may want to catch it.

Connected to the bar is Boatwright's Dining hall. I haven't eaten there, but have heard from some other dis'er's that it is good. Connected to that is a food court, where you can get just about anything there. When we come back from the parks, and don't feel like going to a "restaurant" and waiting to be seated, etc., this is where we go.

343%3C558723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B%3B%3C37847ot1lsi

Just outside of the building in view from the food court is part of the river, where you can rent paddle boats, bicycles, etc. or if you would like to go to downtown disney, you can take the ferry boat there. it is very convient, and at night, very peaceful. :angel:

343%3C558723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B%3B%3C3785%3Bot1lsi

343%3C558723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B%3B%3C37%3A53ot1lsi

343%3C558723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B%3B%3C379%3C%3Aot1lsi

Bayou Section: these are rooms that are decorated to look like st. louis style theme (similar to that of pofq)

343%3B%3A36723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323893%3A55857ot1lsi

Mansion section: These look more like colonial mansions on the outside, with a different decor on the inside. They are on the other side of the river. Building 90, would be the closest to the food court etc.

343%3C558723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B%3B%3C37%3A33ot1lsi

343%3B%3A36723232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3245%3E754%3E36%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3232984962%3C85nu0mrj

343%3B%3A36723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323893%3A5448%3Aot1lsi

Everynight at 7pm there is a campfire at a site behind the main pool with the slide, where they roast marshmellows and smores, and sing songs. Someone once told me that depending on the ages of the children that end up having to some to the fire on each particular night, they'll tell ghost stories too, unless there are objections. last time that i was there they weren't doing this... someone at the front desk told me that they usually do this seasonally... so, ask about it when you check in.

I don't know if you are into fishing, but there is a "catch and throw" fishing area. Where you can rent rods and bait and fish, or learn to fish.

There are horse carriage rides there as well. Not sure how far they will take you, but they depart from the area where you can rent paddle boats.

343%3C558723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B%3B%3C37%3A39ot1lsi

The pools there are nice. There are "quiet" pools, that are placed all around the resort, so the "main" pool called "ol' man island" doesn't get too packed. These pools do not have life guards, but the main one does. At the main one, there is a slide, a hot tub, and a kiddy pool for the little ones, like my godson. There is also a bar near the main one too.

343%3B%3A36723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2336%3D845%3D45%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2323893%3A54984ot1lsi

Here is a great site that I have found useful for looking at some disney resorts. The phone number for the resort is listed on here too. They have pictures of almost every area around the resort, and images of the resort map, menus with prices from the food court, boatwrights, the bar, etc. so you have an idea of how much things cost, or get an idea of what they serve there...http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/dxl.html

Sorry this is sooo long, but you got me started on talking about our second home. if there are any more questions, please feel free to ask...

good luck, and have fun!

Jen ::MinnieMo :earsgirl:

We like both resorts but prefer POFQ... for many of the reasons noted by others. I think you will be happy at both ... Riverside is close enough you can walk along the river to get there and take advantage of the sit-down restaurant or larger food court. It also has a larger gift shop. Piano man Bob at the lounge is also a hoot. Very, very good! Worth the trip to see. The boat between DTD and the resorts is also very nice. You can catch from either....but in terms of romantic...the first 6 years we went (without kids) it was just DH and myself. We enjoyed POFQ ... very quaint...very nice. I think you will be happy at either resort .... have fun! Enjoy yourself!

First off, I've only stayed at POR and we all loved it. I did visit POFQ when we were there last time to take the kids to the pool. I'd have to say that I think the secluded feeling of POR is more "romantic". POFQ is smaller than POFQ but that kind of takes away romantic feeling. It looked more hotel-ish to me than POR. POR's lush landscaping, little ponds, and magnolia trees are simly beautiful. Also you have a sit down restaurant and horse drawn carriages. I've only stayed in the more rustic Alligator Bayou section, but I've heard the Mansions are victorian and probably even more romantic. Whatever you choose, I hope it's truly magical for you :)

I have stayed at both and POFQ is by far my favorite. I found it very quaint and quiet. Recently rehabed. Nice atmosphere to stroll the grounds. I think being smaller it appeals to alot of people, although the grounds at both resorts are very peaceful. Gotta get a Bignet too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter