What is the deal with standing at parades and fireworks

I too think it must be a safety issue. Although I think that if anything were to ever happen it would be a disaster no matter if people were sitting or standing, the whole firework/parade crowd is a an accident waiting to happen... way, way too many people in one small area! I absolutely hate the fireworks/parade deal. I know im in the very tiny minority but I wish they'd get rid of it altogether or limited the number of people allowed in those areas at a time. Its terrible having to get through there especially if there is an emergency. I've experienced this myself, being diabetic and feeling a low blood sugar attack coming on & needing to get access to help. A few weeks ago we were pushing our way through and a poor mother had an unconcious child in a stroller trying to run through the over crowded sidewalk to get to the first aid. She was screaming and people were just staring at her like they weren't giving up their d**n firework seats for her! Its just too out of control!

I too think it must be a safety issue. Although I think that if anything were to ever happen it would be a disaster no matter if people were sitting or standing, the whole firework/parade crowd is a an accident waiting to happen... way, way too many people in one small area! I absolutely hate the fireworks/parade deal.

Let me clarify also by saying that there are a number of safety measures going on that, as Guests, we don't see. The standing as opposed to sitting is just one of many. If there were an emergency, large numbers of people can be moved out of that area in a very short amount of time.

Safety first.

Let me clarify also by saying that there are a number of safety measures going on that, as Guests, we don't see. The standing as opposed to sitting is just one of many. If there were an emergency, large numbers of people can be moved out of that area in a very short amount of time.

Safety first.

If they're so concerned about safety then maybe they SHOULD limit the number of people squeezing onto Main Street and in the hub--maybe tickets earlier in the day? Personally I would SO be in favor of that. I know we have had threads on the Dis previously where there was a crush of people trying to get out after the fireworks and those people were very concerned about stampeding, etc. I'm local so don't go and see the fireworks every time I go to DL. But I would like to see them periodically without having to stake out a spot for hours and feel like a sardine! It's the same reason that I don't go and watch Fantasmic unless I buy the reserved seating (which I have only done once). There's too much to see and do at Disneyland to be sitting for two/three/four hours holding a spot to see a 15 minute presentation.

If they're so concerned about safety then maybe they SHOULD limit the number of people squeezing onto Main Street and in the hub--maybe tickets earlier in the day? Personally I would SO be in favor of that. I know we have had threads on the Dis previously where there was a crush of people trying to get out after the fireworks and those people were very concerned about stampeding, etc. I'm local so don't go and see the fireworks every time I go to DL. But I would like to see them periodically without having to stake out a spot for hours and feel like a sardine! It's the same reason that I don't go and watch Fantasmic unless I buy the reserved seating (which I have only done once). There's too much to see and do at Disneyland to be sitting for two/three/four hours holding a spot to see a 15 minute presentation.

I'd like to ride Splash Mountain in the summer without a 2 hour plus wait, maybe they should limit the amount of people who get to ride per day? Why should I have to wait for so long for a 5 minute attraction? Maybe because other people want to enjoy it also.

If you really Questioned Disney's commitment to your safety, I doubt you would go.

Disney does limit the amount of tickets being sold when in Park attendance reaches a certain limit, it's also monitired by AFD.

Safety first.

You can't just say safety first and belive that Disney has secretly got everything covered. I wasn't safe in that situation and the woman & her child probably didn't feel to safe either. I think that mob is definately a problem.

With the new parade, they have bikes in the street. We were standing with our toes on the tip of the curb, and the bikes were within a fingertip touch of us. There's no way we could have sat. Also, I think standing with the "street party" does get people more "into" it. I know we had 5 spots on the curb, but once the parade started, my 2 teens and dh moved back and let young ones next to us in front of them. Parents were within arm's reach.

No comment on the fireworks because the only place we've seen them is from our balcony at HOJO. I think when we watch them Thursday, we'll watch from It's A Small World.

Brermama,

you have given the first reasonable answer as far as I'm concered about standing during the parade..ok i can see that thanks it makes sense. The fireworks and safety? you can say safety first and all that but I don't see it. nope. I don't see how sitting vs. standing makes a diffrence except to make small children not see. Also disney can pack in more people. As of October 2007 WDW doesn't do that. They may now, but as of then for Wishes you could sit and frankly it was far more orderly. Crowded, sure but not packed in sardine style like last Sat. night.

WOW, this is absolutely amazing to me. I can't believe you have to stand for the parade! At WDW we always sat at the curb on Main St. What a bummer that you can't do that at Disneyland.

As far as fireworks go, we've always stood at WDW in the hub, so I am not surprised there at all, but parades? CRAZY!!:scared1:

I have no problem allowing someones kids to stand in front of us. Actually, we encourage it when we see youngin's around us. I make sure their parents can see them very well. I'm not about to let the entire brood move in front.

Same. I've done that every time that I felt that a kid standing next to or behind me couldn't see for fireworks or Fantasmic.

During fireworks, I tend to sit smack dab in front of the castle ('cause I'm weird like that:rolleyes1) and would have to stand up either way because of the people who "walk" in front of the castle. I get that they have to keep it open as a safety thing, but it still annoys me because people constantly stop to watch the fireworks. I remember when I was there a year ago with my roommate watching the fireworks and a tall guy with a kid on his shoulders stopped right in front of me to watch Tinkerbell fly across the sky.:headache: As a result, I couldn't see a darn thing until Tinkerbell flew back to the Matterhorn and the guy continued walking. If they wanted to watch Tinkerbell, they should have waited like everyone else. Those poor CMs do their best to keep traffic moving, but I always end up shouting at people to keep moving (saying the same spiel that the CMs say). Hands down I wouldn't trade my preferred spot for the world, but it never fails to irk me how people refuse to keep moving when they are being instructed to do so.

With the new parade, they have bikes in the street. We were standing with our toes on the tip of the curb, and the bikes were within a fingertip touch of us. There's no way we could have sat. Also, I think standing with the "street party" does get people more "into" it. I know we had 5 spots on the curb, but once the parade started, my 2 teens and dh moved back and let young ones next to us in front of them. Parents were within arm's reach.

I totally forgot about the bikes. That explains it much better. We never stayed to watch the new parade. The POD is more "predictable" I guess. Thanks.

Brermama,

you have given the first reasonable answer as far as I'm concered about standing during the parade..ok i can see that thanks it makes sense.

I agree. :)

Things became decidedly more "un-safe" when they made us all stand 30 minutes before the fireworks.

When I was in high school, back in 1990, I was almost crushed at a Van Halen concert. I was in the front, general admission (standing only). This was the first incident since that came close to it ...

While it was already difficult to keep our real estate that we had staked out for hours, as soon as they made us stand - the crush was really on. Having my 3 year old daughter and wife - I was about to lose my "stuff" on the group of teenagers (from a high school in Mexico) who were the rudest bunch of folks (including the adult chaperones). They kept bringing people in, and I was literally fighting to keep some breathing room for my family - it was ridiculous. Whenever I would say something, they would look at me like I was a big party-pooper and mutter something in Spanish (I'm sure something real friendly.)

I was real cheesed by this experience - never remember this kind of stuff growing up going to the parks my whole life.

Bottom line, if you plan on getting prime seats ... be prepared for a fight.

I said it before and I will say it again "trampled!"
A fight is more likely to break out with people standing so close and no one see it until everyone starts running towards you, you get knocked over with the kid and trampled. When this happens and lord knows it will, I will be the first person on here to say I told you so.
Disney wants to make money with the fireworks but they will be paying it out in lawsuits if the trampling issue happens.

I may sound harsh and I apologize if I do but I am a VERY safety conscious person especially when it comes to my son and I did NOT feel safe during the fireworks.
That is another reason why we did not stay for the Magical preview. Son was tired I wouldn't be able to hold him and after the first fireworks thing FORGET IT!

If I have a Guest Services Card that says I am clausterphobic (excuse my spelling) does that mean they have to move the crowd around me 5 feet away? (I am being sarcastic by the way)

Bottom line...there were more problems when people were sitting and the fire dept along with DL management felt that it was not safe for people to sit. Yes its a pain to have to stand but if many of you feel that its not safe and that you just feel a lack of space, then see it either in Fantasyland near Dumbo where its not so crowded or go toward the back near the flagpole. Otherwise, I would just stay away from the Hub and avoid Main Street during the fireworks.

Adding to the parade comment - the dancers interact with the crowd and encourage guests to dance the twist, do the conga line, etc., and if people were sitting in the front it would be harder to get people to participate - plus those bikes & stilt walkers, etc., get pretty close to the crowds.

As for the fireworks, I have never sat for them, and I've been going since the 60's to DL. We almost always watched the fireworks from Main Street, and always had to deal with taller people in front. I just figured that is the way it is.

Bottom line...there were more problems when people were sitting and the fire dept along with DL management felt that it was not safe for people to sit. Yes its a pain to have to stand but if many of you feel that its not safe and that you just feel a lack of space, then see it either in Fantasyland near Dumbo where its not so crowded or go toward the back near the flagpole. Otherwise, I would just stay away from the Hub and avoid Main Street during the fireworks.

It would make FAR MORE sense to have the entire section of people in front of the Castle REMAIN SITTING. Instead of a standing mandate ... have people remain seated for Pete Pan's sake.

I understand that when some are standing and some are sitting, this creates a problem for those who cannot see. Remaining seated is a far better "equalizer" than having everyone stand (especially 30 mins. before the show.)

I couldn't freakin' believe it when the CM told everyone to stand 30 mins. before the show. Having already been fighting for my family position in the crowd, this was an absurdity and only led to even more unsafe conditions.

It would make FAR MORE sense to have the entire section of people in front of the Castle REMAIN SITTING. Instead of a standing mandate ... have people remain seated for Pete Pan's sake.

I understand that when some are standing and some are sitting, this creates a problem for those who cannot see. Remaining seated is a far better "equalizer" than having everyone stand (especially 30 mins. before the show.)

I couldn't freakin' believe it when the CM told everyone to stand 30 mins. before the show. Having already been fighting for my family position in the crowd, this was an absurdity and only led to even more unsafe conditions.

Well said Hester!
:worship::thumbsup2

:dance3: these three dancing smilies have more room between them then the people standing for fireworks

Fireworks
When the fireworks start, the lights go out. Now, imagine a situation where the Park needs to be evacuated. It is safer to have the starting point be that in which everyone standing as opposed to having everyone on the ground. If everyone is sitting and evacuation is necessary, inevitably, some will get trampled upon while others who are quicker to stand and move walk/push/panic right over those still sitting. It is a crowd safety issue.

Parades
The Street Party is not a parade. They want everyone up and on their feet for a festive, party, dancing atmosphere. Sort of a "let's all get in the mood" concept. At parades, they have everyone sitting... just like in the sitting area of Fantasmic!

- Dreams

I'm puzzled as to why we had to stand for the parade and the fireworks? It made it hard for my kids to see over the adults all around us. I've never encounterd this before. Was it simply to pack more people in ? If so, that is not cool with me.
I did not take the time to read all the replies but wanted to offer a little advice. Sorry if someone else has already mentioned it.

For smaller kids (less than 5-6 years old?) you can hold them in your arms. (Not on your shoulders please unless no one is behind you!). :) So kids this age can see with the help of adults.

For kids 12 and over they usually can see fairly well in crowds. The problems is kids 7-11 who are too heavy to be held and too short to see in crowds.

When my kids were in this age range I tried to scout the viewing areas ahead of time and look for a curb which will give kids a 4-6 advantage.

For parades there are certain spots where the parade route narrows down such as near the new Pixie Hollow and Matterhorn. These narrow areas make it easier to see the parade for little ones. There are often benches there where you can of course sit and little ones can stand if neccesary.

all this "not being able to see, being crushed, trampled, elbowed, fighting for land" is why I have not watched a fireworks show or fantasmic! In years from a good spot. I'll be paying the high price for dessert seating to see F! Later this year and watching the fireworks hopefully from those seats. I cannot handle the crowds, the rude people and the fear of getting trampled.

I completely enjoyed the timespan when there were No fireworks or fantasmic!
I didn't have to think about "where to avoid" in the park. Those crowds are a Nightmare for me.

...For parades there are certain spots where the parade route narrows down such as near the new Pixie Hollow and Matterhorn. These narrow areas make it easier to see the parade for little ones. There are often benches there where you can of course sit and little ones can stand if neccesary.

That's good advice for the Parade of Dreams, but I don't think that you would want to watch the Celebrate A Street Parade non-parade from Pixie Hollow / Matterhorn.

After the 12-minute show near IASW, the dancers walk quickly to the hub for the second 12-minute show. From Pixie Hollow / Matterhorn you wouldn't see a show, you would see the dancers quickly walking from IASW to the hub.

(After the third show -- at the middle of Main Street -- the dancers exit before they even get to Town Square.)

For the Parade of Dreams, Guests lined up along the entire parade route all the way from Town Square to IASW. But for the CASP most Guests line up only at the 3 show areas (IASW, hub, and the middle of Main St.). That makes those 3 show areas more crowded, and I think that's another reason why Guests end up standing for the CASP.

HTH :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter