What is the biggest expense of your trip?

1. Tickets (around 500ish for both 3-day park hoppers)
2. Room (1600 for 5 nights + tax and parking), although this time we're using Marriott rewards points, so the room is "free" as they're not mine (thank you, mom!)
3. Gas (driving down from Oregon, we make about 3 stops on the way down, 1-2 stops around town visiting family, and then 3 or so more stops on the way up. So let's say 8-10 stops on average and that can run up from 480-600 if we're averaging at $3.99 a gallon)

This trip we are flying in from PDX, and upgrading our 5 day passes to DAP. So this trip that is the biggest expense, then Hotel, then flight and food. We will be there 8 days, 7 nights.

DH and I live in NEOH, where cheap flights aren't common to Los Angeles, and for two adults who use APs our prices lean as follows:

1. Hotel: This December's 8-night stay at the Fairfield is $1048.40.
2. Airfare: $950.69
3. Food: guesstimate $600
4. AP: Technically it's more expensive, but we renew every other year. We do one trip per year and plan two annual trips w/in 365 days. So one year it's nearly the most expensive purchase, the other year is "free". This is our free year but if it weren't, it'd be $1,038 (current Deluxe prices) if purchased this year. Averaged over two years, it's $519 per year.
5. Souvenirs: about $200
6. Shuttle: about $65

Tickets. Even with a military base discount 5 day park hoppers for 6 people = $1630 :scared1: I'm planning on tickets costing us $2000 by August 2015. Saving already :)

Usually hotel since we like the GC but we are staying in our timeshare this time. Overall DL is much cheaper than WDW for us. We averaged $1000 a day for two at WDW including all expenses. I track everything. Air, hotel, parking at the airport, admissions, dining, dog boarding... It really just varies according to what you want and if you have to fly or drive a long way.

Years ago it was tickets. Now it's airfare (from Chicago.) Though our first trip of the year, tickets are the biggest expense because we get APs.

After that, it's food. We love eating at DLR and budget about $125 a day for dining (mostly CS with a couple of TS meals.) We're not big merch people.

1. Park Tickets
2. Airfare for 5 (we knock the price down via frequent flier programs)
3. Food/Souveniers
4. Onsite hotel but only because we are DVC members and paid the initial buy-in cost long ago. So this ranking is based on membership dues alone.
5. Airport transfers

It's usually just DH and me and we're a 6 hour drive so just gas.

Park tickets is our most expensive coming in at about $500 for the pair each trip. DAP's are on my list again for next time though.

I think we're usually pretty even on hotel and food. We're not in the room enough to need a fancy one but we love to eat. lol

Souvenirs is usually our cheapest. I buy an ear hat and an ornament each trip but that's about it.

I wanted to add that for us as west coasters it now costs about the same for us to go to DLR versus Hawaii! The difference in airfare is made up by the cost of park tickets now!!

However we often choose DLR over Hawaii but we do both.

Here is how my last family trip broke down... Bear in mind that the hotel was HALF PRICE, so it kind of screwed up the numbers...This trip had us arriving early evening on Friday and departing mid-afternoon Sunday.

Food $314.52 13.8%
Tips $50.96 2.2%
Fuel $123.01 5.4%
Lodging $450.00 19.8%
Valet $44.00 1.9%
Tax/Surchages $135.23 5.9%
Merchandise $419.70 18.4%
Tickets $723.00 31.8%
Travel Food $14.86 0.7%

Hotel, and I want to say food after that but it's probably souvenirs... gotta fight the temptation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter